05/19/09 07:56 AM
05/19/09 07:56 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
If you are the owner of a Nacra 20 could you please PM me your Name, Email and best contact number. I'm trying to put together a database of owners to develop an owner's association.
Thanks
Todd A. Hart

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #179139
05/21/09 07:11 AM
05/21/09 07:11 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
BUMP

Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #179316
05/21/09 10:02 PM
05/21/09 10:02 PM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
Thanks for doing this. You should have received an email from me with our 14 owners info. Let me know when I can do something else. Still working on front flips so don't ask for that just yet.

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Chris9] #179372
05/22/09 09:32 AM
05/22/09 09:32 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
It's the backflips that'll get you.
Thanks for the info. We are steadily pulling it together. So far I've got 35 owners.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #179380
05/22/09 10:13 AM
05/22/09 10:13 AM
Rockledge Cay, FL
Fearless_Rider Offline
journeyman
Fearless_Rider  Offline
journeyman

Rockledge Cay, FL
pm sent Todd

BTW, my BBQ Rocks!
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Fearless_Rider] #179387
05/22/09 11:16 AM
05/22/09 11:16 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Originally Posted by Fearless_Rider
pm sent Todd

Didn't get it.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #179392
05/22/09 11:51 AM
05/22/09 11:51 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
Todd, did you get my PM?

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: RickWhite] #179394
05/22/09 12:10 PM
05/22/09 12:10 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
yep , Mary sent me one for Dave,from your account. He has a 6.0,(he needs an N-20)That's what that was all about. Do y'all need a mirror for Christmas,"handsome Rick"?

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #179652
05/26/09 08:03 AM
05/26/09 08:03 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
bump

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #179686
05/26/09 10:22 AM
05/26/09 10:22 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
how many are you up to so far?

Jay

Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: waterbug_wpb] #179726
05/26/09 02:17 PM
05/26/09 02:17 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.

Isak Dinesen
E. B. White
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #180101
05/28/09 07:15 PM
05/28/09 07:15 PM
Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
TeamChums Offline
veteran
TeamChums  Offline
veteran

Gulf Coast relocated from Cali...
Unlimited events such as long distance
races and demonstration events may make exceptions to these Class Rules
provided that sailors are notified in the Notice of Race.

Trey, Tawd and everyone, why can't we move forward with this loophole for distance racing like Tybee and GT? It really gives us quite a bit of leeway as long as the race organizers are on board with it.

Lee

Keyboard sailors are always faster in all conditions.
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: TeamChums] #180113
05/28/09 09:00 PM
05/28/09 09:00 PM
Charleston, SC
NCSUtrey Offline
old hand
NCSUtrey  Offline
old hand

Charleston, SC
I won't support opening up sails for distance races, it creates nothing but an arms race. I do think that we, as a class, can drive quality, consistency, and some development in the N20 sails through EP, but opening up the sails won't help the class or race.

Trey
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: NCSUtrey] #180121
05/28/09 10:23 PM
05/28/09 10:23 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by NCSUtrey
I won't support opening up sails for distance races, it creates nothing but an arms race. I do think that we, as a class, can drive quality, consistency, and some development in the N20 sails through EP, but opening up the sails won't help the class or race.

After experiencing F18, I'm not sure I agree about the arms race scenario...but I do agree that it would not be to the benefit of the class to open up the sails if nothing else but from the 'perception' of an arms race. So, yes, I agree with Trey.

Jake Kohl
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: TeamChums] #180132
05/29/09 05:56 AM
05/29/09 05:56 AM
Crofton, MD
Chris9 Offline
old hand
Chris9  Offline
old hand

Crofton, MD
I am against the double standards concept. One standard please.

In general terms, I prefer open sail makers with a standard sail plan. I migrated to catamarans from a Thistle and from what I could tell this works really well for them. The people who want to sell sails end up actually sailing in the class and I think this is very good.

In specific terms for the here and now, I like the current approach of lets get the quality improved. I like this because I think we lack the self control to have one standard sail plan with open sail makers at this time. Just looking at myself, it has taken me 5 different classes of boats to find one that fits me and that’s just in the last ten years.

We have 11 N20's in our Fleet, with 3 more in the area, one being simi-active and two inactive. That is probably equates to 22 mains, 25 jibs, and 30 spins. I'm preparing for a sail measurement day, or three days as necessary. Hmmm, this may actually take a while.

What to measure:
Spins: Luff, Leach, Foot, and Mid-girth
Jibe: Luff, Leach, Foot and ?
Main: Luff, Leach, Foot, Square-Top, Luff Curve, Position of Max-Luff Curve, and ?

Anything else?

When you do buy a new sail do you get a tuning guide? No? Why the @#$%!%^! Not? Even Opti sails have a tuning guide associated with them. Lets see while I’m digressing, I just purchased a new jib, hmmm …. No sailmaker stickers….no class stickers….tell tales nope…shape, size, and workmanship does seem okay or at least similar to my last jib.

Btw, the last set of 6.0 sails we purchased the sailmaker brought them to me, helped me rig them, help me with mast tuning, sailed with me before and after the new sails, made a minor adjustment to the luff curve on the main, fine tuned the batten selection . . .

Todd, I think I just witnessed you receiving similar treatment with that LALB you brought up here...

Last edited by Chris9; 05/29/09 06:13 AM.

Chris Allen
Nacra 20 Gertie
www.wrcra.org
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Chris9] #180172
05/29/09 09:08 AM
05/29/09 09:08 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
I'm with Chris.

I don't think a double standard will help our class at all.

A lot of us like to sail in distance and one-design events. A double standard would make us feel like we have to have two sets of sails for the different events. Then you've just doubled my cost in sails.

If it's open for one it should be open for all in my opinion.

Now as for opening up the sails. Unless you are personally willing to come and measure all the sails for distance and National events then I don't think you need to push for opening up the sail plan. I tried to get sails measured for our F18's here at Carlyle. Nobody was interested in taking the time away from the beer truck to measure sails. We don't have the commitment or knowledge in the fleet. Ok so a few people do have the knowledge but they would rather drink beer. Measuring sails is a bit of a pain and if you've never done it then don't say it isn't. It takes time to get it right. Sailmakers make mistakes and then they have to be fixed before the regatta. It's a big pain. We use to do it in the P19's so I have some experience here.

So let's not jump the gun here. Of course anyone is able to buy a set of sails from anyone they want and race open class. I think Mark Smith did this. I haven't heard that his new set is any faster than the stock EP's. The only place that we still sail one-design is at Nationals and Tybee that I know of.

I don't like the idea of an arms race. I don't have a problem with an announced plan for EP to update his sails on a 3 year program of some kind. It would be good for EP and get the sailors an updated sail plan. Of course, EP would have to be willing to work on the cut which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem.

I don't want to show up at a Nationals to find out that there is a new cut someone is "trying out". That would piss me off. I'd probably dump the boat if that crap started happening. Nothing pisses me off more than to work all year to be ready for a Nationals only to find out that you have brought a knife to a gun fight.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Mike Hill] #180173
05/29/09 09:12 AM
05/29/09 09:12 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Mike Hill
I'm with Chris.

I don't think a double standard will help our class at all.

A lot of us like to sail in distance and one-design events. A double standard would make us feel like we have to have two sets of sails for the different events. Then you've just doubled my cost in sails.

If it's open for one it should be open for all in my opinion.

Now as for opening up the sails. Unless you are personally willing to come and measure all the sails for distance and National events then I don't think you need to push for opening up the sail plan. I tried to get sails measured for our F18's here at Carlyle. Nobody was interested in taking the time away from the beer truck to measure sails. We don't have the commitment or knowledge in the fleet. Ok so a few people do have the knowledge but they would rather drink beer. Measuring sails is a bit of a pain and if you've never done it then don't say it isn't. It takes time to get it right. Sailmakers make mistakes and then they have to be fixed before the regatta. It's a big pain. We use to do it in the P19's so I have some experience here.

So let's not jump the gun here. Of course anyone is able to buy a set of sails from anyone they want and race open class. I think Mark Smith did this. I haven't heard that his new set is any faster than the stock EP's. The only place that we still sail one-design is at Nationals and Tybee that I know of.

I don't like the idea of an arms race. I don't have a problem with an announced plan for EP to update his sails on a 3 year program of some kind. It would be good for EP and get the sailors an updated sail plan. Of course, EP would have to be willing to work on the cut which I'm sure wouldn't be a problem.

I don't want to show up at a Nationals to find out that there is a new cut someone is "trying out". That would piss me off. I'd probably dump the boat if that crap started happening. Nothing pisses me off more than to work all year to be ready for a Nationals only to find out that you have brought a knife to a gun fight.

Mike, that's not quite a fair statement about "rather drink beer". I was there and after I walked the two guys (who had never measured a sail) through measuring a set of sails, they realized they didn't have the resources needed to measure every boat there. It's a very time consuming labor intensive process that is regularly underestimated and you can't expect someone to start measuring at a 40 or 50 boat event without significant planning, prior training, space allocation, and tools (including a computer).

Measuring sails (and I mean REALLY measuring them like you have to do with F18 - not just laying them over a template) is a very time consuming process. With some light assistance, it takes me about an hour to do an F18 main, jib, and spinnaker (I could probably work it down to 30 minutes with some practice and a trained assistant...I could probably get it under 20 minutes per set with some jigs and fixtures and several spare hands). Multiply that by 50 boats and you're talking about quite an undertaking.

Jake Kohl
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Jake] #180174
05/29/09 09:20 AM
05/29/09 09:20 AM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD

Measuring sails (and I mean REALLY measuring them like you have to do with F18 - not just laying them over a template) is a very time consuming process. With some light assistance, it takes me about an hour to do an F18 main, jib, and spinnaker (I could probably work it down to 30 minutes with some practice and a trained assistant).

Yes but they do compensate you for your time. probably about 70 bucks for the set of sails... And... any sailmaker who did not build the sail can get approved by the class and measure your sail well ahead of the regatta.

So... what's better... Sails that are measured or a faith based system that the says... trust us... they are all the same.

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Mark Schneider] #180175
05/29/09 09:21 AM
05/29/09 09:21 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider

Measuring sails (and I mean REALLY measuring them like you have to do with F18 - not just laying them over a template) is a very time consuming process. With some light assistance, it takes me about an hour to do an F18 main, jib, and spinnaker (I could probably work it down to 30 minutes with some practice and a trained assistant).

Yes but they do compensate you for your time. probably about 70 bucks for the set of sails... And... any sailmaker who did not build the sail can get approved by the class and measure your sail well ahead of the regatta.

So... what's better... Sails that are measured or a faith based system that the says... trust us... they are all the same.

Not at the event they don't (didn't).

Jake Kohl
Re: Nacra 20 owners only!!!!!!!!! [Re: Mark Schneider] #180180
05/29/09 09:41 AM
05/29/09 09:41 AM
St. Louis, MO,
Mike Hill Offline
old hand
Mike Hill  Offline
old hand

St. Louis, MO,
Originally Posted by Mark Schneider
Yes but they do compensate you for your time. probably about 70 bucks for the set of sails

Now you've just added $70 bucks to my sail. Am I saving money yet????

Jake, I was in no means trying to call you out at all. I know you would have worked to do this if I would have worked to help make it happen. Calling you out was not my point at all. My point is that you have to have people willing to really work on this. I don't think we have that in our N20 fleet. I haven't seen it happen yet in the F18 fleet either (I could be wrong I haven't been to the last couple of F18 Nationals). My point was it's a lot of work which you helped me make with your post.

Mike Hill
N20 #1005
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 740 guests, and 167 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022