Catsailor.com

Your opinions on popups? (not spam)

Posted By: Jake

Your opinions on popups? (not spam) - 04/21/06 01:19 AM

We've put our video player live on www.teamseacats.com and it pops up in a window just after the load of the main site page. I would like to know what you folks think about the video pop-up player (player provided from Adventure Online). There are some limitations in our site software that left some challenges in keeping the video feed accessible (there will be daily video from the Tybee 500) and this is one of our prefered display methods at the moment.
Posted By: hobie1616

Re: Your opinions on popups? (not spam) - 04/21/06 01:59 AM

Popups are okay as long as they present info that's useable (your videos). Most are objectionable as it's unwanted adverts that eat up desktop space and CPU cycle time.
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Your opinions on popups? (not spam) - 04/21/06 02:45 AM

Jake,

I almost had the code cracked.

WP strips out the line breaks in the code. Without all the comments in the code, then it would work.

I just didn't have the time to hack it.
Posted By: jmhoying

Re: Your opinions on popups? (not spam) - 04/21/06 02:50 AM

I have my browser (Firefox) set to block pop-ups. It does give me a toolbar that tells me that a pop-up was blocked, but if I hadn't read this message first, I would never of clicked to see what the pop-up was.

Jack

BTW: Great video!

Re: Your opinions on popups? (not spam) - 04/21/06 02:58 AM

Jake,

I almost had the code cracked.

WP strips out the line breaks in the code. Without all the comments in the code, then it would work.

I just didn't have the time to hack it.

Tad,

Turn off the "visual rich editor" in your user settings. It will allow the code to remain intact and will then attempt to execute it on page load. However, it remains stuck on the "Loading Video" message for some reason.

I have my browser (Firefox) set to block pop-ups. It does give me a toolbar that tells me that a pop-up was blocked, but if I hadn't read this message first, I would never of clicked to see what the pop-up was.

Hmmm...that's what I was afraid of.
Posted By: MauganN20

Re: Your opinions on popups? (not spam) - 04/21/06 03:17 AM

note that a GOOD popup blocker wont block windows that are legitimately generated from a
Case in point, IE7 doesn't block it, Firecrap does.

Jake, I managed to just modify the code so the rich editor would theoretically make the code work... but WP has problems with it bad. Funny though how the HTML editor still is a "rich text editor".
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Your opinions on popups? (not spam) - 04/21/06 08:24 AM

What you could do instead is make a Flash popup on the page itself containing the videoplayer (or showing a link to the player).

Re: Your opinions on popups? (not spam) - 04/21/06 12:38 PM

What you could do instead is make a Flash popup on the page itself containing the videoplayer (or showing a link to the player).

I don't understand (I'm pretty thick sometimes)
Posted By: Tony_F18

Re: Your opinions on popups? (not spam) - 04/21/06 02:40 PM

I don't understand (I'm pretty thick sometimes)

Hi Jake (I'm not a native speaker so pardon my english) ,
Its like a floating transparent Flash overlay that activates when the page gets loaded (sometimes called Shoshkeles).
See this page for some examples: http://www.unitedvirtualities.com/shoshkeles.htm
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Your opinions on popups? (not spam) - 04/21/06 05:08 PM

Does that work with my beta video player? Or do I have to upgrade to VCR?

Re: Your opinions on popups? (not spam) - 04/21/06 05:28 PM

Does that work with my beta video player? Or do I have to upgrade to VCR?

So what would you call it there smarty pants?
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums