Seems this forum has turned into largely a Blade forum these days, and that is fine, but there still are a few of us Taipan sailors around and many of us race as F16's. Apparently the Taipan 4.9 class (in Australia at least, which essentially is the class) has voted to adopt a new square top mainsail. I don't have the exact dimensions right now but just eyeballing it I would say it is very similar to the current Blade main. The issue is this-
For those of us with Taipan 4.9's if we "upgrade" to what is now a "class legal" mainsail but do NOT "upgrade" to a new, self-tacker jib what will be our status sailing as an F16?? For point of reference the current class legal jib is too large to technically fit the F16 rules, BUT if one is using a "class legal" 4.9 mainsail the jib is allowed (since the original main is smaller than the maximum I believe and definitely has a small squarehead). For me, since I largely sail uni anyway probably won't make a difference most of the time but for those rare occasions when I do bring crew will I have to use my "old style" mains or can I use a "new" style main with my original (and still class legal) jib??

Discussion??

Kirt

I agree with Wout for the most. Just go sailing and enjoy! If it ever becomes an issue the class can address it at that time.

You'll be glad to know Taipans outnumbered Blades at GYC yesterday.