Catsailor.com

Catamaran sailing DVD

Posted By: GTillard

Catamaran sailing DVD - 12/31/04 07:26 PM

If you're looking for something like
5 hours of film on a double DVD, including multiangle sequences where you
can choose your view angle to analyze the sailing technique of the best
sailors on A- class, tornado, Formula 18....
with 3D images, interviews of Mitch Booth, Darren Bundock, Glenn Ashby,
Gavin Colby...
there is something available on ebay at this address....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=6354423405&rd=1&ssPageName=WD2V
Posted By: mmadge

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 12/31/04 09:30 PM

Have you had a chance to view it .If so what are your thoughts.Is it applicable to all cat designs or just boat specific,i.e tonado, F-18,A-cat.
Posted By: gordon

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/01/05 04:17 AM

I am interested in the DVD, but just to be cynical, the seller is the same person who made the first post. Anyone else here seen this?

Posted By: Nieuwkerk

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/01/05 08:10 AM

I am interested in the DVD, but just to be cynical, the seller is the same person who made the first post. Anyone else here seen this?

I am also interested and noticed noticed the same. I also noticed that they only have "feedback" from one ebay user. Not a lot of feedback considering the cost.

Does that make me cynical as well?

Bill
Posted By: scooby_simon

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/01/05 12:31 PM

I am also interested and noticed noticed the same. I also noticed that they only have "feedback" from one ebay user. Not a lot of feedback considering the cost.

Does that make me cynical as well?

Bill

No it makes you observant, just like me. Maybe if He ? could put up some examples on HIS web site so we could take a look....
Posted By: Tornado_ALIVE

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/01/05 01:38 PM

Looks like it is advertised on the French A Class web site too..... Looks legit.

http://www.afcca.org/article.php?id_article=79

Also on the A Class forum

http://p078.ezboard.com/faclasscatamaranforumfrm2.showMessage?topicID=86.topic

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/01/05 01:44 PM

Looks like you can also order here from Multihulls World

http://www.multicoques-mag.com/us/bouticnew.php

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/01/05 03:46 PM

Of course, i'm the seller and the announcer and i dont try to mask it. I 've been working on this DVD during three years and i'm quite proud of the job... i had contact with really nice people.., Glenn Asby, M.Booth, D. bundock have been wonderfull. It was really a pleasure to realize this dvd and i hope it will be a pleausure for you to use it. We started to sell it in europe since one week...It's the very beginning, and we do not have yet an international distributor, that's why we had the idea to use e bay...You can download little parts of the dvd here : http://tillard.georges1.free.fr/videos/

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/01/05 03:48 PM

Correct.

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/01/05 03:49 PM

[quote]Looks like you can also order here from Multihulls World

http://www.multicoques-mag.com/us/bouticnew.php
Correct !
Posted By: Dermot

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/01/05 06:58 PM

It seems well done, but the second clip I looked at (Gavin Colby)the commentator talks about raising the dagger-boards at the leeward mark, even though you do see the crew lowering them. Maybe the English version should be checked over
Posted By: Nieuwkerk

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/02/05 03:44 AM

I know expressed some initial doubt...but I took the plunge and bought it one from Ebay.

I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Bill

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/02/05 06:15 AM

I bought a copy to.Also will let you know how it is
Posted By: hobie_acores

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/09/05 12:54 AM

I bought one copy and it arrived today!!
It seams to be a good DVD!I like the multi-angle shoots. For somebody like me that is almost a beginner it is a very good source for improvement. I hope that there are more dvd´s like this.
Later!

Enjoy the Azores winds....
Posted By: Wouter

My opinion on this DVD - 01/10/05 07:06 PM

It is worth every Euro.

A shot load of on the water footage with a professional steady cam.

Nice interviews with a few big names in cat sailing and it lays a good foundation to improve your sailing skills on.

It is the best thing since Rick White's sailing for the 90's if you are a novice or intermediate sailor.

For the good sailors aout there (and that means only 20 % of all sailors) this allow you to steal some tricks of the Ashby's, Booth's, Bundock's, Anderson's, Boulogne's out there. Afo course the further you are already the harder it is to find new stuff that benefits you however this DVD does a good job of that. And of course at a certainly level you can only learn from yourself and having a coach. It shows that as well on the DVD and so gives in my opinion a very good picture of cat sailing from novice to professional sailor.

I have absoutely no regrest I bought the DVD. And for all sailors without good fleets nearby to learn from I think this DVD is a must-have next to Rick's sailing for the 90's. Mind you I have some alternatives views here an there but these points are only personal, particular design related and way beyond what you need to know as a novice and internmediate sailors. Actually the DVD underlines at several instances that methods and sailing modes can and do differ between crews and designs and that you should find what suits you and your design bests. It gives good ways to start and later find you own personal preference.

The DVD focusses on Tornado, F18, A-cat and KL 15.5 sailing. But very much in a general sense. Meaning the KL 15.5 stuff is completely general and can be easily transposed on any other design. So too for much of the other boats although you'll learns as wel from the differences between A's and F18's.

The DVD also put a very large focus on spinnaker sailing which I think is good.

I watched the DVD for 3 hours today and still haven't seen all or accessed all topics.

Comes in a nice package

I'm very impressed !

Wouter

Re: My opinion on this DVD - 01/12/05 02:08 PM

Recieved mine yesterday.Very impressive.Only had a chance to view some of it but it is very well done,nice work.Well worth the money
Posted By: rhodysail

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/12/05 02:29 PM

Can you still get it on e-bay?

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/12/05 04:12 PM

Happy you appreciate !
available on ebay here

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=6356930992&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Posted By: mikemac

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/12/05 06:18 PM

Ordered, how long does shipping take. Great Lakes. Thanks
Posted By: h17racer

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/12/05 08:27 PM

Oh man, this is great! GT, thanks for doing this. Will plan to order shortly. On top of some really cool sailing sequences the soundtrack is top notch!

Rick, why not carry it in the CatSailor Store?

Sail fast, Tom G

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/13/05 02:36 AM

Ok I'm trying to buy this thing and as soon as I hit the commit to buy button everything goes to French. I don't speak very good French but I fill everything out anyway but it will not take my phone number. The best I can tell is the computer thinks I live in France and so the number doesn't make sense. So I try to go through the whole thing all over again but I get a warning telling me that I have already committed to buy one of these DVD’s and that I will be ordering a second one if I hit Commit to buy again. Well I don’t want two of them. So what’s the deal?
Posted By: flumpmaster

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/13/05 02:57 AM

Sign up for a paypal account (don't bother doing the 'verified account' thing) - then when the French paypal mumbo jumbo appears while buying the DVD enter your paypal id (email address) and password on the right hand side of the window. *Whew* - back to english and you can complete your transaction.

Looking forward to seeing the film - I bought my copy today.

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/13/05 03:01 AM

Took mine about a week to get here
(Great Lakes area)
Posted By: thom

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/13/05 04:48 AM

I apparently missed that button...fed that site info three times and was disconnected. ABout an hours later I got a receipt???

thom

Why not use multihullmagazine route ? - 01/13/05 05:03 AM

Why not use multihullmagazine route ?

Somewhere in this thread a link to multihullmag is provided as they run this DVD as well. I did it that way and it came out fine. No signing on to Ebay etc

Wouter

Re: Why not use multihullmagazine route ? - 01/13/05 07:57 AM

Right here guys

http://www.multicoques-mag.com/us/bouticnew.php (Multihull World Magazine)

Re: Why not use multihullmagazine route ? - 01/13/05 10:23 AM

Of course it's possible and even, recommended to use the multihullmagazine route...there is no problem, it's maybe more easy... the only difference is that when you buy via Ebay, it's a direct way between consumer and producer...and it's quite a big difference for those who have worked hard on the project...but anyway, there is two solutions and each one can choose.
Georges Tillard.

ebay address - 01/13/05 10:52 PM

Now the valid ebay adress is here :
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=6359015422&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
Posted By: Mike Fahle

Re: ebay address - 01/14/05 01:10 AM

I had the same problem ordering the DVD on E-Bay with the form in French. As suggested earlier, using PayPal solved the problem.

I wanted to comment about how good Georges Tillard was to deal with - he answered my e-mails and offered suggestions on how to solve the ordering problems I had. He even mailed the DVD to me before he received confirmation that I had paid for it so that I did not have to wait so long. He is not only legitimate, he is also very customer focused!

I can confirm what Wouter wrote about the DVD - very well executed and much to see. I have not seen everything after about 3.5 hours of viewing and there appears to be something for everyone at all skill levels. I wanted to learn from Glen Ashby how to sail an A class cat well and I am glad to have invested the money; the other info is bonus from my perspective. It is a pretty cheap lesson considering that you have excellent camera work, editing, and production featuring arguably the best sailor in the class. It looks like a huge effort to have produced this DVD! I think this is a DVD that I could view many, many times.

Thanks Georges for making this available to us and for your great customer service.

Mike Fahle
Toledo
Posted By: Cut_It_Out

Re: ebay address - 01/17/05 02:23 AM

Flumpmaster describes it the exact way to do the purchase. Received mine in 8 days through the ebay route.
As far as the DVD goes, English/French toggle, images sharp and content so far helpful and in some instances inspired.
Posted By: George_Malloch

Excellent service! - 01/17/05 11:37 PM

Ordered this late last Thursday night, received it at 08.00 on Monday. Looks very good.

Re: Excellent service! - 01/18/05 09:02 AM

I had to relist again on EBAY..but now you will always find the good Ebay adress at this place :

http://tillard.georges1.free.fr/videos/

Open the txt file to find the ebay address.
Thank's

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/22/05 08:16 PM

I finaly got a copy and it doesn't play on my DVD player.
It only plays on the computer.
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/22/05 08:39 PM

Sounds like a good excuse for a new DVD player, Bob!

(got mine, too, but haven't tried it yet)

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/22/05 09:46 PM

What region is the DVD ?

See this list

1: U.S., Canada, U.S. Territories
2: Japan, Europe, South Africa, and Middle East (including Egypt)
3: Southeast Asia and East Asia (including Hong Kong)
4: Australia, New Zealand, Pacific Islands, Central America, Mexico, South America, and the Caribbean
5: Eastern Europe (Former Soviet Union), Indian subcontinent, Africa, North Korea, and Mongolia
6: China
7: Reserved
8: Special international venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

And region 0 is free of all restrictions.

Depending on the DVD player, it may have a physical lock indicating which region DVD's it will play.
Or it may have a software lock (Arcam for one are like this )

Do a google for "DVD type"+region+hack and you might find the appropiate software code to add.

I cannot be certian that a hack will exist, or if there are any risks in using these. All I know is that I have hacked my Arcam DV88P to be region Zero and it will play anyhing
Posted By: vicatman

Re: ebay address - 01/23/05 12:51 AM

I cant play it on either one of my DVD players or my PC
Posted By: mbounds

Re: ebay address - 01/23/05 12:55 AM

Mine works fine on the PC, although you could hear the laser tracking back and forth pretty hard at the beginning like it was searching for something.

I like it so far - now I know where to mount a bridle fly on my Tiger!
Posted By: dave mosley

Re: ebay address - 01/23/05 06:13 PM

Ebay account has ended. Would love to purchase this, not real sure I want to purchase thru Multihulls mag. Does it get shipped from France?

David Mosley
Posted By: Jake

Re: ebay address - 01/23/05 07:24 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...=6359709804&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/23/05 11:00 PM

Well I bought a new DVD player $159.oo
I had to try a bunch of players at Circuit City to find one that worked.
In the manual it says that the player will work for Region 1 DVD’s and for DVD’s that do not specify a Region. I think most DVD players in the US only play Region 1 DVD’s.
Since this DVD works on this player I’m guessing that there is no region code specified on the DVD.
The video is great but at a total cost of over 200 bucks it’s hard to recommend it.
After doing all the hard work I’d think they would be able to sell DVD’s in Region Code 1. Hopefully they will figure it out.

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/24/05 12:58 AM

In the manual it says that the player will work for Region 1 DVD’s and for DVD’s that do not specify a Region. I think most DVD players in the US only play Region 1 DVD’s

You will be surprised, try the google search and see what comes up.

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/26/05 03:02 AM

Anyone figure out why this dvd won't work on TV but will in the computer??? My Sony is less than a year old I'm not buying another one...

thom
Posted By: Cut_It_Out

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/26/05 04:20 AM

Works great on my X-Box. No problems. Good video and narration.
Jim M

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/26/05 03:37 PM

DVD region codes are the problem. An earlier poster described what you can encounter. Suggest following his instructions on googling your "player model/hack/codes" to locate one of the sites with info on your player. Some of the manufacturers may also provide a fix DVD.

Below is a site link that may help out.

Sail fast, Tom G

www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/26/05 04:11 PM

DVD region codes are the problem. An earlier poster described what you can encounter. Suggest following his instructions on googling your "player model/hack/codes" to locate one of the sites with info on your player. Some of the manufacturers may also provide a fix DVD.

Below is a site link that may help out.

Sail fast, Tom G

www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks

It was I, about 6 posts back

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/26/05 07:18 PM

Hey Jim-

I thought it was interesting how Booth said "Tornados" are the fastest production beach cat...

thom
ARC22 2234
F25c 009
FMS 20 57
Posted By: vicatman

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/27/05 01:13 AM

I bought a cheapie DVD player from K-Mart....plays fine...
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/27/05 09:21 PM

Love the DVD - thanks. Was really surprised to get some new-to-me rigging tips on the Mystere 4.3 (called the Tyka in Europe).

Well worth the dough!
Posted By: dunebug

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/29/05 11:18 PM

I saw this listing on ebay when it first came out, as a beginer I was spooked buy no sailes so thanks for your reviews I just ordered mein today.

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/30/05 05:31 PM

Ok I've been looking for away to get a couple of young people involved in catsailing. Today I showed the dvd [on my computer still can't make it work on the TV] in total. All I heard was WHEN DO I GET TO GO??? Thanks for making this simple enough for a newbie to follow. Also my goddaughter is quoting Booths comment about strength being 10%...Great job!!!

thom

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - 01/31/05 09:13 AM

Just got mine

Well worth the money.

Shame there wasn't more Tornado footage........ Or stronger breeze. Probably should have shot some footage in OZ for better wind

What ? - 01/31/05 04:30 PM

There is 30 minutes of high quality Tornado footage on the DVD !

How much more do you want ?

Wouter
Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: What ? - 01/31/05 04:56 PM

4 hours and 30 minutes more of course. Tornado sailing is like AIDS you know..

Re: What ? - 02/01/05 08:37 AM

4 hours and 30 minutes more of course. Tornado sailing is like AIDS you know..

AIDS ..... Alchole induced dissy spells
Posted By: Ken_H

Has anyone played the DVD on a Playstation 2? - 03/18/05 08:43 PM

Has anyone played the DVD on a Playstation 2?

I can't get it to play...

Posted By: Rolf_Nilsen

Re: Has anyone played the DVD on a Playstation 2? - 03/18/05 09:08 PM

Yes, it worked fine on my Playstation 2.
Posted By: Cookie Monster

Re: Has anyone played the DVD on a Playstation 2? - 03/19/05 01:29 AM

My good, expensive Sony DVD player wouldn't play it, but my $29.95 off brand player I keep in my office does just great.

What DVD Players (Brand & Model) Do You Have (US)? - 03/19/05 02:20 AM

What DVD Players (Brand & Model) Do You Have (US)?

My Playstation 2 & DVD player are only Region 1 - what models/brands do you guys have that allow playback in the US?

Please advise!

Thanks

Re: What DVD Players (Brand & Model) Do You Have (US)? - 03/19/05 05:49 AM

My JVC player (approximately 5 years old) plays it just fine. As does my computer at work and at home. It's a superb DVD.

Re: What DVD Players (Brand & Model) Do You Have (US)? - 03/19/05 09:46 PM

Ordered the DVD and I agree, it is great!!

Encountered the same region play problems though. Here is what my research found:

1. USA produced/destined DVD players are mostly restricted to play region 1 coded DVD's only. Some existing inventory stock may still play without restrictions but the newer units are moving towards coding by region. Thank the movie industry for this one.

2. Windows PC based DVD players will allow up to 5 region code play changes and then will lock onto the last DVD code played (thanks to Bill Gates for this one).

I have 3 newer DVD players and one PC based unit. None of the DVD players will work (all are region 1 only). The PC unit does but I need to use due care so I don't lock it out of region 1 DVD's.

Some DVD player models remain "soft encoded" so you are able to use hack codes to over-ride the lockout. Newer units are hard wired so you cannot over-ride. I did confirm with Panasonic, Pioneer, Best Buy and one of the local factory authorized repair shops.

If you are buying you may be able to snatch up a region 0 (all regions) player. They are also offered on the Internet with the region encoding over-ridden.

I have communicated with the producer and they are working on a region 1 release. I have been advised one will be available in about 30-60 days.

Hope this helps.

Sail fast, Tom G

Re: What DVD Players (Brand & Model) Do You Have (US)? - 03/19/05 10:07 PM

I little searching around should find you a software hack for most DVD's, if not, you might need a small hardware update.

My Arcam (top British make) DVD is software encoded and so I've just set it up to play all regions

A quick google will usually find the hack codes.

DVD Player Problem Solved - 03/19/05 11:46 PM

I found a model at Radio Shack (an Aspire).

This model was listed on the videohelp - hack site!

The hack code worked and the player was a great buy @ $39.00! I had to adjust the NTSC TV mode and enter in the hack sequence...

IT WORKS!
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - what's that word? - 03/27/05 08:43 PM

Got mine yesterday via Multihulls World - very cool. Plays fine on my Dell laptop.

But I have a question...There is a segment in the section on Sailing Upwind (Advanced Technique - Beating), where Emmanuel Boulogne (or at least the English voice-over) uses a word that I just don't recognize.

For example, starting from about 7:50 :

"The less wind there is the more speed you need because ____ing when there is no wind is very, very bad".

To my ear, the word sounds like "capping", and it is used repeatedly over the next minute or so.

Maybe it's the accent that's tripping me up, or maybe it's just a term I haven't run into before. Can someone tell me what this is?

Mark.
Posted By: hobiegary

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - what's that word? - 03/27/05 11:55 PM

"The less wind there is the more speed you need because ____ing when there is no wind is very, very bad".

I can guess at what it 'should' say. "Pinching" or "Feathering" when there is no wind is very, very bad. Other possible words to fill in the blank:
crapp
flapp
napp
clapp
pitch pol
stall
gass
suck
blow
eat
drink
stall
float
bobb
paddl
breath
inflat
stopp
luff
eat
dismast
starv
drink
fish
barf

GARY

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - what's that word? - 03/28/05 12:41 AM

Yeah - I am pretty sure he is saying "capping". I too have been wondering exactly what they mean by this. I kind of think that he means "jumping" the wave...but then that definition sort of falls through with some of their use of the term.
Posted By: Jalani

Re: Catamaran sailing DVD - what's that word? - 03/28/05 08:45 AM

The word used is 'capping' and I've heard the French use the word before. It means pinching as in pointing too high.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums