09/18/14 09:53 AM
09/18/14 09:53 AM
Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
catman Offline
Pooh-Bah
catman  Offline
Pooh-Bah

Florida Suncoast, Dunedin Caus...
To dipping and backing, I haven't read the rules in some time but I thought you could not be on the course side of the starting line with one minute to go in the starting sequence.

Have Fun
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: Isotope235] #275478
09/18/14 09:56 AM
09/18/14 09:56 AM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

There are no easy solutions to the barging buoy. I often don't use one unless the boat owner requests it (which is pretty often). The currents here are vicious, placing the boat in weird directions at times (think 90 degrees to the wind, or stern upwind). Sometimes the current affects the boat differently than the buoy.

As for the Z flag, my experience is that no one knows what it means, so everyone ignores it. YMMV...

Mike

Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: brucat] #275479
09/18/14 10:56 AM
09/18/14 10:56 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by brucat
As for the Z flag, my experience is that no one knows what it means, so everyone ignores it. YMMV...

Mike

It's only ignored until they check their scores at the end of the day. If the competitors won't take the time to understand how the game is played then they have to learn the rules the hard way. Far better to learn the lesson at a weekend regatta rather than a week long championship. Because the Z flag is initially ignored is not a reason to keep it rolled up on the deck in my opinion.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242
http://www.solarwind.solar

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
"You don't have to be a brain surgeon to be a complete idiot, but it helps"
Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: David Ingram] #275480
09/18/14 11:11 AM
09/18/14 11:11 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
back to the barging buoy... can you use a fishing pole tied off the stern of the startng boat, with maybe a crab trap float hanging down (but off the water a bit)? Or a fishing weight with a streamer for visibility?

That would probably keep the buoy fixed behind the boat, and wouldn't cause too much damage if someone bumped/scraped it?

Jay

Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: catman] #275481
09/18/14 11:15 AM
09/18/14 11:15 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by catman
To dipping and backing, I haven't read the rules in some time but I thought you could not be on the course side of the starting line with one minute to go in the starting sequence.

I Flag - The Round-an-End Rule 30.1 will be in effect. If a boat is over the line during the minute before the start then they must sail to the pre-start side of the line around either end before starting.

Z Flag - The 20% Penalty Rule 30.2 will be in effect. If a boat is in the triangle formed by the ends of the line and the first mark during the minute before the start it will receive a 20% scoring penalty. (20% of the number entered or as dictated by the sailing instructions)

Black Flag - The Black Flag Rule 30.3 will be in effect. If boat is in the triangle formed by the ends of the line and the first mark during the minute before its start it will be disqualified

Unless one of those flags are up there is no one minute rule active. Five second google search by the way. If you don't have a rule book... same search for the flags gives you a link to the rule book.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

"Excuses are the tools of the weak and incompetent" - Two sista's I overheard in the hall
Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: waterbug_wpb] #275482
09/18/14 11:26 AM
09/18/14 11:26 AM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA
Originally Posted by waterbug_wpb
back to the barging buoy... can you use a fishing pole tied off the stern of the startng boat, with maybe a crab trap float hanging down (but off the water a bit)? Or a fishing weight with a streamer for visibility?

That would probably keep the buoy fixed behind the boat, and wouldn't cause too much damage if someone bumped/scraped it?

Way over thinking this. If you want the boat you better have the boat handling skills that come with getting the boat. The barging buoy is touchable without penalty and if you mount the buoy in the process then maybe your skillset isn't ready for a boat end start. You know that is exactly what your fellow competitors that witness your brilliance are thinking.

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: David Ingram] #275483
09/18/14 12:02 PM
09/18/14 12:02 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Originally Posted by David Ingram

Way over thinking this. If you want the boat you better have the boat handling skills that come with getting the boat. The barging buoy is touchable without penalty and if you mount the buoy in the process then maybe your skillset isn't ready for a boat end start. You know that is exactly what your fellow competitors that witness your brilliance are thinking.

Heeeyyyy, there was a lot of current in Blackwater Sound that year.

Jake Kohl
Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: Jake] #275485
09/18/14 12:07 PM
09/18/14 12:07 PM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
It was in reply to the earlier comment about the barging buoy moving all over the place behind the committee boat during an Opti regatta.

But yeah, I've humped a barging buoy or two in my time. The snickering from the leeward boats is still seared into my memory...

Jay

Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: Isotope235] #275494
09/18/14 03:33 PM
09/18/14 03:33 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

If all they did was snicker, you got off way too easy! I'm not talking about protests, either...

Ding, by default RRS, you can't touch the barging buoy without penalty since the definition of mark was changed a few years ago. The SIs have to be carefully written to make that the case.

I agree with your comment about over thinking the gadget-fix approach.

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 09/18/14 03:35 PM.
Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: brucat] #275496
09/18/14 03:44 PM
09/18/14 03:44 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
If all they did was snicker, you got off way too easy! I'm not talking about protests, either...

Ding, by default RRS, you can't touch the barging buoy without penalty since the definition of mark was changed a few years ago. The SIs have to be carefully written to make that the case.

I agree with your comment about over thinking the gadget-fix approach.

Mike

This was about 5 or so years ago - and the SI's made the barging buoy neither obstacle nor mark nor extension of the committee boat...you could make sweet love to it for all the rules cared....but, straddling it (and the rode) wasn't a smart strategy for speed.

Jake Kohl
Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: Isotope235] #275498
09/18/14 03:55 PM
09/18/14 03:55 PM
B
brucat Offline
Carpal Tunnel
brucat  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
B

Right... that's what I was saying earlier in the thread. Most of us remember the old rule, and many think it still applies. Worse, lots of RCs recycle SIs and have language that would not hold up in the room.

It is amusing to watch someone get hung up on a barging buoy to the point that they threaten to stab it. Actually, that's much more amusing if you're racing than if it's your RC boat...

Mike

Last edited by brucat; 09/18/14 04:03 PM.
Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: brucat] #275502
09/18/14 05:53 PM
09/18/14 05:53 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Right... that's what I was saying earlier in the thread. Most of us remember the old rule, and many think it still applies. Worse, lots of RCs recycle SIs and have language that would not hold up in the room.

It is amusing to watch someone get hung up on a barging buoy to the point that they threaten to stab it. Actually, that's much more amusing if you're racing than if it's your RC boat...

Mike

Or your buoy.

Jake Kohl
Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: Jake] #275513
09/19/14 11:28 AM
09/19/14 11:28 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Dude, it was probably you (Jake) that shouted I should play some Barry White music while we were tangled up in the barging buoy (talk about some sweet love)... Sounded kind of like a fat guy fighting with a balloon

I don't know if I heard the end of it from my crew that Ding's scared of.

Worse, they used that nasty yellow ski-rope that floats so it was all hung up in the rudder casting.

my darkest fear is that someone, somewhere, may have a picture of that...

Jay

Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: waterbug_wpb] #275516
09/19/14 12:32 PM
09/19/14 12:32 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
Dude, it was probably you (Jake) that shouted I should play some Barry White music while we were tangled up in the barging buoy (talk about some sweet love)... Sounded kind of like a fat guy fighting with a balloon

Worse, they used that nasty yellow ski-rope that floats so it was all hung up in the rudder casting.

my darkest fear is that someone, somewhere, may have a picture of that...

It twas. I was sailing with the fabulous squirrel. And, there is a picture...somewhere.

Jake Kohl
Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: waterbug_wpb] #275522
09/19/14 03:56 PM
09/19/14 03:56 PM
Clermont, FL, USA
David Ingram Offline
Carpal Tunnel
David Ingram  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Clermont, FL, USA

If you had any sense you would have been afraid of her too! Seriously when you guys split up how many of your friends said "Dude, sorry you guys were good together". Oh and if they did say that they were f!@king lying! Hey I get it shagging crazy is all kinds of fun but you gotta get the f!@k out before she stabs you in the heart with a pair of scissors! I'm just glad you're still with us even if you are a trimaran sailor.

Still a great Macho Man story, every time I remember it I look at Kathy and say... baby I'm so glad you picked me!

David Ingram
F18 USA 242

Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: David Ingram] #275555
09/22/14 08:10 AM
09/22/14 08:10 AM
Naples, FL
waterbug_wpb Offline
Carpal Tunnel
waterbug_wpb  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Naples, FL
Everyone has to try a bat-sh&t crazy date once....once. Karl the first has a few.

But, I do have an unusual tendency to turn almost anyone into bat-sh&t crazy. Is it me???

PS - and don't think of it as a trimaran. Think of it as a "Cat with a cane" for us old dudes.

Last edited by waterbug_wpb; 09/22/14 08:13 AM.

Jay

Re: Racing Rules: "Barging" [Re: brucat] #275559
09/22/14 09:17 AM
09/22/14 09:17 AM
Hillsborough, NC USA
I
Isotope235 Offline OP
old hand
Isotope235  Offline OP
old hand
I

Hillsborough, NC USA
There are no easy solutions to the barging buoy.

I was at the Outback Cup this past weekend and looked at the Columbia Sailing Club signal barge. They have a very simple and effective barging buoy mounted on the transom. I didn't take a picture, but I'll try to describe it.

It's basically just two pieces of PVC pipe tied to the transom to form a tall isosceles triangle. A small hippity-hop is tied to the vertex. A third line (also attached to the vertex) allows the structure to be raised (for storage) or lowered so that it sticks straight out behind the barge.

Now, Lake Murray doesn't get much current, so the barge wouldn't tend to lay perpendicular to the wind, but such a fixture could be rigged to stick out from a signal boat in pretty much any direction, provided you have tie-points.

I hope that helps,
Eric

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 657 guests, and 140 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022