Catsailor.com

Galaxia Catamaran

Posted By: Chantyman51

Galaxia Catamaran - 02/01/04 01:43 AM

Hi,

Here is my first post. Hello to all.

Recently there was a Galaxia catamaran for sale here on Guam. I went to the internet with a Google search to find information on that model and came up with a big fat zero. There is no information on Galaxia cats. What gives? Have any of you heard of that model? Doesn't anyone sail them anymore? How old is the model and when was the company building them?

Thanks,

Brett
Posted By: Mary

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/01/04 02:33 AM

Are you sure Galaxia is the brand and not the name of the boat? When you did your google search, you probably noticed that there is a popular, female animart character named Sailor Galaxia, who was created (it appears) in Japan. Therefore, it seems like a logical boat name over there. On the other hand, it also might be a logical brand name, so maybe it was manufactured somewhere over there.
Posted By: PSAILOR

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/01/04 03:43 AM

Hey I lived on Guam for 2 years, '99-2000. I had a white Hobie 17 (the only H17 on the island other than a busted up one in that junk yard on the main road) with white sails with a red stripe. I kept it at Maraianas yact club on the beach and sold it to a pilot when I left. Have you seen it around? I have wondered it the storms might have got here. My friend had a white H16 right next to it. Sure miss that GREAT diving!!

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/01/04 01:42 PM

Hi Mary,

It's entirely possible but the name is painted with a lot of "art" work and the "X" in the name is actually a five pointed star so I figured that was the brand name.

Brett

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/01/04 01:45 PM

Hi PSailor,

Just today some friends and I treked up through the jungle to the remains of old Fort Santiago on Orote Point. There is a great view of Apra Harbor from up there and I could see a tiny catamaran, possibly a Hobie, way off in the distance. It was a great day for sailing and the cat seemed to be having a great time.

Later that afternoon I saw a white Hobie on a trailer heading down Marine Drive. Who knows, maybe that was your old boat.

Brett

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/01/04 04:33 PM

Well, Sailor Galaxia was the greatest of the star senshi, so it would make sense that there would be a star in her name. The creator of Galaxia and the other Sailors is an artist, of course, so maybe the artist painted that name on the boat. Aren't brand names usually put on with decals, rather than painted on?
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/01/04 05:00 PM

if you could take a picture of it, we could tell you what it is.

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/01/04 07:51 PM

Not necessarily, Maugan. Remember that Cougar Cat that was recently discussed on this forum that has no relationship or resemblance to the Cougar that was built in the U.S.

Cats are built in other parts of the world that we never hear about.

Even in North America there have been lots of brands of cats that nobody has ever heard about. I have a videotape that I made at least 10 years ago walking through the "graveyard" of abandoned catamarans sitting in the storage yard at the Jericho Sailing Center in Vancouver, British Columbia -- grass growing tall around them. They were basically abandoned and the owners weren't paying their dry-storage rent. So by now probably they have all been hauled away to the dump. Too bad. Some rich person should have put them in a museum to show the history of catamaran design and development. But I'm sure I still have that tape somewhere, I hope.

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/02/04 02:28 AM

I'm not sure if the name is a decal or painted on. It may be a decal.

And yes, I did find that a search for just "Galaxia" brought up lots of anime not to mention astronomical instruments as well. No catamarans though.

Brett

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/02/04 02:30 AM

I'll try to get a picture of it. That may help you guys to ID it though, as Mary says it may not. Still, as cat lovers you might like the picture anyway.
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/02/04 05:58 AM

ok, perhaps I should say that it would greatly increase the chance that we could ID it.

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/02/04 06:03 AM

Here's one picture.

Attached picture 28855-Guam Cat A.jpg

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/02/04 07:37 AM

Okay, I think we all thought you were talking about a beach cat. This looks like an old design, but I would say "Galaxia" is definitely the name of the boat. A brand or manufacturer name would not be so prominent and would not be in an area where the owner might normally want to put the boat's name.

If you contact Multihulls Magazine, which specializes in big multihulls, they might recognize the design; but I would guess it is not a production boat. MM's e-mail address is multimag@aol.com -- send them the picture. And let us know what you find out.
Posted By: Dermot

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/02/04 04:26 PM

See: http://www.ays.com/boats/40catamaran.htm
It is a Lock Crowther design.

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/03/04 03:29 AM

Thanks, that's the boat. I had lost the web site when my laptop was stolen. Now I have a name to look up. Thanks again,

Brett
Posted By: SOMA

Re: Galaxia Catamaran - 02/03/04 04:40 AM

Boy! The internet still manages to amaze me!! From Guam to Key Largo and finally from Dublin an answer to a question that couldn't have Ever been answered without the internet,(and, of course, this website) This is a cooler world. and all within a couple of days, and with I'm sure very little effort.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums