Catsailor.com

Alter Cup

Posted By: pgp

Alter Cup - 10/13/09 11:20 AM

It's getting close, anyone care to pick a winner?

http://www.regattanetwork.com/clubm...?regatta_id=2350&custom_report_id=37
Posted By: Brett Goodall

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 03:09 PM

Viper!!!

It looks set to be a great event... would love to be there but I'll have to wait for the global challenge to get my little bit of of the us action!!!

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 03:11 PM

I was thinking which team. smile Humprhies and Amador are F16 sailors and right at optimum weight. I think they have a shot.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 03:39 PM

What is optimum weight?
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 03:41 PM

I'm pretty sure that Nigel and Emilee are optimum weight laugh (aka - single handed) Plus it would be awesome for a father/daughter team to win it all smile
Posted By: Matt M

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by John Williams
What is optimum weight?

The weight of the winning team, of course. wink
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 03:46 PM

I'd have to give the 2007 AC Champion Casey/Williams and the current champion Mr. Pitt the nod as the obvious picks. Nigel and Emilee were quite quick at the GYA regatta.

Of course Easton/Burd get stronger every season and had a very high finish at last years AC. Mr. Tomko is in the mix but has been a bit off his game lately. Mr. Spina and Mr. Livingston are going to be crazy fast. The top 5 is going to be burtal, as it should be.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 04:02 PM

What is optimum weight?

Just a guess, 320.
Posted By: TeamChums

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 05:24 PM

Casey/Williams. I called my bookie and put a bundle on em.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 05:28 PM

Williams as in Jdub? that should be cool
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 05:39 PM

My money is on Mike & Tripp... I think weight will play a very small role in the results except that some of the super light teams will mix it up in super light air.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 05:46 PM

NOAA forecast for the practice race:
Saturday
Northwest winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 05:53 PM

Saturday
Northwest winds 15 to 20 knots. Seas 4 to 6 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning.

That is a long freaking way out. Yes we are supposed to get a cold front and hopefully it will punch through and give us our dream breeze, but...

At 15-20 the gulf get's sporty.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by David Ingram
Saturday

That is a long freaking way out. Yes we are supposed to get a cold front and hopefully it will punch through and give us our dream breeze, but...

At 15-20 the gulf get's sporty.

The spinnaker runs will be interesting.
Posted By: Jake

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 06:15 PM

Wheeee...us big boys (who'da thought I would ever say that at 175lbs and 175lbs?) gonna need the breeze.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/13/09 11:59 PM

What is optimum weight?

You can be competitive between 120kg - 150kg, depending on conditions. Ideal is about 135 - 140. I've sailed at 155kg at beaten the F18 fleet. (I don't know what that is in lbs sorry I don't have a weight converter on hand)

Given the predicted conditions I'd say the heavier crews will do better... the VIPER volume allows them to continue pushing in heavier conditions.

Looking froward to hearing from the guys on the ground there.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/14/09 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by AUS-CAT
What is optimum weight?

You can be competitive between 120kg - 150kg, depending on conditions.

Obviously you have to tune the boat accordingly

Re: Alter Cup - 10/14/09 12:31 AM

I was fishing a bit, there. I have an opinion. Tuning, BTW, is not allowed for this event. The beach crew (which includes Greg) will set up all the boats the same and cut the fleet loose. There was oodles and oodles of discussion on this topic last time an F16 was featured in the Cup. I actually enjoyed going back and reading those threads again. I expect the beach captain will set the boats up for middle-weight teams for the expected conditions. That almost always has translated to a fairly powered-up rig, no matter what the platform.

Weather predictions? I see a double-whammy front coming, but we'll see...

Going to be a fun week.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/14/09 12:40 AM

I figured there wouldn't be any boat fiddling allowed.... I guess you better hope you "middle" weight. It's the only real 'even' solution.

John... are we going to see you at the GC??

Re: Alter Cup - 10/14/09 12:46 AM

I wish. Instead I will be the friendly PRO on Charlie Course at the Havamega event. I committed to the Hobie Class before the GC was set in stone. I get the large and unruly Hobie 16 fleet... who are all currently OCS!! Arrr!

Re: Alter Cup - 10/14/09 02:44 PM

You can be competitive between 120kg - 150kg, depending on conditions. Ideal is about 135 - 140. I've sailed at 155kg at beaten the F18 fleet. (I don't know what that is in lbs sorry I don't have a weight converter on hand)

Given the predicted conditions I'd say the heavier crews will do better... the VIPER volume allows them to continue pushing in heavier conditions.

Looking froward to hearing from the guys on the ground there.

For those following along at home:
120kg - 150kg => 264lbs - 330lbs
135kg - 140kg => 297lbs - 308lbs
155kg => 342lbs

And Greg, you're a bit of a mutant (yes it's a compliment) and saying you beat the F18 fleet while sailing heavy on the Viper doesn't say all that much when we'd expect you to finish on top regardless, mutants tend to do that. Unless of course you were sailing in a fleet of mutants.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/14/09 09:58 PM

For those following along at home:
120kg - 150kg => 264lbs - 330lbs
135kg - 140kg => 297lbs - 308lbs
155kg => 342lbs

And Greg, you're a bit of a mutant (yes it's a compliment) and saying you beat the F18 fleet while sailing heavy on the Viper doesn't say all that much when we'd expect you to finish on top regardless, mutants tend to do that. Unless of course you were sailing in a fleet of mutants.

Thanks for converting... I was just being a little slack.

Interesting complement... I'll have to let Greg know that one...

My name's Brett... I work at ahpc.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/14/09 10:17 PM

Any comment on the 2-up configuration of the AC?

I'd be interested to see what top line talent can do with the Uni configuration.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/14/09 10:25 PM

"My name's Brett..."

So humble. grin

Re: Alter Cup - 10/14/09 10:28 PM

My name's Brett Goodall... I'm damn good on an F16 in my own right, and just like on the F18, I do all the real work at ahpc.

There - I fixed that for you. grin

Re: Alter Cup - 10/14/09 10:34 PM

NOAA forecast for first day of racing:
Saturday Night And Sunday
North winds around 20 knots. Seas 5 to 7 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/14/09 10:39 PM

My name's Brett Goodall... I'm damn good on an F16 in my own right, and just like on the F18, I do all the real work at ahpc.

There - I fixed that for you. grin

Ha ha... thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Alter Cup - 10/15/09 12:24 PM

Hope you guys have a great time in clearwater... i hope to stop by and watch some racing from the water on sat.

In case you dont know, there is a free jazz concert in downtown clearwater fri sat and sun, fireworks on sat night at 1030, etc.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/15/09 01:54 PM

Saturday
North winds around 15 knots. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop. Slight chance of thunderstorms in the morning.

Saturday Night
North winds around 15 knots. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop.

Sunday
North winds around 15 knots. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop.

It's already getting soft, and Mr. Williams I blame you!

Re: Alter Cup - 10/15/09 02:09 PM

Greg got in last night and is assembling boats today with Robbie...

I'll keep in contact with home and try to bring you "manufacturers" reports.

For the record, my money is on Mr Casey.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/15/09 04:59 PM

if its gonna be moderate to heavy - I'm putting my money on Casey/Williams :P

(Although they'll prolly win even if its light)
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Alter Cup - 10/15/09 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Undecided
if its gonna be moderate to heavy - I'm putting my money on Casey/Williams :P

(Although they'll prolly win even if its light)

I'd agree ,but the New England Gangstas should give 'em a run for their money,as long as they can get their pink shirts pressed in time.
Posted By: acceleratedchaos

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 12:42 AM

My biased vote goes to Easton/Burd

New England Gangstas Theme Song
Posted By: SurfCityRacing

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever

I'd agree ,but the New England Gangstas should give 'em a run for their money,as long as they can get their pink shirts pressed in time.

These guys?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 01:47 AM

Yup!
Posted By: Chris9

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 03:26 AM

BTW, my 7 yr old favorite word "YuuuuuP"

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 12:38 PM

My favorite word is "BREEZE!"

Saturday
Northwest winds around 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop.

Saturday Night
North winds around 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy.

Sunday
North winds around 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters choppy. Scattered sprinkles.

Sunday Night
Northeast winds around 15 knots. Seas 3 to 5 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop.

Monday
Northeast winds around 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop.

Monday Night
Northeast winds around 15 knots. Seas 2 to 4 feet. Bay and inland waters a moderate chop.

Tuesday

Okay JW, you chased away the 20 but 4 days of 15 will do nicely... thank you.
Posted By: Matt M

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 12:55 PM

My favorite word is "BREEZE!"

Ding,

You do realize you just F'd it up. Do not taunt the weather gods. grin

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 01:15 PM

Hey, I've been a good boy, I haven't kicked anyone in the nuts for what 10 days now? I should have something in the karma bank don't you think?

Oh wait, there was that email I sent to Karl... damnit, I'm screwed.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 01:24 PM

You could be pushing area D south, to put the area c schmucks in their place!

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

Pete, when have I ever NOT pimped Area D South. I'll let Area C have their run at it, and then varsity will take the field. Timing is everything.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 01:43 PM

I'll let Area C have their run at it, and then varsity will take the field. Timing is everything.

[Linked Image]

Popcorn... git'cher popcorn here!

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

Pete, when have I ever NOT pimped Area D South. I'll let Area C have their run at it, and then varsity will take the field. Timing is everything.

Kick #2 there goes your karma and breeze.
Posted By: tback

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 01:50 PM

Hey, I've been a good boy, I haven't kicked anyone in the nuts for what 10 days now? I should have something in the karma bank don't you think?

Ding, having withdrawals ... need someone to pick on? I'll help. Your maama wears combat boots.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 01:51 PM

A small wager on largest turnout?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
A small wager on largest turnout?

As long as it involves rum I'm in.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by tback

Ding, having withdrawals ... need someone to pick on? I'll help. Your maama wears combat boots.

My momma does wear army boots, but you need to tell your momma to quit calling me.
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 02:05 PM

Ohhh Snap! Nice one Ding.

Hey, it's blowing out there right now, better than I've seen in months! I might even get off my lazy butt and get out there later on if it holds up.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 02:16 PM

and so begs the eternal question: light rum vs. dark rum...

although personally I've developed an affection for a whiskey with my cola over rum. Maybe the soda masks too much of the rum flavor?

but nothing cleans my sinus and treats me better than good ole' vodka and tonic. Make it strong enough, and you've got hand sanitizer too!

feeling chocoholic today? white russian with a splash of cola, and you've got an adult version of the yoo-hoo beverage.

It's friday and happy hour starts in a few hours. can you tell?
Posted By: Timbo

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 02:46 PM

I think you started already!

And I thought I was -impaired- !

Hey, it's 5 O'clock somewhere...

;^)
Posted By: tback

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 02:53 PM

My momma does wear army boots, but you need to tell your momma to quit calling me.

ROFLMAO ... Ding I got nothin' .... I'm just chuckling with no ligitimate come back!

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 03:12 PM

ROFLMAO ... Ding I got nothin' .... I'm just chuckling with no ligitimate come back!

Still, we can't miss out on this opportunity to start a regional rivalry with the "up nawth" boys.

How 'bout this, if area c has more boats than area d south, Ding will shave his head? I'll donate a bottle of rum toward the festivities.
Posted By: hobiephil

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 03:17 PM

I believe in this situation, an illegitimate response would be appropriate.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
Still, we can't miss out on this opportunity to start a regional rivalry with the "up nawth" boys.

How 'bout this, if area c has more boats than area d south, Ding will shave his head? I'll donate a bottle of rum toward the festivities.

I'm down for that, there aint much left and what is left is going gray fast. With the comedians we hang with I think a better motivation would be that I'll shave my head if our numbers are bigger than Area C's.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 04:03 PM

laugh I guess we have to wait for the "nawtheners" to pledge something of equal value.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

although personally I've developed an affection for a whiskey with my cola over rum. Maybe the soda masks too much of the rum flavor?

but nothing cleans my sinus and treats me better than good ole' vodka and tonic. Make it strong enough, and you've got hand sanitizer too!

feeling chocoholic today? white russian with a splash of cola, and you've got an adult version of the yoo-hoo beverage.

\

no self respecting pirate would use "cola" ....

PS my ONLY drink is Capt. on the rocks... (arggggggg)

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 04:06 PM

No, no, no. If you're gonna talk **** on a racing thread you gotta put up! I have a near lock on dfl and I'm willing to share with you.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by andrewscott

\

The Captain Morgan on the label isn't a pirate he was in the village people,which stands to reason since spiced rum is GAY!

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 04:46 PM

Todd are you coming to the D-N qual?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 05:47 PM

Hadn't planned on it.
I was going to do the C but it didn't work out.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 06:11 PM

I guess you can't collect that bottle o rum I owe you then :P

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 06:27 PM

Hadn't planned on it.
I was going to do the C but it didn't work out.

If you're scared just say you're scared.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 06:47 PM

all the hype about the new N20. Is it still smod legal for the current n20 fleet?
Posted By: mini

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

I'm down for that, there aint much left and what is left is going gray fast. With the comedians we hang with I think a better motivation would be that I'll shave my head if our numbers are bigger than Area C's.

Dave and Pete - Are you guys daft? What's this numbers bet, if so I want in for some rum too none of this gay shaving of the head crap. The guest list is done and published with only 1 team from C, 2 from A and 12 from D

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 06:56 PM

I think we're talking about the eliminations for '10. . .maybe. There's always rum. We're just looking for an excuse.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 06:57 PM

why not wager based on turnout like this:

For each boat registered, Division earns 1 point (equal to 1/5 of designated liquor).

Division with most # of points wins.

Losing division sends winning division amount of liquor equal to NET LOSS (winning total - losing total = net loss) to be equally distributed at winning division's next function

what say ye?

(Even pirates can be democratic...arrrg)

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 06:59 PM

maybe add more insult to losing division by making losing division DELIVER said spoils to winning division at their next function?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 07:03 PM

why not wager based on turnout like this:

For each boat registered, Division earns 1 point (equal to 1/5 of designated liquor).

Division with most # of points wins.

Losing division sends winning division amount of liquor equal to NET LOSS (winning total - losing total = net loss) to be equally distributed at winning division's next function

what say ye?

(Even pirates can be democratic...arrrg)

Oh for the love all things sailing related BUY A FREAKING BOAT ALREADY!!!!

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 07:05 PM

hey, if all ya'll would stop downsizing your staff, I'd have enough insurance sold to buy one of your dinky little F18 and actually suffer around a course or to.

Still would probably buy a 20 so I wouldn't have to find some anorexic crew (they tend to be fag magnets anyhow).

Each day is that much closer to team tons-o-fun's triumphant return...

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 07:42 PM

I guess you can't collect that bottle o rum I owe you then :P

The rate we're going it'll be "Extra Old" when I get it. grin

Ding,
I'm too dumb to be Skeered, I'll let ya know if it ever happens though.

Jay,
There is no new N-20, just a new WIDE,powered up boat possibly based off of the N-20.
Posted By: Tom Korz

Re: Alter Cup - 10/16/09 11:50 PM

\

The Captain Morgan on the label isn't a pirate he was in the village people,which stands to reason since spiced rum is GAY!

+1 Todd

You still owe me a case of PBR!!!! Dude

Anyhow this Alter Cup looks more like the Florida Invitational.

Good Luck to all...I'll be watchin, wish I was there.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/17/09 03:15 AM

Tom,
We need to get together sometime so I can settle up.Dems was da good ol days.You need to get to Steeplechase or Spring Fever or something.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/17/09 08:36 PM

Tom,
We need to get together sometime so I can settle up.Dems was da good ol days.You need to get to Steeplechase or Spring Fever or something.

How about the Steeple tough guy, promise I won't yell at you this time... well maybe :-)

We are on the beach at Alter, and probably looking at a postponement for tomorrow, but after that it's on! Now if I can only adjust to the space issues, damn those boats are small :-)

Re: Alter Cup - 10/17/09 08:53 PM

How about the Newberry team? Any word on how the ladies are feeling? Lot of wind for what I imagine is a light team.
Posted By: wildtsail

Re: Alter Cup - 10/17/09 09:35 PM

I'm sure Sarah can handle it.... she's awesome!

Re: Alter Cup - 10/17/09 09:38 PM

Good deal! I think the F16 would make a great ladies boat, considering they are usually lighter.

Do you know if she has a blog?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/17/09 10:10 PM

Tom,

How about the Steeple tough guy, promise I won't yell at you this time... well maybe :-)

We are on the beach at Alter, and probably looking at a postponement for tomorrow, but after that it's on! Now if I can only adjust to the space issues, damn those boats are small :-)

Hey Ding,
I'll see ya at Steeplechase. You can yell if it makes ya feel tough.Keep in mind sometimes I have anger issues. mad laugh
Good luck.
Tawd

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 01:19 AM

Okay Steeple it is!

Still a bit breezy here. We had a nice kick off. Everyone needs to be on the beach at 9AM for the fleet draw, so gramps is back for some sleepy time, just can't keep up with the kids.

Great crowd, some very lively dicussions about everything sailing related, Pete you would have enjoyed it, okay it was F18 centric but still...

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 01:30 PM

Anyone gonna be OTW reporting for this one? smile

Todd and Ding on the same boat?

Dear Lord Almighty I hope I don't get brought up in conversation. My feelings will get hurt all the way in Georgia :P

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 03:22 PM

How did the draw go? Is there a pregame strategy (or superstition)?
Posted By: P.M.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 03:57 PM

Racing postponed until 1:00 pm due to high winds. Practice races canceled yesterday due to high winds. MOre as I can provide. . .

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 03:59 PM

I can provide OTW reporting by cell call if someone wants to hook up with me. . . Tad?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 04:16 PM

Anyone gonna be OTW reporting for this one? smile

Todd and Ding on the same boat?

Dear Lord Almighty I hope I don't get brought up in conversation. My feelings will get hurt all the way in Georgia :P

Noooo ,not the SAME boat but the harassment won't suffer for that, trust me.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 04:35 PM

I can provide OTW reporting by cell call if someone wants to hook up with me. . . Tad?

I can do it during the week.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 05:12 PM

Good,
Today is a crapshot, still under postponement, and the wind just blew my vhf off the table, if that tells you anything.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 05:18 PM

were done for today
Posted By: Jake

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

Tom and I got boat 0 in heat A...is that good?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 06:55 PM

Dunno? Heat B gets to watch?
Posted By: PTP

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 07:03 PM

how much wind?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 07:08 PM

The mobile device enabled folks where reporting 27 average 32 peak at the peer.

http://www.windfinder.com/report/clearwater_beach
Posted By: PTP

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 07:10 PM

wish we had something a little closer to that last week for Nationals.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/18/09 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

The draw went well, the top tallent is pretty evenly dispursed between the two fleets. B fleet sails first so Kathy and I have to get up early to rig the boat and sail it around to the gulf. There are pro's and con's to going first and second. Going first you get to sail the boat around a bit so you get a little extra time to find out where you are with the boat. But, going first you are basically doing the shake down cruise for the next fleet (A).

I'm sure there is some superstition but nobody is talking about it. The forecast looks perfect for the rest of the week. It's going to be tough waiting for the go signal from the beach captian tomorrow.

Now we're off to another party...

Re: Alter Cup - 10/19/09 01:02 PM

55 degrees, wind 15+ mph. Any live reports?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/19/09 01:05 PM

I didn't know alcohol had a sexual preference.

Are you homophobic?, or 4 years old? or just looking to start and have an argument?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/19/09 01:41 PM

I didn't know alcohol had a sexual preference.

Are you homophobic?, or 4 years old? or just looking to start and have an argument?

I just drink REAL rum. Touchy are we?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/19/09 01:43 PM

haha... yes its monday morning.. and i didnt sail this weekend... !!!

Re: Alter Cup - 10/19/09 01:46 PM

I'm waiting on a call from P Mumm to start the reporting.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/19/09 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
55 degrees, wind 15+ mph. Any live reports?

This should be good. Kinda chilly , Jamie must be hypothermic. At that wind the heavier teams should have a chance, shouldn't they?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/19/09 01:58 PM

You'd think heavier is better today. But, some of the hot 18 sailors may find they R-E-A-L-L-Y miss that extra two feet out front. Don't the ladies usually sail H16? If so that may actually be an advantage. Backing off just a little to avoid a pitchpole may be good advice.

In the end, I DUNNO! But I'm really excited!

Re: Alter Cup - 10/19/09 02:11 PM

JC said the best way to sail the F16's in the bigger air downwind is to sail deep and not to push it.

It won him the championship last time.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/19/09 02:18 PM

Yeh, but when the competitive juices get flowin'. . .

For some reason the gulf is very lumpy at Clearwater. grinMy first time there I remember a "low earth ordit" pitchpole and Ding giving me a ration about it (not too bad though)!

"Taylor Palmer flipped on the way out to the course. They're collecting themselves." Anybody know what they usually sail?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/20/09 05:30 AM

Greg just e-mailed me this update... for someone that can talk under cement with a mouth full of marbles he's not one for writing long reports.

"It has been cool and windy.
No sailing on the practise day or the 1st day due to strong winds and 7ft waves (2.2m)

Today was really good conditions 12 knots at the start and then fading to 5 knots by 1pm. A new breeze then blew in 12 – 15knots.
Seas were just a small chop.
Overall leader at this stage in John Casey and John Williams.
They are going very quick.
Boats are doing very well with almost no problems and anything that needs adjusting is minor.
Everyone is surprised by the performance and how hard the boat can be pushed down wind.
We should have some more feedback and photos over the next few days.
Hopefulley there will be a report and results on a website for the event."
Posted By: Wouter

Re: Alter Cup - 10/20/09 11:34 AM

JC said the best way to sail the F16's in the bigger air downwind is to sail deep and not to push it.

That is indeed the case for the Taipans and earlier Blade models. However, there has been evolution in the F16 hulls since then and the newer designs like the Aussie Blade, the Viper and the Falcon all have improved in this respect.

The F16's are still not I-20's and never will be (neither are the F18's for that matter) but the F16 designs are honing in on the right balance.

Wouter

Re: Alter Cup - 10/20/09 01:08 PM

FYI, JC tells me last night that the waves weren't even close to the reported 4 to 5 feet... 2 to 3 more like.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/20/09 01:15 PM

the difference in waves can be tremendous in the pass vs. on the course (i am guessing it is only a mile away from the pass).

the waves and tides in the pass get crazy (fast) and i think the weather station is at the pier (right next to the pass) so this could explain a big difference in reported vs actual ...

Re: Alter Cup - 10/20/09 02:13 PM

Setting up the first course.

"Its gonna be a beautiful day" Philip says. Wind is out of the East he says but he'll get me a better wind reading later. Gold fleet is heading out first today. There was actually one more race run yesterday after the last update I made but we don't have the boat number to skipper name matchup for that so I can't post it.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/20/09 02:24 PM

Does JC still speak English? Does he keep herring in his lunchbox now?

Re: Alter Cup - 10/20/09 02:29 PM

.8 mile course, 065 wind direction, A mark about 4/10ths of a mile from the jetty, right on the channel line apparently.

And yes, JC sounds as good-ole American Apple pie as he always has.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/20/09 02:31 PM

two boats recalled at the start - only one cleared.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/20/09 02:42 PM

Burd/Easton retired from race - headed to beach. Reason unknown.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/20/09 02:43 PM

You were on the other thread yesterday. But thanks for the updates.

Re: Alter Cup - 10/20/09 02:44 PM

shoot.

I'll move back to the other one. Old age and early mornings :P

Thanks

Re: Alter Cup - 10/23/09 07:56 PM

Sometimes the Steeple Chase guys will write up their view of the event. Any chance of the participants contributing their own experiences?
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Alter Cup - 10/23/09 08:40 PM

Exactly, I really need a story we can feature in the magazine. The last two Alters had radio silence following the event and never had an ounce of ink on it. I tried to get something, but NOTHING!
Rick

Re: Alter Cup - 10/23/09 09:55 PM

Rick,

If I was there, I'd be more than happy to write something up. I don't think a good reliable piece of journalism should be written by someone who wasn't even there to be honest. I'm SURE JWill would be willing to type something up smile

I mean, its not like he does anything at home all day anyways :P
Posted By: Dan_Delave

Re: Alter Cup - 10/23/09 11:16 PM

I mean, its not like he does anything at home all day anyways :P

Those sound like fight'n words!
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums