RE Eric's acceptance of the term hunting.

No... I see people take 16.2 and say... well, I was keeping clear.... er.... I had not changed course but was going to cross clear ahead... when starboard footed off and hunted me and I was forced to foul him. He did not give me room and opportunity to stay clear.

or... I footed off to clear starboard but they also footed to hunt me... and I fouled starbord because of their actions.

They think that 16..2 means the ROW boat is restricted from sailing puffs, headers and lifts or changing gears from point mode to foot mode going into a cross...People who throw the hunting charge believe that starboard is somehow constrained to simply going straight as the cross approaches. With this interpretation of 16.2, port does not give starboard enough room.

Perry's guidance that a 16.2 violation should not be subtle.... Port needs evidence that port changed course to duck and starboard changed course and changed course again solely to get them.

So I take 16.2 as a limit on Starboard actions... Not something that Port should be thinking about in a cross. Port should either be clear ahead and crossing... or clearly ducking and keeping clear.

What am I missing?

Last edited by Mark Schneider; 11/13/09 10:44 PM.

crac.sailregattas.com