Replying to Tom House comments:

Well Tom, I sail on a lake, so waves are not a problem, but we do get very high downbursts from thunderheads here. I had my Stiletto in a 10 Minute sustained 40+ knots one afternoon. I had dowsed the sails as I saw it coming across the lake. So I was just Motoring. I was trying to get into the lee of some land when it hit. Trying to motor straight into the wind, the Stiletto wanted to try to fly by lifting the front of the hulls up and getting under the tramp. It was very scary.

After talking to some other Owners and my own experience. I learned a few things. Having the center board down even just a little is always a good idea. It keeps the boat from getting blown off course and makes it much easyer to steer. NEVER try to power striaght into the wind with a standard tramp. I have since learned the boat handles very well motorpowering backwards into heavy wind. This of course takes one hand on the tiller and the other on the motor, which can sometime get awkward.

I have gone out in heavy wind to see how the boat handles under bare poles. I will say it does a pretty good job with the centerboard down. I have only done this in 30+ knots of wind.

I will also say the boat with no headsail and a full reef can handle a lot of wind and is pretty stable. The full battens make feathering
the main an easy job.

Every senario is different and these are just my findings. And I'm sure large waves will play into the situation.

I' am always looking and planning for what I call a "Bail Out" plan. I always have a plan in my head for what I would do if a storm or strong wind came up at that moment. Reef early and know mine and the boats limits. Have a plan for if you capsize. Put a phone or handheld VHF in a water tight bag you can get to if the boat goes over. Have everyone wear a life jacket if you think things might get a little hairy. And always have the will to say "It looks a little rough today, I think I'll stay in."