Originally Posted by scooby_simon
Originally Posted by Just Todd
It seems that it looks as though,

there is a small 'bar' so to speak on the top of the jib, to help keep the slot open.

Or is that just me seeing things and dreaming?

It looks like there is a small prodder just above the jib - look at the forestay; there is a small change in angle at the prodder.

Also wonder why there is a line from the hounds that then goes out of picture...

Also wonder what is supporting the jib below the point where the bridals meet the forestay; I do not see a second set of bridals lower down!

On other photo's theres another set of very light bridles at the bottom. Bare in mind that this bridle and forestay does not take the loading of the mast, only the jib, as the normal 2 front stays are as per normal A class " split stay ". The jib is only a "Blade " jib and does not come foward enough to the more normal front shroud mounting point.

We had a very long discussion last year on the F16 forum about these Blade jibs and the benefits they did or did not have to the Uni sailor. My argument that they may not produce max efficiency over a Uni main at top flight level, but will allow lessor ability sailors( the more recreational sailor ) to get their optimum efficiency out of the main ( virtually everyone agreed that running a jib allows much easier setting of the main ), can only help the class to get more level racing, I believe still stands.

It will be interesting to see the likes of this top level sailor and how he gets on with it. The one thing that will kill it off other than class racing, is the handicap hit this setup causes. Getting the likes of the SCHRS to react to these new rigs and light boats will be so slow as to kill off what could be an exciting new direction, before it starts.