Catsailor.com

Tiki Pete

Posted By: jkkartz1

Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 01:28 PM

There is a fella on the Hobie Cat forum that is buying a Getaway for use on Pine Island or surroundings.

Where are you launching at?

I've used Pineland Marina before, but only because my friends were launching their stinkpot there.

Maybe the kayak launch in fron of Randy Wayne White's house?

Jack
Posted By: pgp

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 01:36 PM

I'm using the ramp on Sanibel. $9 toll for the bridge, $2/hour to park the trailer.

Do us all a favor and ask him to call Lee County Parks and Recreation and ask if he can launch from the causeway.

http://www.leeparks.org/

A long time ago, we had a lot of cats launching there regularly. If there is renewed interest maybe we can regain access.

I've launched from Pineland but not in 20 years. My guess is they've done nothing to improve the ramp.

The kayak launches I've seen aren't wide enough for a cat and there's no place to put the trailer. I haven't seen the launch you mentioned.

We shoud get together, have a local "cat fest" of sorts.

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 03:19 PM

Pineland got rebuilt with a new ramp after Charley.

Many years ago there was a place on the way to the causeway called Bunch Beach. Unforutunately, Lee County blocked it off.

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 04:01 PM

Bunche Beach is open to kayaks and the like but not catamarans; as you noted.

North Beach, I am told, is open to catamaran launching. It is an excellent site, but far from the Gulf or P.I. Sound.

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.657569,-81.884176&z=15&t=h&hl=en
Posted By: arievd

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 04:10 PM

I was just reading the Parks and Rec Causeway Islands page, and it says: "no launching or retrieval of motorized vessels, this would include both aerial and water type crafts"....that would mean cats are ok? Or is this in conflict with the actual regulation language?
I sent a e-mail to the Parks ans Rec contact listed on that page asking for clarification.

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 04:19 PM

"motorized" I believe is the key word. At any rate, one week ago North beach was recommended to me by a very nice lady pretty high up in the local heirarchy. I promised her I would use it and see what happens.

Wanna get together Sunday? 10:00 or so?

That site was home to the Edison Pageant of Light Regatta for many years. Eventually, the regatta ended, people stopped using the beach and a fence was erected. I asked the County to leave a gap in the fence for catamaran and other small boat use and they did. That must have been 10 or 15 years ago.

To my knowledge that beach has never been closed by statute, though the current residents are not particularly friendly to catamarans.

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 04:30 PM

Sounds like a plan! Where is North Beach?

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 04:34 PM

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=26.657569,-81.884176&z=15&t=h&hl=en

I can't get the link to open properly but if you highlight it then "search" it will show up. I hope.

Any way, it is just across the bridge in N. Ft. Myers on the left. Edison Sailing Center is on the site.

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 04:39 PM

Ok, that is the same place we launched before, right?

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 06:13 PM

Yes.
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 06:21 PM

Pete,

Were you referring (earlier post/thread) to sailing Sommerset regatta hosted by CMCS? They were at my last sail club (GCSC) meeting and it sounded like fun. 75+ boats already..

Best part of the meeting - it was "dress like a pirate" at the bar... aaarrrrh!

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 06:23 PM

Yes, but they won't let me enter. So I guess Arie and I are just going to go "sail around" their course. But we won't be racing! laugh

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 06:25 PM

that sucks.... Our newest member is an A-cat guy from NC who now has a Catalina/Capri 30... but he sure got excited when I mentioned you beach-catters in the great white north (Ft. Myers)

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 06:31 PM

Tell him to come on up this Sunday. We'll go sailing or mount an insurrection!!! ARggggh!

I don't expect any problems, really.

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 07:15 PM

I can arrange launching on the Gulf in Englewood. Parking is a problem but can be figured out.

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 07:17 PM

Englewood is a little far for daysailing. I'm really hoping to re-establish the sport here in Lee county.

Thanks anyway.

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 08:02 PM

I can come down to NFM for the day, but probably not for a couple of weeks. A daysail on the river would be ok.

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/10/10 08:07 PM

Let me know when you're available. Things are starting to heat up with the winter season. I have at least one out-of-town event for the next few months.

Re: Tiki Pete - 09/13/10 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by jkkartz1
I can arrange launching on the Gulf in Englewood. Parking is a problem but can be figured out.

Is that the Charlotte County Beach? I recall a sandy spit right on the harbor that looked good with a lot of boat/trailer parking (for power craft, but still). Always wondered if that would work for a regatta, and last yeas's Hobie thingk seemed to go well
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums