Some good thoughts here, Bert. Some quick comments:

It is well known that US Sailing does a great job at standardizing RO training, but falls flat when it comes to mark boat and safety boat training. The thought process has always been that the ROs would train their mark boat operators, but it has become fairly obvious that this lacks standardization that could benefit everyone.

We are working on that as we speak, through the Race Management office. There is a model program in development in Newport, and it includes on-water operations.

This is intended to be a good thing, and is coming from the bottom up, so the conspiracy theorists need to give it a rest.

I only have one polite word for a single-handed mark boat: Useless. I have plenty of other words that I won't post here...

USCG is not there for your boat. Ask me how I know...

--------------

All: The safety committee report is now in the hands of the Area Reps, and the comment period is open.

Contact your Area Rep to get a copy and/or provide feedback, we would like to be able to approve this on May 30.

One option would be to approve this document now, and take some additional time to handle the OA recommendations as a separate document, under a new Ad Hoc committee.

Mike