Catsailor.com

Hobie 16 NAs underway

Posted By: mmiller

Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/22/05 02:57 PM

Jake,

We had 14 boxed boats in a semi, another 22 framed that we carried on trailers. 9 of them stacked in another semi. Took us about 3-4 days to finish up and get ready for the racing.

The weather has been near perfect. Cool and grey for the rigging and clear on the first day of the event. The wind kicked in strong yesterday and the surf has reduced. Perfect!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Event Photos
Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/22/05 04:43 PM

Matt
Is this a first time for this H16 color combination? I think its the best combination I have seen... Its really stunning.

Congrats.
Mark

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/23/05 02:51 PM

This is the "Misty" Main sail with optional (3) jib colors. One of two sail colors for 2005.

Thanks!
Posted By: Jeff Peterson

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/23/05 08:52 PM

Why the low sail numbers???

Don't those numbers 'belong' to someone somewhere ?

I thought Hobie sail numbers are supposed to be unique to the model they are issued to by the factory. (Apparently not!)

My number is MY NUMBER !
Posted By: CatRon

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/24/05 06:47 AM

Sorry, couldn't help it. When you wrote "my numbe is my number" I couldn't help but hear MC Hammer's "....can't touch this...." playing in the background somewhere ........"Hobie time.....my number.....can't touch this"..... sorry, it's late
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/25/05 12:25 PM

This site's welcome page has a headline and link to the full story. Annie Nelson and Kathy Kulkoski won the Women's NAs
Rick
Posted By: deq204

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/25/05 01:29 PM

Don't those numbers 'belong' to someone somewhere ?

Interesting Question - If so - they were most likely origional 14 sail #'s, and very old at that, so there should not be a conflict when regatta-ing.

Typically, if there is a conflict however, the person with the origional # gets to keep it and the other person would duck tape a large 1 or X or something at the beginning or end of the sail #.

Had to work (Damm!) and not in CA.
Go 204 teams in CA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rico

Posted By: Mark Schneider

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/25/05 04:20 PM

Sadly the 16 nationals lost 2 days of the qualifier to no wind and/or large surf.

What have they done in the past when using factory boats) so that they can move on and start their championship series?

Nothing posted on the web site with how they manage this circumstance.

Good Luck Jim G and Kelly

Mark

Posted By: Mary

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/25/05 04:26 PM

Why the low sail numbers???

I think that when the factory supplies the boats for a major event, they put numbers on the sails based upon the number of boats supplied, to make it easier for the race committee for scoring.

I am assuming that after the event is over, they replace those numbers with the actual numbers that belong with those boats.
Posted By: hobiephil

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/25/05 09:28 PM

Sadly the 16 nationals lost 2 days of the qualifier to no wind and/or large surf.

What have they done in the past when using factory boats) so that they can move on and start their championship series?

Nothing posted on the web site with how they manage this circumstance.

All entrants divided into 4 groups, round robin for 20 races.

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/29/05 03:04 PM

The boats will have these numbers forever...

We have always numbered this way for major events with supplied boats. Usually not a problem at local regattas as they get sent all over the North American region.
Posted By: sail7seas

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/29/05 03:21 PM

How is the seal doing? (see attachment)
What it's name?

Attached picture 54335-HobieSEAS.jpg
Posted By: mbounds

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/29/05 04:10 PM

According to the boat owner - "Stinky"

Ever try to wash seal juice off your boat?
Posted By: rhodysail

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/29/05 06:09 PM

Watch the finals live on the web cam

http://web.insidevc.com/webcam/
Posted By: sail7seas

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 07/29/05 11:51 PM

>Ever try to wash seal juice off your boat? <
I always use a tight seal to reduce clean up.
Posted By: mmadge

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/03/05 02:37 AM

Any observations why the Caribean and Mexican teams were so dominant?

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/03/05 12:28 PM

Any observations why the Caribean and Mexican teams were so dominant?

First of all I think we had more competition this year. The Figueroa's (1st , PUR) , Maegli/Guirola (2nd , GUA), Viana/Gomes (4th, BRA), Enqwirda/Elred (9th, AUS) all these teams were not there last year or the year before. Then look at teams like Murrieta/Akle (5th PUR) and Colon/Roldan ( 6th PUR), these teams have done fine in the past but have had consistency problems in the shifty venues of the last two NAs. The wind was fairly straightforward this year. There was a big right shift on the starboard layline and it was there just about every race. This made it easier to be consistent if you were fast and could get good starts.
The Division 13 guys sailed great and it was fantastic to sail against all of them. It was a good clinic for us.
Posted By: pbisesi

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/03/05 01:09 PM

I would add that many of those guys train a lot, have coaches and sail in those conditions year round. As the wind built and the wave size increased they did better and better. When I did get a good start and rounded A in good position I would get passed downwind by the good ocean sailors. Sailing in a real 18-20 knots and 5-6ft waves can be very difficult when you sail on lakes. Great learning experience on rigging and driving. The attachment shows Sarah Bisesi (10)and Scotty Alter(12) racing. Letting thier dad's drive for now.

Attached picture 54707-sarahscotty.jpg

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/03/05 01:29 PM

I'd have to concur with Pat and Bob.

Personally, I was almost never able to get a good start. Fortunately, the thing to do in nearly every race was to tack almost immediately after the start and bang the right hand corner (if you could make it past the pier). Once in clean air, I could keep up with everybody but Enrique. He's just on a different plane than the rest of us.
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/03/05 01:30 PM

Now THAT's a photo that I imagine means an awful lot to both dads, and will mean just as much to both kids in 20 years. Whatever you guys spent on the regatta, time and money, would be worth that single photo, for me.

Geez - I'm all misty

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/03/05 02:16 PM

That picture really demonstrates the beauty of the Hobie 16 class. It's all about keeping it simple. No carbon fiber, no spinnaker, no rotator, no centerboards, and an affordable price tag. All these things allow parents to sail with their young kids, kids to sail with their friends, grandparents to keep sailing, beginners to get started and the list goes on. But the best part is that you don't have to sacrifice top-level competition.
I know that if it wasn't for the Hobie 16 Liza and I wouldn't be sailing catamarans at all. We'd probably be in a Vanguard 15 or something.
-Ok I'll get off the soapbox now -

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/03/05 04:57 PM

I'm still trying to figure out how / why you stand up when tacking in waves, Bob. Holdover from the 470 days?

I usually do the horizonal slide onto the tramp, knock off the trap with my forward hand, then roll over / around to get into position to flip the tiller over and get under the boom.

Then again, you're skinnier than I am.

Liza doing a little jig on the boat?
[Linked Image]

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/03/05 05:38 PM

I want to be sure the hook comes out

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/04/05 02:25 PM

The pictures from Thursday have just been posted

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BrianK

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/04/05 03:38 PM

Cant you just pee in your wetsuit instead of dragging like that?
Posted By: John Williams

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/04/05 03:39 PM

ahhh, the rinse cycle...

or, as they say on SA - "that's not fast..."
Posted By: Brian_Mc

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/04/05 04:02 PM

That's what I call shark bate for those of you that didn't read my story on www.wetasschronicles.com (scroll way way down it may still be there). Matt, the pictures really are wonderful! Thanks!
Posted By: Tom Korz

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/04/05 04:35 PM

Nice form Paul!!!!
Posted By: Jake

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/04/05 05:18 PM

Oh how I hate that feeling.
Posted By: pbisesi

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/04/05 07:51 PM

Enrique

[Linked Image]

Even the best can have a moment.
The Friday pictures are up.

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/05/05 12:50 AM

Who taught Paul Hess how to do a "Wicked Dick"?

Teri got a nice shot of my a$$ going through the surf:
[Linked Image]
Literally.
Posted By: HobieZealot

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/05/05 09:54 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: utahsailor

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/05/05 11:03 PM

That wind must really be nuking...

Re: Hobie 16 NAs underway - 08/08/05 02:58 PM

It really wasn't blowing that hard - maybe 20 at the most. It was the combination of the wind and the 4 - 6 foot waves that made it really challenging to stay on the boat. You had to keep the weather hull up to keep from getting wiped off by a wave.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums