I owned and sailed/raced Prindle 16 and Prindle 18 for quite a few years.

The Prindle 18 is actually quite a performer, but I really like the Prindle 16. Mostly because it is lighter and more suited to taking it out alone. VMG is largely right the Prindle 18 has about the same sail area as the Hobie 16 and only weights about 25-30 lbs more. The P18 however outperforms the Hobie 16 without question. I put it down to the hullshape of the Prindle, it is just significantly better then that of the H16.

I've sailed several years on the Hobie 16 as a cat sailing instructor and while you can put 3 adults on the H16 it will feel crowded and you can flip over backwards during a tack. The latter because of lack of bouyancy in the sterns and because you are often in the back trying to keep the bows out. A few times we I also used my own Prindle 16 for these sailing lessons when the sailing school didn't have enough boats (I made some extra money that way) and you could really that tell the P16 hulls handled 3 adults noticeably better. You felt less cramped up on the "rail" and you could move your weight about without fearing to capsize over forwards or backwards.

The Prindle 16 has about 2.0 sq. mtr (22 sq. ft.) less sailarea fitted then the H16. The fact that it still is roughly an equal performer to the H16 says alot about the P16 hullshape in my opinion.

But what I really wanted to write about is this.

Having done lots of hard sailing on the prindles and associated repairs I can tell that spare parts are not really an issue except for the rudder system. Lots of Hobie 16 parts can be used on the Prindle 16. My advice when buying a Prindle 16 is to try to talk the price down because it is no longer an actively sailed boat and then sail as long as the rudders crap out on you. Then removed the rudders and fit a new set bought of Nacra (the best option) or buy Dotans. You could even retor fit Hobie rudder to the P16 sterns. From then onwards you can get many more years out of the Prindle without much issues at all.

Wouter

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands