Originally Posted by Jake
Originally Posted by brucat
Is this a case of not having the cake and eating it too?

The sailors (and other classes in a manner of thinking) voted to make the N17 the Olympic class. No Olympic boat he ever been inexpensive (think variances in established OD boats), and a new design out of the gate can only be worse.

Now ISAF is looking at a foiling option to make this the most exciting Olympic boat ever, and we're complaining?

Mike

Well, technically, a few guys come out of the woodwork to bad mouth the N17 who were clearly Tornado aficionados.

The upper end of the sport is definitely trending that way. I don't see any harm in the Olympics moving that direction. Cost has affected the field but it hasn't exactly prevent there from being a field. It's always been part of the game.

Uh... the most exciting Olympic boat ever, eh? Tornado was bigger, faster, more refined, more responsive. But now a "dead" class, as everyone likes to say.

People usually like to point out that equipment costs are marginal in the grand scheme of a Games campaign. Okay, that's fair. I will even give to you that a new Marstrom T ran $5-10k more than a new N17. The difference?

Marstrom hulls all from the same mould. The pro sailors didn't have to call up Marstrom and ask about what the current lay-up is like. They didn't have to go to the distributor warehouse and check out 10 sets of hulls before buying one. N17 sailors are doing just that. If you think you can call up your Nacra dealer, put the money down for a new N17, and you'll be sailing the same boat that Bora is sailing, you're dreaming, and you're wrong.

Where is the quality control? There is none. The boat hasn't seen an Olympiad yet and some teams are onto hull set numbers 3 and 4. Sarah just bought her third. Ask her what happened to the second.

What happened on the rare occasion a part broke on a Marstrom T? Do what you want, within the rules, and weigh in. You didn't have to buy a "Marstrom licensed" or "Tornado class licensed" replacement. This is called a monopoly. It benefits nobody other than Nacra. Let's talk about the teams breaking parts at regattas worldwide who were unable to obtain replacements in time to remain competitive because Nacra was behind on production, and you can only use "Nacra licensed" parts.

I'll put all my cards on the table. You guys can keep drinking the Kool-Aid and worshipping the "exciting" new N17. At least have some self-respect and hold yourselves to a higher standard and expect more from Nacra. Either license other manufacturers, or have some accountability for the quality of the product.

I will end with this - how many times in the history of the Tornado class did the class association have a split faction form their own "owner's" class association? Because it's already happening in the N17 class right now. Wake up.