Originally Posted by TIMMY!!
But getting back on topic, why are we sailors so old, or put another way, why are there not too many younger sailors?

Holy Jeebus you guys make this complicated....

15-20 Can't afford it.
20-25 Might be able to afford it, but a dollar spent on anything other than chasing tail or drinking is money poorly spent.
25-30 Probably could afford it, but since some hag forced him to marry her, pile on a mortgage, breed, and ruin his life, its just not in the cards right now.
30-35 Reference 25-30
35-40 He's learned to deal with the cloven hoofed devil, the kids are off busy sticky forks into light sockets, he's got some time.
40-45 Satan incarnate isn't an issue anymore, kids are only an issue every other weekend
45-50 Kids are adults, and don't really give a crap about their first daddy. Plenty of time on his hands.
50-55 If he ain't into it yet, chances are he won't be.

etcetera.

This is still a pretty cheap sport, even if you take it semi-seriously, its still cheap. But, you're still going to drop $20k on a boat and trailer, and you still gotta get it somewhere to race. By the end of the season I'm glad it is over with. I'm flat out tired of driving everywhere in the midwest, and setting up and tearing down.

I'm boatless.