Catsailor.com

Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase

Posted By: PeteCullum

Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/15/11 08:17 PM

I got seperated from the boat at Steeplechase, and was going to title this post "Seperation Anxiety". But the truth is that I didn't actually experience any anxiety, but I certainly was bloody irritated.

I don't want to minimize the potential danger that someone seperated from a cat could find themselves in, but my situation was not very threatening.

We were a few miles south of Angelfish, having just set the kite when we went over. We were between 1.5 and 2 miles offshore. Importantly, the NE wind was blowing onshore. We righted the boat, which went right over again before we could get on it. We righted it a second time and it started sailing too fast for us to get on the boat, even though all sheets and traveler were fully eased. This was a borrowed N20 that we got rigged at the last minute, and unlike on my own F18 did not already have a safety-line running under the tramp to the rear beam to hold on to when going aft to steer the rudders into the wind. I went back anyway and held onto the beam but the tillers/linkage were backwards and could not be reached while holding on. I tried to turn the blade of a rudder and the rudder kicked-up. The last thing I grabbed was the tiller extension, which slipped right off leaving me behind the boat. My crew tried to turn the boat, but it flipped 50 feet to leeward of my.

It was immediately obvious that the boat was drifting faster than I could swim to it, so with the ugly-stick in one hand I started swimming to the beach in the same direction as the boat was drifting. An hour and twenty minutes later, with about 10-15 minutes more swimming to do to get to the beach, I saw Sea Tow pull up to the boat. I honestly had mixed feelings about seeing the assistance arrive. I've sailed tens of thousands of miles, many of them offshore single-handed and have never needed or requessted outside assistance of any kind, including when suffering catastrophic rudder failure 400 miles north of Oahu. I was proud of the track-record, and had already swum 80% of the way to the beach.

However, my crew had done the right and responsible thing in calling the CG, who had dispatched the Sea Tow boat, who promptly picked my up and took me to the boat. We righted it and sailed 35 miles down to Anne's Beach with the kite up the whole way, but sailing consrvatively much closer to the shore.

A few things I have learned;

1). Borrowing boats for long races is only adviseable if you have the time to "make it your own." We rushed to make it sailable, but did not make it fail-safe.
2). My boat and primary equipment were in a container coming back from the Caribbean and I did not have my waterproof VHF, EPIRB and other gear on me. The VHF we had was in the boat hull where it is of no use to anyone in the water.
3). A safety-line under the tramp is important, and would have given me something to properly hold on to while sorting out the steering gear.
4). I just spent $55 on a 28" wide sea anchor which I believe will prevent or reduce the drift rate to a speed that is swimable as It should also hold the bow to wind eliminating windage on the tramp.
5). Being fit enough to swim the distance you choose to sail offshore is probably a good guide to how fit you should be, or how far offshore you should go. I am a scawny 52 year-old, but I never felt tired in the water and easily had the strength right the boat and climb aboard once returned to it. The key is to have good floatation and find a low-energy pace to swim, which for me was on my back doing a low arm back-stroke. Speed was just under one knot. (boat drifted at 1.8 kts.)
6). I was wearing a dry-suit, which was comfortable and warm in the water, but without it I think I could have started to feel the cold.

Regardless of whether this was an anxiety-inducing event to me or not, it could have been more serious, and potentially wrenching to others who were in and around the event. We all owe our fellow competitors and the OA, RC etc. the curteousy of being as prepared for the conditions as possible. I had said the night before the race that if the winds shifted to offshore, we would not start the race, but really that signals that I knew we were not fully prepared for all potential scenarios. Rest assured that I will not be doing so again.

A big thank you respectively to the CG, Sea Tow, Daryl my crew, and to Jake and Frank who stuck around Anne's beach until we safely arrived.

Cheers,

Pete
Posted By: pgp

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/15/11 08:30 PM

laugh You aren't the first, won't be the last!

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/15/11 11:18 PM

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has seperation prevention ideas, or experience with drogues/sea anchors on beachcats. It goes over much less often that it used to, but it still happens.
Posted By: ThunderMuffin

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 01:38 AM

Pete,

One thing that we are mandating on all our teams going forwards for distance races is an inflatable diving tube. Its basically a bright neon orange 6 foot tall tube that you inflate when you drop in the drink. It sticks up in the air so you can easily be seen.
Posted By: JJ_

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 03:06 AM

3). A safety-line under the tramp is important, and would have given me something to properly hold on to while sorting out the steering gear.
4). I just spent $55 on a 28" wide sea anchor which I believe will prevent or reduce the drift rate to a speed that is swimable as It should also hold the bow to wind eliminating windage on the tramp.
+1.

Being fit enough to swim the distance you choose to sail offshore is probably a good guide to how fit you should be, or how far offshore you should go.
Perfect.
Posted By: Andinista

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 12:29 PM

I was thinking to replace my righting bag for a righting pole, but now I think the bag would make a good anchor, wouldn't it? ( I usually right the boat solo, so it's likely I would use the bag)
Posted By: Jake

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by PeteCullum
I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has seperation prevention ideas, or experience with drogues/sea anchors on beachcats. It goes over much less often that it used to, but it still happens.

I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but I have a pouch sewn underneath our trampoline that contains a drogue with a leash and two carabiners (of different colors). The first carabiner gets clipped to the dolphin striker, the next carabiner (through which the line runs freely through) gets clipped to the forestay bridle to keep the pull near the bow. The drogue is then tossed into the water. It should function to slow the boat down dramatically while on it's side, orient the bows into the wind, AND keep the boat from turning away from the wind once it's righted. Once the boat is righted and needs to get underway, it should be possible to pull the drogue up to the forestay bridle getting enough of it out of the water to permit sailing (potentially to go back and get your crew/skipper).

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 01:03 PM

None of you are considering tethering yourselves to the boat?
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by pgp

All of this has been gone over dozens of times here. Boat flips, tether tangles, you drown. Not to mention the tether inhibits your mobility enough to increase the probablility of flipping .
Posted By: waterbug_wpb

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 03:21 PM

I concur, Pete. The few times I've been separated were near coastal (or inland) waterways, and I was comfortable making the swim to shore if I had to. Might take a while (like Pete's backstroke), but a good PFD and gear go a long way in that respect.

So, the consensus seems to be a drogue of some sort, some way to grab the boat as it goes by, and items for good communication/visibility on your person

My hydration pack has a storage area where I keep GPS, VHF, cell (all in bags) and a jet-ski emergency pack which holds 3 flares, dye marker, mirror, and I think I may add the diver sausage for races like Steeple, GT, EC, T500, etc.

Oh, and my PB&J sandwich. Only thing I've found that still tastes good after being smashed into oblivion and sprayed with salt water.

Good training for both crew would be MOB either dropping sail and turning around or (if flipped) setting the boat up for minimal drift?
Posted By: tback

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb

So, the consensus seems to be a drogue of some sort, some way to grab the boat as it goes by,

How large a drogue do you think would be necessary?

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 04:10 PM

maybe a little larger than your avatar?

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 04:23 PM

Todd, the 6' safety-sausage is a great idea, and addresses the concern I had while in the water about being seen by fast-moving power boats (not that there were any).

$25 is cheap insurance against becoming hamburger!
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 04:57 PM

The best drogue is a catamaran mast and sails - THE CREW COULD HAVE INVERTED THE BOAT
Posted By: RickWhite

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 05:11 PM

Jay, you light up this Forum. ha ha
Posted By: cyberspeed

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG
The best drogue is a catamaran mast and sails - THE CREW COULD HAVE INVERTED THE BOAT

Would have broken the mast in the keys with shallow water.
Posted By: brucat

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 05:28 PM

Avatar references aside, this is not a joke:

The MHC is actively working on safety recommendations. It seems to me that these same discussions pop up on the board, year after year. I think it would be great to have some of you form a think tank and come up with a best practices guide to help people in the future.

Simple things like, a VHF or cell phone is useless if it's in a hull or tramp bag (as opposed to on your person) should not have to be learned the hard way by people, over and over.

Could be one more benefit of US Sailing.

Mike

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 05:42 PM

Well, lead keels would certainly aid stability.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 06:28 PM

Staying off the water is a pretty solid methedology for not drowning as well.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 07:01 PM

Mike, the drogue size is going to have to be a function of several things:
- boat size & windage
- overall length of deployment line
- sea state

So, we're not really looking at anything substantial for a lightweight cat - just something to keep it from exposing the tramp to a lot of windage. I think the one for 20' monohulls is too big, but haven't tested this hypothesis.

I think Jake's got one about 2' diameter, right? I suspect about 50' of line?
Posted By: David Ingram

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by brucat

The MHC is actively working on safety recommendations. It seems to me that these same discussions pop up on the board, year after year. I think it would be great to have some of you form a think tank and come up with a best practices guide to help people in the future.

Simple things like, a VHF or cell phone is useless if it's in a hull or tramp bag (as opposed to on your person) should not have to be learned the hard way by people, over and over.

Could be one more benefit of US Sailing.

Mike

You don't have to look that far to find some very tried and true open water long distance beachcat safety equipement requirements. Simply take a look the GT300 and Tybee 500 for safety equipment requirements.

Mike why don't you guys just take those and have US Sailing put their seal of approval on them? Also who in US Sailing has the open water, long distance, beachcat sailing experience that could review and add value to what has already been established by the beachcat community?

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 07:20 PM

US Sailing is us, not them. You get what you put into it.

What I'm suggesting isn't simply an equipment list, but a guide as to what the best practices are, and why. While buoy racing is a different discipline, lessons from the distance racers would still be valid.

I never said to have anyone at US Sailing write or approve this. The best people to write this are the various beachcat distance race sailors. The MHC, which is part of US Sailing, could arguably be the best place to tie this together across events and classes.

Or, we can sit around, make jokes, and complain that no one at US Sailing listens to us, gives us anything, or takes us seriously.

Your choice.

Mike

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 07:34 PM

The only time I hear from USS is when they want money. I give the money because USS does a very good job training race officials. Beyond that, I'd just as soon be left alone.

Let the guys doing distance stuff put their safety requirements in the SIs.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 07:40 PM

Okay I'll see you on the other side Mike I hope you enjoy the ride.

In the meantime I'm going to go with what has worked for the GT and Tybee sailors.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
The only time I hear from USS is when they want money.

I'm trying to fix that. Besides, you don't get the email updates?

Originally Posted by pgp
I give the money because USS does a very good job training race officials. Beyond that, I'd just as soon be left alone.

My response wasn't directed at you personally. There is no shortage of people here asking what US Sailing does for its members.

Originally Posted by pgp
Let the guys doing distance stuff put their safety requirements in the SIs.

Good point. The only time a sailor would need to know any of this stuff is if they're in the middle of a distance race.

Mike

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 07:55 PM

No, I don't get email updates.

I do enjoy the rules discussions and explanations from the judges and wish there were more of them. I also understand the judges are volunteers.
Posted By: TEAMVMG

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 08:05 PM

Yeah. Don't worry about the helmsman - save the bloody mast!

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 08:11 PM

laugh Anyone know what the depth was?
Posted By: ksurfer2

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 08:16 PM

The depth on the ocean side varies greatly along key largo. While it may have been deep enough to turtle the boat, that may not have been possible. There is a boat from this race a couple years ago where a crew member was seperated. A veteran distance racer was left aboard his N20 (same boat as this incident). He tried, unsuccessfully, to turtle the boat. The buoyance in the mast was too great to get the boat to go turtle.
Posted By: Karl_Brogger

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 08:29 PM

Funny how that works. There have been times I've tried to turtle a boat, and I just would not go. I've also turtled a boat and it had been so windy and rough that it wouldn't stay.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 08:31 PM

I concur. East of Hawk's Channel could be deep enough, but a lot of times you're hugging the shoreline in 15-20 feet of water, so a 32' mast probably won't turtle very well.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 08:39 PM

I wish I were a cartoonist! I have a vision of two guys in waist deep water balancing an N20 on it's mast tip... It might be funnier in 15'!

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 09:37 PM

25 feet is the max inside the reef. A broken stick is what you'll get if you try to turtle your boat.
Posted By: Team_Cat_Fever

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by pgp
I wish I were a cartoonist! I have a vision of two guys in waist deep water balancing an N20 on it's mast tip... It might be funnier in 15'!

We basically did that in the 2010 Tybee. Harness strap gave out which through a series of circus acts caused us to gybe, flip and immediately go turtle. We were on the upturned tramp and when the mast went straight down, we were also on top of a wave . When the wave passed we were sitting on a platform 3' above the water. We quickly got it beyond 90, then slowly righted it.Shattered the halyard crane.
One lesson to be learned here is don't hangon to the boom or stand on the mast after the boat has flipped unless you want to turtle it. We were having a really good run when this happened with one boat (Mischa) in front of us, so basically the whole fleet went by us and no one saw us. A couple of teams said we just vanished. So if you choose to turtle your boat, it's not a guarantee you'll get it unturtled (we barely did) and you WILL be very hard to spot.
Another time in the Hogs Breath ,crew fell off boat flipped and I managed to right it alone( It's gotta be breezy) and get back to my crew before a good samaritan made chum out of him with his boat prop.
There's alot more stories but the bottom line is you have to do whatever you can with what you've got.
I'd be interested in someone testing this drogue theory to see if it slows the boat ENOUGH for a heavily laden swimmer to catch it.I have my doubts.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 10:28 PM

"we were sitting on a platform 3' above the water"

That's worthy of a T-shirt.

"There's alot more stories.." They're worthy of their own thread and maybe a book.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 10:31 PM

Posted a video interview on www.SailSeries.com
Posted By: catandahalf

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/16/11 11:07 PM

What about the day when Doug Foote, Dirk Lundquist, and others would race 18m2s from Gulfport Yacht Club, MS to Pensacola Beach - that's 120 nm, singlehanded, in the GoM, prior to our fancy cybernetic toys we have today?

Maybe seamanship plays a role, and if not, I am sure the court will sort out the horror.

Posted By: catman

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/17/11 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by TEAMVMG

I think it would be better if one person could right the boat. A simple righting bag, The crew rescues the boat then goes for MOB. The inflatable sausage is a great idea.

I sail with a 7lb fortress (light) and a large righting bag. Upon capsizing I throw the anchor and rig the bag. Even if the anchor doesn't bite it seems to add enough drag to help the bows point into the wind.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/17/11 02:59 AM

The drogue also helps the boat point into the wind unless the current is VERY bad.
Posted By: davefarmer

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/17/11 04:15 AM

Where are inflatable sausages available?

Dave

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/17/11 04:21 AM

Dave,

Earlier today I bought a 6' safety sausage on Amazon.
Posted By: joeyg

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/17/11 01:36 PM

You can by a safety sausage at any local dive shop, and I believe that some west marine locations carry them.

Joe

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/17/11 04:22 PM

Thanks Joe!

Dave
Posted By: dacarls

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/19/11 05:21 AM

About 50 cats got turned over in the big Mt. Dora spring race back in the day. The start was scary downwind blowing over 25, then it got way heavier! My Hobie 18 didn't just capsize after the first mark while missing others, it got flung upside down, and the mast stuck in the mud. It took us 20 minutes on one hull then the other trying to get it loose. On the way back in, the same thing happened again, and it took a powerboat to get the mast out. Nobody got hurt AFAIK. Yup- cast iron.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/20/11 03:32 PM

if it's blowing hard enough that you need a drogue to slow the boat down, it is likely you can right it singlehanded once it's pointed into the wind (by the drougue) and the main sheds some water.

Happened on my N20 in 18+ kts of breeze and medium chop (Florida Bay side). Didn't have drogue but I swam the bows enough to the wind that my crew (175#) could right the boat by himself. Once the wind got under the main and the water ran off, it was relatively straightforward to pull it upright. But it may have just been a good day, too...
Posted By: rexdenton

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/20/11 03:48 PM

Pete,

Glad it worked out for the best...My worst case scenario is a squall, and I wanted to get a sea anchor before my last distance event. I was once sailing a N5.5 near home in a squall with 60 mph straight line wind , lightening, hail the works... solo. The ferocity of the wind and my point of sail left me no choice but to bear dead downwind to avoid the death zone and an assured capsize and whatever was to follow. While it was not to be the end of the world, it was pretty spooky, as riding it out was taking me onto a reef/island at extreme velocity, when, just as I was about to scuttle, as fast as it started, it was dead calm. (then it took me 2 h to sail about 1 mile). Where did you get your sea anchor, and what length line do you have attached to it?

One thought I would like to hear more about is helm. Most performance boats are pretty helm neutral and if they are righted, I figure they will pretty much sail away on their own. It has never happened to me. Any thoughts from the peanut gallery on this topic?

As for the diver marker...do those self-inflate?

+1 on the underneath grab line. A must have...
Posted By: evansdb78

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/20/11 06:17 PM

The idea of having an anchor, sea anchor, inflatable sausage, etc. may help in various situations but don't seem to be a very solid solution to any real situation especially when you are separated from the boat.

I think it's best for each person to have a VHF that is both waterproof and floats on them. EPIRB for offshore, but they do take a bit if time to be effective, as in USCG gets the signal, confirms its authenticity and get a rescue underway.

As far as getting a rescue fast and back in the race, a chase boat for the fleet is probably the best bet.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/20/11 10:41 PM

Rex- I think the dive marker sausages require manual inflation.

Jim Zelmer recommended kicking up a rudder before righting the boat, so it is more likely to turn into the wind. This sounds like a good idea, but I haven't tried it yet. Does anyone know how well this works?

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/21/11 03:28 AM

Pete,
Cabellla's has what they call drift socks, for fishermen, at reasonable prices.

Dave
Posted By: orphan

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/21/11 01:32 PM

Would the 3' sausage work? Much easier to inflate and smaller to carry(fits in most vest pockets) Still very visable.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/22/11 05:17 PM

Dave-thanks, I got one at another fishing supply place that sounds similar for about $45. In case anyone is interested I went with the 28" diameter.

Orphan-ya pays ya money and ya places ya bet. Let us know how it works out.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/22/11 06:24 PM

Pete,
I have been using a small one( about 9" in diameter and 36" long) for diving for years. Helps the dive boat find you. Easy to inflate since it takes a lot less air and easy to wave around to get someones attention. The problem with the large tube is getting it inflated. Not a problem with a tank of air atttached to your back. Not so easy in large waves with wind and you are spending most of your energy trying to just keep from getting a mouth full of water. Now if you plan on using it as a raft you might want the large one.
And I don't understand the diameter issue. The idea is the length so you can get it up high for soemone to see.
Orphan.
Posted By: Seeker

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/22/11 07:50 PM

Coming in from off shore fishing...looking for a red buoy 18'+ high and bigger in diameter than my boat is wide, with a known location...is still hard to see with 3-5' seas...from a distance.

Based on my experience the bigger the better.
Posted By: sail7seas

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/22/11 09:02 PM

On an offshore distance race between PR and Culebra, I was rescued using a signal mirror on a cat with two sheared/lost rudders.
Put a mirror or reflective tape on top of tube?

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/22/11 09:37 PM

Orphan- The 28" diameter refers to the mouth of the drogue I bought. I got a 6' safety-tube, which I believe has a 9" dia. but I haven't received it yet. You might be right that 3' tall is sufficient, but I went with the 6' one largely because it was recommended by an experienced Tybee racer.

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/23/11 02:49 PM

yellow or red? I always get yellow because red does not show up for color blind people.
Posted By: Will_R

Re: Seperation Irritation at Steeplechase - 12/23/11 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by Team_Cat_Fever
Originally Posted by pgp

All of this has been gone over dozens of times here. Boat flips, tether tangles, you drown. Not to mention the tether inhibits your mobility enough to increase the probablility of flipping .

+1 on this. Also, ask Randy why he wears inflatable suspenders instead of a vest.

I was NEARLY separated going around Hatteras b/c I was shoved under water by the skipper of the boat I was on. It was a typical slow round up and capsize spinnaker flip. I had my escape route and was executing it, but suddenly he jumped on my back as I was lowering to the water. His weight forced me deep enough that I ended up going under the hull. I popped up ~2-3' from the bottom of the boat and started swimming like crazy. You add VHF, EPIRB, camel back, GPSs and the rest of the typical distance racing gear we wear along with a dry suit, a danforth as nothing on us at that point.... (get it anchor?) With the sand bars at the Cape, I'd go from swimming to running back to swimming very quickly. The breeze and current were offshore and luckily I was able to grab the TOP batten on the main as the mast pivoted by. I vowed that the only way I was letting go was if that batten broke off in my hand. Had I not held on, I was head to England w/o my passport, lol.

The point I wanted to make is that when sailing with skippers that I trust and especially the one I spend most of my on the water time with, we always have a plan/system. I'm usually the larger of the two and therefore am also the last person on the boat. As such, the skipper plans to roll himself up onto the boat as it rights while I always plan to have a solid hold somewhere and jump on as soon as he’s out of the way. This gives us a man on deck to steer if I can't hold on. Knock on wood, to date that has never happened and I've been upside down in some gnarly stuff on very light boats.

Which brings me to my last point which we were discussing a couple of weeks ago. Trust your partner and make sure that they're competent. I learned my lesson with the Worrell and never would I sail with that particular person EVER again OR do a race like that w/o someone that I would trust with my life! I know that my skipper can get us out of almost any jam and he knows that I can do that same. Among other things, we can both run the boat single handed and are both big enough to pull the other on board. We planned to do the Cuba race and that level of trust is a HUGE comfort to me.

In short, communication is key and IMO being prepared for all hell to break loose is part of that discussion. You can't prevent bad luck, but you can make good luck happen sometimes. I think the orange buoy and small drogue are both good ideas if they're small enough to not cause a problem on their own. Also, at one point Garmin Rhino’s were getting popular b/c they were radios with GPS that could send locations between the two, something else to consider.
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums