Parker,

I would have to agree whole-heartedly with Howards advice.

You will want be careful about an old boat unless you really know what you are getting into. Your particular description of the vessel tells me that you really don`t know what you are looking at; or perhaps even what you are looking for. Do not misinterpret me in this regard, it is perfectly understandable (and normal) NOT to know such things - we have all "been there".

You will have a much greater chance of success and satisfaction upon entering the sport if you get as much information and experience beforehand. Otherwise, as Howard suggested, you may find yourself bogged down with time and expense repairing/outfitting an old boat and never end up actually sailing.

Another thing worth mentioning is that these types of catamarans are very fast, exciting, and at times, extremely powerful. In that regard, an H16 can scare the BeJesus out of just about anyone; at one time or another. Some people just don`t like this degree of thrill/fear and may find that such a boat is simply "not for them". You certainly wouldn`t be the first person to buy a high-performance catamaran (new or used) only to discover that the thought of sailing it (the second time) is too much to bear. I have taken a few friends sailing on mine. One friend absolutely loves it, and two others will not go sailing on it again. My sailing skills notwithstanding, it is definitely a "whole-lotta-boat" when the wind picks up.

I too sail mostly on smaller inland lakes. However, it would be a mistake to assume this is somehow easier/better when learning to sail. I much, much prefer the bigger bodies of water. The reasons for this are two-fold. First, I have found that the smaller the lake, the tougher the sailing is insofar that wind turbulence and excessive tacking are concerned. These Cats can cross a small inland lake in no time at all; requiring constant tacking. And, the turbulence due to nearby trees and hills can be tough to deal with and not much fun either. Second, is the issue of "sea-room" and this is a biggie - especially when sailing solo. The only real "trouble" I have gotten into involved having to right a capsized boat (and you will capsize lots) without enough sea room to either get the job done at all, or having to do it so quickly as to exhaust myself and make the prospect of another capsize (without sea room) hazardous. This is especially true if the shoreline is rocky and the wind is really blowing. When capsized, these boats drift surprizingly fast towards the sailors biggest hazard - the lee shore.

Having said all that, let me tell you that the H16 was/is my first sailboat - although I did have some prior sailing experience and a good deal of boating knowledge. My boat was also an oldie (1977) that I repaired, restored and outfitted "To the Nines"... It can be done and it can be satisfying. I really do love the boat and MOST of the thrills it continually provides - bruises and all. However, it was not cheap, or easy, to take an old boat and learn to sail without a teacher. I used books, videos and this website - A LOT.

I would do it exactly the same all over again. My only regret is that I don`t get to sail nearly as much as I`d like to... Sailing every day would be nice.

Best of luck,

Dave