Marine LED bulbs and fittings for boats. Best Prices & Free Worldwide Shipping.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#5982 - 04/06/02 05:18 PM Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat
Anonymous
Unregistered

My sail # is 30252 and I know that it's at least from 1985.

#5983 - 04/07/02 10:13 AM Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe I can give you a little help.

My first H16 was a 1977 and had a sail number of 25345.
My bros' 1981 was 66205.
The current 1984 is 86949.

Why not make up a serial number. Buy or borrow an engraving tool and engrave the serial number on both transoms.

#5984 - 04/08/02 04:05 AM How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I looked at the sails and the number is 12100. Based on the numbers the other guys gave, I would say that puts it in the early '70s. Can anybody help me narrow it down?

So, maybe I should be looking more closely at the front pylon. Where exactly should I be looking on the front pylon? The metal, the fiberglass deck or hull, is there a metal plate?

It also has the old style mast head - does anyone know what year it changed?

#5985 - 04/08/02 04:07 AM Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat [Re: CMerrell]
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is no decal gum for registration. Based on the sail number, it might be early 70's. When you say stamped into the front pylon, where exactly? Into the metal? ...or into the fairing?

It has the older style masthead.

Thanks,
TGR

#5986 - 04/08/02 03:06 PM Re: How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change?
jmhoying Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Fort Loramie, Ohio
My 1976 H16 had sail #18731. If it was mine, I would find out the basic format for the serial number and then make one up.
Jack

Attachments
5944-Hobiephoto-s.jpg (226 downloads)

#5987 - 04/08/02 11:52 PM Re: How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change? [Re: jmhoying]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I called Hobie today. I asked if they could give me an idea of the age of boat based on the sail number. She told me 'no.' So then I asked if they were issued sequentially or at random, she said 'yea, uh-huh," to random.

She knew even less about cats than I do (she didn't know what a pylon, stern, or transom was 'back part of the boat'). So, that doesn't seem to be real useful.

I could have asked about the masthead change, but I doubt she would know.

Thanks,
TGR

#5988 - 04/09/02 03:02 AM Re: How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change?
PSAILOR Offline

Just a thought on the serial no problem you are having...

Could you find an un-regestered older boat, such as a damaged boat or abandoned boat from an area that does not require registration and "borrow" the number. A reader may be able to provide a number off of a damaged hull, ect that is not registered and you could engrave that onto you boat, then say it was brought into the state from one without a registration requirement and see if a title can be made.

#5989 - 04/09/02 06:08 AM Re: Locating serial number on H16 / age of boat
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Tex,

My H16 is a 1972 Coast Cat. The 4 digit serial # is stamped on both front aluminum pylons and are readable from the sides.

Hope this helps

Tom

#5990 - 04/09/02 02:18 PM Re: How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change?
Keith Offline
veteran

Loc: Annapolis,MD
Hobie sail numbers are not assigned to the boat like other one-design classes. For instance, in Flying Scots you register with the class association and are then assigned a sail number. Whenever you get sails you're supposed to use your class assigned number. Lots of one-design classes work this way. Hobie sail numbers are sequential, but apparently sequential in the sail making process only. You might be able to figure out what year your sail was made (if you're lucky) but that will only mean anything about the boat if you are certain it is the original sail, or if the sail was replaced by someone who requested the original sail number be put on it. For instance, when I bought my '79 Hobie-18 in about '93 (man, I need a new boat!) it had a sail number of 14863, on newish sails. I'm pretty darn sure that was not the original number for an 18 that old. I recently bought a new sail from Hobie for it, wasn't even asked about sail # preference (I was figuring I'd be putting the numbers on) and it came through nicely numbered 16744. My guess is that whenever they make a main they just put the next number on it and ship it. One item: The sail is very nice, well made, and has enabled me to kick some butt in the local Fleet - if you're feeling sluggish, try new rags from Hobie.

So here's another serial number and year of manufacture thing - if you see an "R" after the number, it means that you have a replacement hull. Both of my hulls have "R" on them, so even though the number indicates it's a 1979, I have no real idea as to when the hulls were actually built or why they were replaced! I've always figured I could call Hobie and get some answers, but it sounds like that might not be the case if they don't know which end of a boat is which!

#5991 - 04/15/02 12:44 PM Re: How old is sail # 12100 / year of masthead change?
CMerrell Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Virginia USA
I would guesstimate sail number 12100 in the '72, '73, '74 range.

The masthead changed to the 2 sheave design in the mid-'80s.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  forumsadmin