Hall of Famer - Randy Smyth
Randy Smyth is well known to the
sailing crowd. He's graced the cover of no less than five sailing magazines. As skipper for Kevin Cosner in Water World, and Pierce Brosnen in The Thomas Crown Affair, Randy's unique sailing
expertise is in hot demand. Randy is sought by Olympic teams for his world renown skills as technical coach.
Winning the America's Cup in 1988, Randy's contributions included teaching Dennis Conner the fine points of sailing
catamarans. Randy's world dominance in multihull sailing has been a function of his lifelong focus on excellence.
From the Olympics to World Championships to Grand Prix Circuits in Europe to 1000-mile Beach Catamaran Races,
he's won race after race after race.
RANDY'S RACE SUMMARY INCLUDES:
ONE DESIGN MULTIHULL CHAMPIONSHIPS
- 55 National, Continental and World Championship wins.
PRO SAIL 40
- '88. '89 & '90 Overall champion - U.S. Professional Circuit
- '88 Winner - 60'-0" Catamaran, Stars & Strips - Crew & Design Team
ALTER CUP - NORTH AMERICAN CATAMARAN CHAMPIONSHIP
- '90, '93, '95, '98, '99 Winner
- '86 European Professional Circuit Champion
TORNADO - THE OLYMPIC CATAMARAN
- Olympic Silver Medalist - 1984 and 1992
- World Champion - 1981 and 1982
- 9-Time United States National Champion
- 5-Time North American Champion
- European Champion
OPEN OCEAN MARATHON EVENTS
- Worrel 1000 - Fort Lauderdale to Virginia Beach
- '85, '89, '97, '98, '99 Overall Victories
- Holds Course Record of 75 Hours
- Tahiti Mondial Cat Challenge - French Polynesia
- '90 Winner and Record Holder
- Rota Dos Estuarios E Rias - Spain, Portugal
- '93, '94 and '96 Winner - Prindle 19, Hobie 20, Formula 18
- AMERICAN AMATEUR ATHLETE OF THE YEAR 1981
- by the u.s. Olympic Committee
- SAILOR OF THE YEAR 1981
- by the U.S. Sailing Association
- CHAMPION OF THE WORLD 1982
- L'Equipe Coupe du Monde de Volie Trophee
- ROLEX YACHTSMAN OF THE YEAR 1982
- First multihull sailor to ever receive the award.
- OLYMPIA AWARD 1982
- By the Southland Corporation (the first time awarded in Yachting).
- ANDY GRAM AWARD 1983
- By the Southern California Yachting Association (only awarded once before).
- YACHTSMAN OF THE YEAR 1983-1984
- By the Bahia Corinthian Yacht Club
In addition to his sailing and racing, he currently has a sailmaking business,
The Smyth Team Sails, which he operates at his home port in Fort Walton Beach, Florida.
The Randy Smyth Team
P.O. Box 2060, Key Largo, FL 33037
TEL 305-451-3287 FAX 30-453-0255
to Catamaran Sailor Site Index
to the Hall of Fame Page