Originally Posted by WindyHillF20
Racing doesn't make you a better sailor, it makes you more aware of the rules. Racing points out what you may do wrong but I can't see why you think it makes you a better sailor. Training and experience make you a better sailor. Turning cans is all about ego, who can do it faster. Thats all any kind of racing is about, whos faster. I race mtn bikes downhill and dual slalom and I can assure that the best, most technical racers rarely win. Its the ones that let it all hang out that can go the fastest, usually out of control.

The best days on a cat have nothing to do with racing!

My experience is the best sailors are the fastest. Being a wild man/woman and pushing the edge without all the skills of reading wind/water, tuning your boat, good strategy and tactics and flawless boat handling normally results in lots of entertainment for spectators and a lot of swimming for the individuals concerned.

For many of us the best days on a cat have a lot to do with racing - the great combination of being at one with the wind and waves, the team work on the boat, friendly but serious competition with others and the cameraderie before and after the race.

Dave Ingram is my president. tcdyc rules