Catsailor.com

Corroded mast

Posted By: Greg/Debra

Corroded mast - 04/18/14 09:33 AM

Hi all,

I just took off my diamond spreaders so I can replace them with better ones. Underneath I found quite significant pitting of the mast. So I was wondering, what is the best thing to treat the corroded mast with (to hopefully stop further corrosion) before I fit the new spreaders?

Thanks.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Corroded mast - 04/18/14 10:27 AM

Hi Greg,

I just clean the area realy well s/s wire brush sandpaper what ever you have and then paint Duralac disimilar metals jointing compound on it. Or you could use a etch primer, as long as it seals the aloy completly.
Posted By: Beckit 1824

Re: Corroded mast - 04/18/14 09:28 PM

Greg,
There is no such thing as too much duralac. I paint the mast and the base of the fitting separately, allow it to dry, and carefully mount it so as not to destroy the coating.

I also bed my fittings in sikaflex, as it creates a rubber gasket between everything. Beware though as some silicons and sikaflexs have acid in them that create more corrosion. If you stick with bathroom/kitchen types you should be ok and I haven't had any problems.

You may want to consider; depending on the extent of the corrosion, putting a aluminium sleeve or patch over the mast. The spreaders are a high load point on the mast and you tend to develop hair line cracks between corrosion points. Give your mast a bit of a bend and see if any are evident.

For $260 you can get a new section from Phillip Warren Smith via the association. If you mast does fail and you rips your sail it will cost $100 at least to fix plus any diamond wires/fittings you will have to replace. It might be time to treat yourself to a easter mast and keep the old one as a spare.

Luke
Posted By: Darryn

Re: Corroded mast - 04/19/14 07:26 PM

Use a Nylon brush like this http://www.bunnings.com.au/josco-75mm-abrasive-nylon-wheel-brush_p6327571 to remove the corrosion. Stainless steel brushes and most sandpapers scratch the aluminum and can lead to further corrosion.

Darryn
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Corroded mast - 04/19/14 10:48 PM

Hi Darryn,

thanks for that info, never seen those, a good hint.

Re: Corroded mast - 04/22/14 11:17 AM

Many thanks to Gary, Luke and Darryn for their advice. I already have a S/S brush but will look into the nylon one. I will also get will get some Duralac which is available locally.

Hey Luke, last time I was at Speers Point there were no Mossies there. Can anyone tell me how many Mossies are sailing in NSW at the present?
Posted By: mousetrap

Re: Corroded mast - 04/22/14 02:28 PM

Hi Greg
There is Luke and myself at Speers Point and one at lake Jindabyne #1044.
If you are keen we have the Anzac regatta at Speers Point this Friday,one race.Also coming up is the Keepit Kool regatta (near Tamworth) june long weekend,six races.
Did you buy another mozzie?

Re: Corroded mast - 04/23/14 12:54 AM

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. How long have you and Luke been sailing at Speers Point?

Yes we did buy another mozzie; 1727. It is in Victoria and we haven't picked it up yet.

Regards,
Greg.
Posted By: mousetrap

Re: Corroded mast - 04/23/14 02:47 AM

Hi Greg
Luke moved up here from Victoria last oct/nov and has been sailing since then when he can.I purchased 1749 late February and have sailed most races since then, bit of a learning curve but improving.
Will have 922 on the water by next sailing season, there is a young bloke in the club who is keen to sail it in the nationals.
Posted By: Beckit 1824

Re: Corroded mast - 04/23/14 06:54 AM

Hi Greg. I just got back to Victoria to sail at the sloop states. I'm not sailing sloop but a few of us are just going for a blast.
Only the 2 of us at Speers point so far but heaps of interest, especially from the f18s I blast past with my kite up. A lot of guys there are frustrated by rising boat costs, the hassle of keeping a crew and size and weight of their boats. The few races I have managed between my new boat I've been pretty competitive and with the nationals there next year hopefully the interest will peak.
Luke
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums