[Linked Image]
minicat9-12 by ammaui, on Flickr

yes Northsea you have a point about the center of effort vs. lateral resistance. The lateral resistance is spread across a distance. I am more artist and rigger than engineer and shouldn't talk engineering. Call the boat a kinetic sculpture.
The idea was to eliminate boards and trunks which are a source of drag. You are correct that there is a little too much weather helm right now, but hopefully canting the rudders more forward will fix that. it seems to work on the Hobie 14.
This boat is made by eye and no calculations were done except for some scaling of 18' cats for the sake of comparison so there will be evolution.
If nothing else i am getting out on the water, having fun, experimenting, and i only spent around $600 so far. Plus i rescued a bunch of styrofoam, sheetfoam, various board building materials and windsurfing equipment from the dumpster. Also i can carry the platform from truck to beach on top my head which is rare for a catamaran.
btw the hobies and prindles that are V are only V-ish. the asymmetrical V gives lift in opposite directions when both hulls are in the water. Symmetrical V seems to give about the same lateral resistance, but is still fast when both hulls are in the water.
the boat is fairly wet in high wind, but did you watch the AC45 races in Naples an Plymouth? Water everywhere and the boats pound significantly.
My camera filled w/water on the first capsize so i only have footage of the lighter sailing. In the real wind i think i need a smaller sail. Right now it is an 8 sq. meter. Also i had hoped to trap out but the mast is too flexible for that right now. A friend speculated that i will break the beams off if i do trap so i may bail on the trapping out. i do think that a sip. beach cat will be upside down frequently on the down wind runs in the kind of wind and swell that i'm dealing with, and that tends to be wet as well.