Catsailor.com

Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat

Posted By: Anonymous

Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/05/02 01:29 AM

Several years ago, somebody donated a H16 to a scout troop. It was missing a number of things and sat around until the scoutmaster decided he wanted to get rid of it. My sister adopted it and than traded it to me.

It is a very old H16 and the current laws require that I register it before I can sail it. So, I called the Parks & Wildlife Department, and they want to know the hull serial number so they can locate the previous registered owner, if any (to fill out all the registrations, etc.).

Actually, at one point the PWD rep told me it is probably not worth my while going through all the legal hoops - that I would spend more on registrations, etc. than the boat is worth. I hope not, I spent a small bundle buying spare parts and fixing things already.

Anyway, I can't find a serial number anywhere. Where should I be looking? I have seen a number of posts on the model year, is there a way to determine the age of the boat?

Thanks,

TGR

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/05/02 02:54 AM

It should be located on the rear of the hulls by the rudder pins.

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/05/02 03:44 AM

Thanks for the help.

The transoms are flat and smooth. Is it a metal plate or molded into the fibreglass? Is it on both hulls or just one (if so, which)?

This boat has light blue decks with white hulls. Do you know what year they started serializing them? Maybe it is just older than that.

Thanks,

TGR

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/05/02 06:52 AM

Well, Mine are engraved into the back. it's on both hulls.

Yours have probably been painted over a few to many times, so you can't see it anymore.

I thought they Serializing boats was just for insurence. So can't they just give you a new code? Sail numbers will give you a rough year when it was made.
Posted By: CMerrell

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/05/02 01:08 PM

Hope this doesn't give you a headache but here are a couple of things to consider:

The serial number should be engraved on the transoms, as mentioned. Transom repair or painting may have filled/wiped out the engraving.

Early H16s ('70, '71, '72?) had the serial number stamped into the front pylon, so check there also.

Do any TX registration numbers still exist on the boat? Look for decal gum or gel coat fading. Possible it may never have been registered in TX?

Maybe you can "fake it" by saying you got the boat from a state where registration is not required (VA for example). TX authorities would probably want to see a bill of sale and have you pay sales tax but if the boat is only worth $300 or $500, the tax bite may not be that bad.

Hope you can navigate the redtape and enjoy your boat soon!

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/05/02 05:17 PM

Thanks for the info.

I looked and didn't see anything near the front pylons. According to the TPWD, in 1972 the Coast Guard required all hulls to be serialized near the transom with specific requirements.

I don't see anything. There is a lot of expoxy and marine caulk back there (whoever filled the drain plug holes with caulk also), but it looks smooth where the numbers should be.

The procedure here is to fill out a form and sign an affadavit saying it is yours, how long you had it, etc. Then it has to be inspected by a game warden, they issue a new serial number and registration. I have no idea how old the boat is though and I am really worried they will come back and say, "oh you need a bill of sale, transfer, etc.". They don't have to accept the affadavit as proof of ownership, it is at the discretion of the game warden.

The rep on the phone was telling me I would need to have each previous owner register the boat, pay the fees, and then pay a transfer to the next owner.

I will call and make an appointment on Monday, and then drive the boat over to the game warden and see what happens.

In the worse case, I can part it out and try to buy a complete boat.

Thanks again,

TGR
Posted By: PSAILOR

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/05/02 08:37 PM

Can you tell a little white lie and say you put the boat together from a few junk boats and parts you found that were never registered?

Just a thought.
Posted By: tx246

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/06/02 01:32 AM

i too am in texas with a similar dilema. ive been sailing a 16 for 10+yrs without registration. the old rule was if it was sail powered no numbers needed. this was changed in the early 90s. most sailboats like ours were never registered. i called the austin tpw office and told them that i had bought this boat in 1990 and never sought to register it. she said to fill out an application for title and registration. my boat has a serial number and that is what yours is missing. they cant issue a title without a serial number. she said it was no big deal as far as getting it registered and titled but to put in a letter explaining the circumstances. they are more interested in collecting the fees than anything else. my hull serial number in nothing more than an engraved number. as old as your boat is i think you could get away with any digit serial number as long as it is prior to 92. i cant imagine they call hobie to verify and the odds that "actual" boat is registered in texas is between slim and none. bottom line is create a serial number to put on the application for title and state that is was never titled because of the pervious law. expect to pay sales tax and registration which should be in the 6% range. last alternative is to "build" a boat. get reciepts to show parts and equipment. if you can get to 300 or so they can inspect it and issue it a serial number.

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/06/02 06:58 AM

They do have a provision for "homebuilt" boats, but you have to show materials invoices, etc., and you still have to get it inspected by a game warden. I don't think they would be fooled.

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/06/02 07:05 AM

This is pretty close to what I will do, although I can't just make up the serial number because the game warden will inspect the boat.

What I can do is fill out an affidavit declaring I own it and seeking a state-issued serial number because the existing number is obliterated/not present.

I would like a reasonable approximation of the age before I take it to the warden.

Somebody said the numbers on the sails are indicative of the age, can anyone elaborate on that, or point me to a resource that indicates the numbering scheme?

Are there any other large model year differences? For example, I know the masthead was changed at one point, does anyone know what year? Are there any other noticeable design changes I could look for that would give me a rough idea of the age?

As long as I could be sure it was 1988 or earlier, that would be great.

Thanks,

TGR

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/06/02 05:18 PM

My sail # is 30252 and I know that it's at least from 1985.

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/07/02 10:13 AM

Maybe I can give you a little help.

My first H16 was a 1977 and had a sail number of 25345.

My bros' 1981 was 66205.

The current 1984 is 86949.

Why not make up a serial number. Buy or borrow an engraving tool and engrave the serial number on both transoms.

How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change? - 04/08/02 04:05 AM

I looked at the sails and the number is 12100. Based on the numbers the other guys gave, I would say that puts it in the early '70s. Can anybody help me narrow it down?

So, maybe I should be looking more closely at the front pylon. Where exactly should I be looking on the front pylon? The metal, the fiberglass deck or hull, is there a metal plate?

It also has the old style mast head - does anyone know what year it changed?

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/08/02 04:07 AM

There is no decal gum for registration. Based on the sail number, it might be early 70's. When you say stamped into the front pylon, where exactly? Into the metal? ...or into the fairing?

It has the older style masthead.

Thanks,

TGR
Posted By: jmhoying

Re: How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change? - 04/08/02 03:06 PM

My 1976 H16 had sail #18731. If it was mine, I would find out the basic format for the serial number and then make one up.

Jack

Attached picture 5944-Hobiephoto-s.jpg

Re: How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change? - 04/08/02 11:52 PM

I called Hobie today. I asked if they could give me an idea of the age of boat based on the sail number. She told me 'no.' So then I asked if they were issued sequentially or at random, she said 'yea, uh-huh," to random.

She knew even less about cats than I do (she didn't know what a pylon, stern, or transom was 'back part of the boat'). So, that doesn't seem to be real useful.

I could have asked about the masthead change, but I doubt she would know.

Thanks,

TGR
Posted By: PSAILOR

Re: How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change? - 04/09/02 03:02 AM

Just a thought on the serial no problem you are having...

Could you find an un-regestered older boat, such as a damaged boat or abandoned boat from an area that does not require registration and "borrow" the number. A reader may be able to provide a number off of a damaged hull, ect that is not registered and you could engrave that onto you boat, then say it was brought into the state from one without a registration requirement and see if a title can be made.

Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat - 04/09/02 06:08 AM

Hey Tex,

My H16 is a 1972 Coast Cat. The 4 digit serial # is stamped on both front aluminum pylons and are readable from the sides.

Hope this helps

Tom
Posted By: Keith

Re: How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change? - 04/09/02 02:18 PM

Hobie sail numbers are not assigned to the boat like other one-design classes. For instance, in Flying Scots you register with the class association and are then assigned a sail number. Whenever you get sails you're supposed to use your class assigned number. Lots of one-design classes work this way. Hobie sail numbers are sequential, but apparently sequential in the sail making process only. You might be able to figure out what year your sail was made (if you're lucky) but that will only mean anything about the boat if you are certain it is the original sail, or if the sail was replaced by someone who requested the original sail number be put on it. For instance, when I bought my '79 Hobie-18 in about '93 (man, I need a new boat!) it had a sail number of 14863, on newish sails. I'm pretty darn sure that was not the original number for an 18 that old. I recently bought a new sail from Hobie for it, wasn't even asked about sail # preference (I was figuring I'd be putting the numbers on) and it came through nicely numbered 16744. My guess is that whenever they make a main they just put the next number on it and ship it. One item: The sail is very nice, well made, and has enabled me to kick some butt in the local Fleet - if you're feeling sluggish, try new rags from Hobie.

So here's another serial number and year of manufacture thing - if you see an "R" after the number, it means that you have a replacement hull. Both of my hulls have "R" on them, so even though the number indicates it's a 1979, I have no real idea as to when the hulls were actually built or why they were replaced! I've always figured I could call Hobie and get some answers, but it sounds like that might not be the case if they don't know which end of a boat is which!

Posted By: CMerrell

Re: How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change? - 04/15/02 12:44 PM

I would guesstimate sail number 12100 in the '72, '73, '74 range.

The masthead changed to the 2 sheave design in the mid-'80s.

Successfully registered! - 04/15/02 11:45 PM

Thanks to everyone for their help.

I took it to the game warden this morning. He verified there was no legible serial number, I signed an affidavit about where I got it and how long I had it, paid the fees ($80), and voila - title, Texas issued hull number, and registration number.

Based on a '73 with a sail number in the 7000 range, and a '76 in the 18000 range, I said I thought it was a '75. Well, now it is, by act of Texas! (at least that is what the new title says).

Now I can concentrate on refinishing it, and getting it ready to sail (3-4 weeks I guestimate).

Thanks again for all the input.

TGR
© 2024 Catsailor.com Forums