Notice Of Racing (NOR)
The “ Islander Triangle ”
…..Dare to go into the Triangle??.…
Open racing for 16’ -22’ Catamaran’s with or without Spinnakers
January 11th, 2009
Note: This is a fun race to tune up for the 2009 racing season, be ready for the A Cat Invitational, Intergalactic, Catamarans in the Tradewinds and other races to follow.
1.THE ORGANIZING AUTHORITY is Islander Watersports inc.
2.LOCATION: Islander resort, Islamorada, FL ( MM 82, US 1, Florida Keys).
3.RULES The regatta will be guided by the Racing Rules of Sailing (RRS)
Only this NOR and Sailing Instructions documents for this races will apply.
Racing rules will be changed as follows:
a. For rule violations, Rule 44.2 is modified to require only one turn to include one tack and one jibe.
b. There will be no jury or protest committee. All violations and penalty turns are to be resolved on the course. No other races or series are involved. This is to be considered a skills development race to hone skills for the 2009 season.
4. ADVERTISING: Advertising on boats and sails is permitted, but restricted to tasteful depictions. The RC has final judgment on appropriateness.
5.ELIGIBILITY AND ENTRY This regatta is open to all 16’ – 22’ Catamarans with or without Spinnakers, and A Class Catamarans. Eligible boats may enter by completion of the, attached entry form and sending it together with or without an entry fee of $20 to Warren Green, email address: email@example.com, or mailing address: 18 Spinnaker Point Court, Indian Harbour Beach, FL 32937. Late registrations may be completed on Saturday January 10th after 5:00PM or Sunday January 11th before 9:00AM, at the Islander Resort. Early email notification of intent to race is encouraged to help in planning efforts. Early registrations do not have to submit fee until the day of racing. Email address for notification of intent to race is: firstname.lastname@example.org . Fees used for awards: baseball caps embroidered with race and place of finish.
6. SCHEDULE: A “Red” flag will used as warning signal, no earlier than 10:55 Sunday, January 11th 2009. All registered boats will have the opportunity to start, utilizing an in the water start line as described in the SI.
Early email notifications of Intent are required for any classes to be formed.
7. REGISTRATION: Registration form, attached hereto, may be submitted by mail or email, from this day forward. Final registrations and fees will be accepted after 5:00PM on Saturday, January 10th and up until 09:00AM on Sunday January 11th. Please note request for early notification of intent to race above.
8. MEASUREMENTS No measurements will be made. Honor System in place.
9. SAILING INSTRUCTIONS (SI) will be provided to skippers at a registration table at the Islander Resort, after 5:00PM on Saturday, January 10th , 2009.
10. COURSES. Two courses will be designed into large triangles. The first will be designed for at least 3 hours for spinnaker equipped boats 16’ – 22’, starting off the Islander resort in at least 4 feet of water. This course will utilize the large reef marks for the longer course, to the degree possible, dependent upon sailing conditions of the day.
A second, 1-2 hour, triangle will be used for non-spinnaker catamarans and “A” Class boats who wish a shorter course, with the same location, but later start. Competitors will be required to designate the course selected at registration. Start direction and definition of the Triangle to be raced, will be in the SI.
11. Required minimum safety Equipment: Short Course: Appropriate CG approved PFD for each crew member, one(1) throwable life preserver, two(2) miniature flares, one (1)Whistle, 1 – 20’ Tow line, beverage(s) (Non-alcoholic) for duration of race, clothing appropriate for conditions. Inspections for these items will be made prior to the skippers meeting.
Required on the longer course: The above items plus: One (1) waterproofed cell phone and one (1) waterproof handheld VHF. One (1) hand held or mounted GPS. Inspections for these items will be made prior to the skippers meeting.
12. PENALTY SYSTEM: Rule 44.2 is modified to require only one penalty turn to include one tack and one jibe.
13. SCORING: Classes may be organized by a minimum of four (4) boats. Early notifications of intent to race, no later than December 20th, 2008, will be required to form any class, so that awards may be purchased. Any boats not formed into classes will be formed into one single open class. Classes will be scored by the low point system. The open class will be scored by using Portsmouth handicapping.
14. SUPPORT BOATS: There will be One (1) RC boat. No chase boats will be provided. Competitors are expected, and will sign a statement of capability, to handle all situations which may be met in the open ocean. All competitors will responsible to manage becoming water borne in time for racing. Boats may be placed at the Islander Resort at owner’s risk, any time on or after Saturday morning, January 10th, 2009, for storage until racing commences. Please contact Dennis Green of Islander Watersports, phone # 305 522 4944, for parking location. No trailers are permitted to be left on the beach area. Come in, COORDINATE YOUR PLACEMENT LOCATION, drop your boat onto cat wheels and pull trailer to the trailer parking area. Neither the Islander Resort or Islander Watersports will be responsible for any damage or loss during the stay in this location. You may store your boat in the parking area at the islander for the follow on races through the start of Tradewinds.
15. Special hotel rate of $159 plus taxes has been negotiated with the Islander resort, reservation phone number 305 664 2031. Please refer to Islander Triangle racing when making reservations to obtain rates.
Registration Form: Copy and paste into email to: email@example.com Remember registrations or emails of intent to race are required to form separate Classes.
The “ Islander Triangle Registration”
Open racing for 16’ - 22’ Catamaran’s with or without spinnakers & “A” Class Catamarans
Skipper’s name:____________________________ Crew Name______________________________
Email address:________________________________________ Fee Paid ($20) ____(Committee intials)
Phone contact Number _________________________ Sail Number ________________
Portsmouth rating, if known. _______________ ; Course selected to Race: Long____ Short____
Bow Number, if any ______ Boat Manufacturer ________________ Hull Color _________
Liability Insurance, minimum of $100K: Presented to RC _______ (confirmed) (Committee initials)
READ BEFORE SIGNING
We understand we will be sailing in an open ocean, and may be away from other boats, out of sight of the RC or other rescue options, which we understand and are clearly aware, will not be provided as a part of this race and we state clearly and with assuredness that we can handle any situation we may encounter, including break up and even loss of our boat or crew member . Any rescue needed, will be up to ourselves. We will sail with all the required safety equipment described below. We further certify that we can right our boat without assistance, in case of capsize.
Required minimum safety Equipment: Short Course: Appropriate CG approved PFD for each crew member, one(1) Throw-able life preserver, two(2) Miniature flares, One(1) Whistle, One(1) - 20’Tow line, Beverage(s) (Non-alcoholic) for duration of race, Clothing appropriate for conditions.
Long Course: All the above plus: One (1) Waterproofed cell phone.
One (1) Waterproof handheld VHF and One (1) hand held GPS is required.
[b]RELEASE, WAIVER AND COVENENT NOT TO SUE. ..
READ BEFORE SIGNING[/b]
The undersigned acknowledge that in consideration of the efforts of the host organization for being allowed participate in these races and the acceptance of this registration to race, WE DO HEREBY WAIVE AND RELEASE ANY AND ALL CLAIMS THE UNDERSIGNED MAY HAVE AGAINST THE HOST, ITS OFFICERS, DIRECTORS OR TRUSTEES AND ITS COMMITTEE MEMBERS, AGENTS AND REPRESENTATIVES ARISING OUT OF THE ACTIVITIES INVOLVED IN THE CONDUCT OF THIS RACE, AND DO FURTHER COVENENT AND AGREE NOT TO SUE OR BRING ANY CLAIM OR CLAIMS OF ANY NATURE WHATSOEVER AGAINST THE HOST ORGANIZATION OR ANY OF THE PERSONS AND OFFICES NAMED OR UNNAMED ABOVE WHO MAY BE ACTING FOR THE HOST, OR ITS OWN, BEHALF.
___________________________________, Skipper ________________________________ , Crew