Originally Posted by hobie1616
Any updates on Rick vs. Jack? I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Wave and need info.

TIA

I guess I need to chime in here.

MY system is far superior to what Rick has now (sorry Rick)! Why not go back to your old system then? laugh

He is convinced that he outsailed Hobie 16, 18, 20, etc. I am not calling him out, but those must have been some poorly sailed boats or Mars must have been aligned with Pluto. grin

When we went out last week to go mono-a-mono, Rick had to bail because he couldn't get any luff tension on his rig, but I sailed half way around the island and back and had a ball. Even tried the AC45 thing in front of the restaurants and bars.

Having said that, my hooter or whatever you want to call it works perfectly and goes very fast reaching back and forth.

I cannot sail upwind as fast as a standard Wave and never thought I could. Two things prevent that:

1. You would need a very flat (code zero) cut which I don't want.
2. With the sail furled, you have weight forward and windage that the simple Wave does not have.

So....where does this leave us? My intent was to have an arrangement that I can use in distance handicap races where the chance of long reaches out weighs the chance of a long upwind leg.

I took a lot of detail photos last week and I will try to post them tonight or tomorrow.

PS: It would be much easier if Rick would add a direct photo uploader to this forum. It is very easy to do, BTW, Rick. cool

Jack Woehrle
Hobie Wave #100, Tiger Shark III
HCA-NA 5022-1
USSailing 654799E
Alachua FL/Put-In-Bay