Catsailor.com

Max weight on a H16??

Posted By: clintopher

Max weight on a H16?? - 02/10/08 01:42 PM

I'm looking at getting a beach cat and the H16 is one of the top contenders. The combined weight of my crew and myself is 400lbs. Will the H16 be ok with that? If not, what else should I look into getting? I'd probably be singlehanding half the time.

Clint
Posted By: Vinny_M

Re: Max weight on a H16?? - 02/10/08 03:29 PM

Well, I have sailed my 16 with over 400lbs before. I went out with two other friends and our total weight was probably around 450lb. I can tell you though, the boat will handle much differently as compared to when you will singlehand it. Of course, it will be more sluggish with 400+lbs and less wind, but having two other friends on board in a heavy wind is always fun because you can have more weight on the rails and you can really get moving with that much weight on the trapeze to counter the force of the wind. I would say experiment with it though, you know your boat better than anyone else, and if its an older boat and you feel uncomfortable, then don't do it. If its an older boat, you may also notice that it will sink down quite a bit and this could mean that more water is in your hulls. I have an older boat, and I always end up draining my hulls after I sail with more than two people on it.
Posted By: peter_nelson

Re: Max weight on a H16?? - 02/10/08 07:48 PM

At 400# I would be looking at either an F18 (if you want to go high performance) or the Hobie 18 (which you can pick up cheap).
Posted By: tx246

Re: Max weight on a H16?? - 02/18/08 10:22 PM

He does say that he will be single handing 1/2 of the time. I say get the 16. Believe me when I say the 16 can take a load.

See http://www.catsailor.com/forums/sho...8&an=0&page=2#Post116918

It wont sail as nice in light winds loaded up. But if you are going to spend the majority of your sailing with 1 or two on the boat, the 16 is the ticket.
Posted By: Sunvista

Re: Max weight on a H16?? - 02/20/08 04:58 PM

I'm looking at getting a beach cat and the H16 is one of the top contenders. The combined weight of my crew and myself is 400lbs. Will the H16 be ok with that? If not, what else should I look into getting? I'd probably be singlehanding half the time.

Clint
Clint...check your PMs. Craigslist just posted a local H16 for sale.
Posted By: David_Nolte

Re: Max weight on a H16?? - 07/14/08 02:50 PM

Vinny,

If you're taking on water, just get some silicone caulk and caulk around the pylons and the gudgeons. Water adds alot of weight, throws the boat out of balance, and isn't the best for the hulls.
Posted By: Vinny_M

Re: Max weight on a H16?? - 07/14/08 08:47 PM

I actually did that about a week ago, cause i got sick of draining out all that water. But thanks though! it definitely helped
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums