Originally Posted by pepin
Originally Posted by ACE11
I'm not sure if there is any smartass white on white text in this question but I'll take it on face value and give the best answer I can.
Nice punch smile

Originally Posted by ACE11
A simple solution would be to add a sleeve to the tack end of your existing boom to get the extra length.
My current boom is aluminum with a rectangular section. Finding a sleeve and an extension that matches is a challenge I don't want to even consider. It's probably cheaper to buy a new boom length in aluminum.

I found that there is carbon tube and carbon tube. Some are uni-directional fibres along the length of the tube, some are mandrel wrapped, some have extra layers on top. Quite the choice!

Thanks for the info so far. Good food for thought.

Sorry I didn't realise the existing section was rectangular. That must mean you have some serious loads on it because of either a lot of angle on your mainsheet to track or the mainsheet is mounted on the boom significantly inboard from the clew. If you're stuck with these things because of he structure of the boat then an over engineered boom is the only way to go. Sounds like some way to extend the boom at the tack end would fix it. A boom that bends under high load isn't good - might break but mainly bags up the bottom of the sail in gusts. Good luck with it.

Cheers
AUS9