Originally Posted by PTP
which part are you saying to lock stitch?
can't do a brummell splice or lock stitch on the splice because because you need to loosen the splice when it goes over the knot and to be able to undo it

Well, I went ahead and made a couple.

In my first attempt, I tied a chinese button knot first, and buried the end. Then I put an eye in the other end. Unfortunately, I tested opening and closing the eye before putting in a lockstitch and I inadvertently pulled the eye out. At that point, I decided that the bury wasn't long enough anyway, and I should splice the eye first.

On the second try, I did an extra-long bury on the eye, and put a lockstitch in (near the tail of the bury) just to keep the loop in place while I tied the button knot. Then I tied a knife-lanyard-knot and cut off the end flush under the knot. I don't think the lockstitch is structurally necessary, as the stop-knot binds the core in place.

It wasn't that difficult. The hardest part was burying the tail of the eye, and only because I was using too large a fid. It was an interesting exercise, and I'm glad I did it even though I use a snap shackle and don't plan to change it out.

Regards,
Eric

Attached Files
DyneemaShackle.jpg (152 downloads)