07/27/01 11:01 AM
07/27/01 11:01 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Ok, how big of a problem is this with other H16 sailors? Every time I tack, unless it's blowing way over 10 knots of wind, the jib battens get so completely hooped into the halyards it's an amazing pain to try and untangle.
<br>
<br>When I was taking out my nephew and niece a couple of days ago (7 and 9 years old) it's a good thing it wasn't too windy because what I ended up having to do was let go of the tiller, walk up to the mast, and all 3 of us trying to get it unworked. This can't be happening in a real wind!! And I can't be asking the crew to stop what they're doing and try to unwork this every time we tack.
<br>
<br>There are only 3 H16's in my area, so I don't have a huge pool of other H16 sailors to ask about this (the only one I've ever seen come out at the same time I'm out is also a new H16 owner, and also has the same problem, so unfortunately that's no help).
<br>
<br>I've tried cranking on the battens as tight as I can, and I've raked the mast as far back as I think I can manage. No difference.
<br>
<br>I also tried snapping the jib sheet real hard after it backwinds, all I accomplished was I broke my jib cleet and donated a roller fairlead to the bottom of the lake.
<br>
<br>So, it seems my options are:
<br>- take out the battens altogether
<br>- sail without a jib
<br>- hack off 1" - 1.5" of the battens (but then I won't get full curve out of them)
<br>- batten hinges from Hobie
<br>
<br>I'm very seriously considering the hinge idea. Is there any reason not to try this? After reading another post in this forum it makes me wonder if this idea is somehow a little looked-down upon or shunned by other H16 sailors, but maybe I'm reading too much into things. I definitely can't go on like this, already my wife is thinking about shunning the Hobie and only going out on the Fireball (she's not yet a speed demon ... if that boat is even just barely humming along "there's no way she's going to stand up and try to fix that" ... sigh ... I'm working on breaking her in but things like this don't help!) I need some kind of option to get past this.
<br>
<br>Any ideas??? Thanks, all!<br><br>

Attached Files
1098- (61 downloads)
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Are jib batten-hinges a bad idea? #1156
07/27/01 11:34 AM
07/27/01 11:34 AM
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Greg Offline
Greg  Offline

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Tony,
<br> I don't know about hinged battons, but I have had trouble bringing the jib across in a tack. You mentioned the halyards, and it makes me think of the trouble I had when I forgot to use the halyard hooks that are mounted 10 to 15 feet up the mast. When I insured that both halyards were properly tucked out of the way via the two halyard retainers on the sides of the mast, I never had trouble with jib battens getting caught in the halyards. I still have some trouble in light air with the battens passing the mast, but they don't hang up in the halyard lines. In light winds no one is that busy anyway, so it isn't much for my crew to handle.
<br>Good luck,
<br>Greg H14,H16<br><br>

Re: Are jib batten-hinges a bad idea? #1157
07/27/01 02:54 PM
07/27/01 02:54 PM
S
sail-s Offline
enthusiast
sail-s  Offline
enthusiast
S

There are several options to consider with the jib battens hang up problem.
<br>
<br>1. I shave my jib battens so I can get better shape in my jib and main. Where to shave the battens is another story and you really need to have the H16 performance manual as it is very informative about this topic. Shaving the jib battens also helps the battens to flex easier which results in the battens bending to come across the mast much easier
<br>
<br>2. Cut the battens as short as possible so they do not stick out to far and hand up on the halyard, etc.
<br>
<br>3. As mentioned in the other post the halyard hooks are great even though I don't have any on my H16.
<br>
<br>4. You can also get a set of superflex jib battens for about $32 which are light weight battens for the H16 jib that also eliminate the jib hang up problem.
<br>
<br>5. You can buy a furling jib set-up.
<br>
<br>6. And finally you could also take the top 2 battens out of the jib. Last we I was taking some people with disabilities out on my H16 with Trapseat and forgot the superflex battens so I took out the top 2 battens and had zero problems jib hang up and the jib worked just fine. I thought to myself this is easier then pulling out my racing battens and putting in the superflex battens (which really is not that hard).
<br>
<br>:So you have some options and you will learn as I have that Jib hang up does not have exist on the H16.<br><br>

Re: Are jib batten-hinges a bad idea? #1158
07/27/01 04:54 PM
07/27/01 04:54 PM
Rhode Island
woodsskiier Offline
stranger
woodsskiier  Offline
stranger

Rhode Island
I agree with the use of halyard hooks 100% I added them to my boat several years ago, and haven't had a jib hang-up problem since. Before I put on the halyard hooks, I used to tie back the main halyard with a piece of line through the reefing gromet. This also works great, if you have a reefable sail.<br><br>

Attached Files
1112- (55 downloads)

Wayne

Hobie 16
Re: Are jib batten-hinges a bad idea? #1159
07/29/01 02:27 AM
07/29/01 02:27 AM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

I have used a colored piece (to match sail color) of duct tape to cover the batten ends so the friction is reduced as they slide past the mast. It is not a definite fix but it works better than nothing. Tape it approx 5-6 inches forward of the batten end on both sides of the jib. Good Luck and sail safe.<br><br>

Re: Are jib batten-hinges a bad idea? #1160
07/30/01 07:06 AM
07/30/01 07:06 AM
West Texas
Hobie Dave Offline
Hobie Dave  Offline

West Texas
I have a couple hinges that I will give you. I took them off; I am in West Texas, and we usually have plenty of wind to tack the jib. I installed halyard grips, but do not use them. Closely trimmed battens and good crew works great. Drop me a email if you want these hinges: evtwilliams@hotmail.com
<br>
<br><br><br>

Attached Files
1166- (60 downloads)
Re: Are jib batten-hinges a bad idea? #1161
07/30/01 12:15 PM
07/30/01 12:15 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thanks to everyone for the replies and the suggestions. I don't have the halyard hooks on my mast but I can totally see how they would make a difference.
<br>
<br>I had a chance on the weekend to try the small piece of line through the reefing grommet to hold the two halyards back (and although I can see that the hooks would be even better), the difference this made was night and day. No comparison really. The winds started off heavy but slowly dwindled down to 2 knots, but even in those light winds *not once* did I have a hang-up that a gentle (but assertive) snap on the jib sheet couldn't fix. So thank you for that suggestion, this will certainly tie me over 'till I can get those hooks on.
<br>
<br>A couple other things I noticed that may have helped, the battens were not tied in right, fixing that got them in a little more; and also I could not get my second-from-the-top batten in as far as the others "not for love nor money" so I shaved off about 1/8" and it doesn't stick out as far anymore.
<br>
<br>Thanks once again to everyone. Great ideas. What a great forum this is!<br><br>

Attached Files
1184- (59 downloads)

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 633 guests, and 169 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022