Ummmmm...yeah...and we want to put kids on those - why exactly?

Well, because on all those video's the craft sustained no damage what so ever (and they're are not rotomolded rubber). And I can vouch for that too as I've done a few of those myself.

Secondly it looks alot worse then it really is. These craft don't pitchpole, don't tilt during the moose evation test or whatever. They only capsize sideways during a gusts if you don't sheet out and steer leeward. But then as you can see the capsizing itself is rather mild.

http://superdairyboy.com/recreational%20Items/blokart/videos/blokart_crash.mpeg

That movie clip of the Dutch Roll is actually a manouvre that I had never seen done before and in my experience is incredibally difficult to initiate. I would have said impossible but the video proofs otherwise. The reason for this, and I've been doing this for a couple of years, is that the craft so easily just makes a 360 without tipping over. It is like a go-kart in the way that it just skids around instead of heeling.

See http://www.blokartfrance.com/images/gallery/videos/mpegs/blokart_360spin.mpg

The guy in the Dutch roll is doing his very best to make the craft roll over like that. I wouldn't even know how to do that and that is the honest truth. I did had a fair amount of spin outs though. Very exiting to do a spin-out but also absolutely harmless.

Now I wouldn't put kids in class 5 or class 3 landyachts as with those craft you can just drive yourself to death. But then again these go 100-130 kph (60-80 mph) and accellerate to that speed within 5 to 6 seconds. But these blokarts are alot slower and the driver is well protected behind the frame. Especially if you are riding these craft in urban areas where you don't really get 30 knots of wind that you need to go faster then 60 kph (35 mph).

Hell, I've seen kids make larger and more mean crashes riding bicycles or riding skateboards. As a concept I would qualify especially the latter as more dangerous.

So yes, it looks exiting and it is exciting but it is far less dangerous (when sailing blokarts) then it may appear. As such it may just be what is needed for kids. It looks cool and dangerous but it really isn't so.

But as I said it is just a wild idea.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands