There is a guy building a F16 in a way that looks very practical for homebuilding F12 hulls.

Go and look at his pics at :

Nicks F16 building pics

John (flatlander) would this be a method you would be comfortable with ?

If we use some heavy (high density) foam and don't skim on the glass layers the I feel we can have F12 hulls produced by homebuilders that won't be very heavy but still have a very high impact resistance.

The most interesting aspect about this building method is that it allows rounded corners on the keel line. I've learning in Aerodynamics class that that is very important for low drag. In effect you can get away with multichine construction and flat panels as long as the transition from one panel to the other is a large rounded corner. This is the way they made car bodies have low drag. The cars still have relatively flat panels under large angles as the main shapem but the intersection lines are strongly rounded.

I'm think of using this trick to make the F12 hulls relatively low drag without complicating the building of them too much. Pretty much we only need to have rounded edges on the keel line as the aerodynamics of a hull is negligiable in relation to the hydrodynamics. So the rest of the hull can still be a simple flat-paneled-bended-in-one-plane design.

More info on the way of building in this thread on the F16 forum :

Nick comments on the new way of building a cat hull

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 04/17/07 06:22 AM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands