I can also tell you that the rigging loads, relative to even a 16' cat (don't know of a 15' cat to compare it to), are tiny on the skiff - it's got a 2:1 mainsheet! (and it's plenty of purchase)

Hi Jake,

Don't get confused between rig tension and main sheet loads. The discusion was relating to why Skiffs use round mast sections under intense loads and prebend a opposed to wing masts.

Also, the 29er and 49ers are not skiffs. We will not go to much into that but if you wish to, do a search on Sailing Anarchy.

The 9ers are a far cry from the true skiffs.....

12 footer
[Linked Image]

OK - I'll concede that the vang strut thingy does take away considerably to the sheet loads...perhaps the 29'er is not the greatest comparison

Now I'm really lost however, 29'er not a skiff? Sailing Anarchy as a factual resource? seriously? The thing is a pie tin just like the others...so the rig is a little smaller but does that mean that a Hobie Wave is not a catamaran? - the 9'ers are still the same configuration, bow sprit, main, jib, spinnaker, centerboard, and so unstable in the water that it won't stay upright even without any sails hoisted...how is it not a skiff? Wikipedia even lists the 29'er as an example, among others, of a sailing skiff.

Jake Kohl