I don't belief that anybody can judge a boat after one time sailing. You need some hours to learn how to trim.

I've sailed and raced the FX-one in both setups for close to 75 hours in total and I've spend 2 days tuning and triming so it it felt well balanced (as it had been setup by a H16 sailor before). In fact, I've almost dedicated a total of 4 weeks of sailing in all kinds of conditions over a 18 month time span.

I think that I'm entitled to my honest appraisal.

It isn't like I jumped on it for 5 min and proclaimed that I had sassed it out. I gave it lots of time to proof itself as I was looking to buy one. In the end I just could not bring myself to do so and co-founded the F16 class.

I agree with the others. It has too much volume for 1-up sailing, bows almost always ride out of the water and are doing nothing for you. The mast is very stiff and the daggerboards are too long, this makes for a flighty boat in gusty conditions with only an insufficient 8:1 downhaul that can't really bend the mast enough. It is actually a noticeably better boat when sailed 2-up at about 120-150 kg. And at 85 kg I could not right her unaided (by rescue boat or special righting aids) while I can right my own F16 in all conditions from very light winds to harsh conditions. When comparing dive resistance / recovery then the FX-one wasn't much better then the F16's I've sailed (for less hours then I did the FX-one). The Stealth F16 was by far the best boat in this respect.

And I really don't think that stating ones truly honest evaluation can be marked as bashing. Or am I also bashing the stove when I tell my nephew that placing ones hand in the fire hurts ?

Now again, thew FX-one is not a bad boat in its own right but in comparison to a well designed F16 it is easy to tell where its design can be improved.

Wouter

Last edited by Wouter; 06/05/09 02:01 PM.

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands