Originally Posted by wildtsail
I've had my Tacktick Micro for 6 years with no issues. Given, I don't use it a lot of the time.
I don't think the units with GPS being disabled are considered legal since they have the software to be able to do GPS. Therefore the Micro really is the only way to go.
I remember when the micro was only $250 about 8 years ago, unfortunately I put that one on the roof of my car and drove away, Do'h!

Tack-Ticks are overpriced relative to virtually equivalent but lots cheaper satellite based nav sets. I personally think GPS units should be reviewed and an approved list assembled, specifying legality based on review of the product. A guy watching speed and angles using a speed puck has not the same type of advantage read-out as the guy with the RayTech RNS 6.2 Navigator...

Additionally the way the dumb rule reads, a cell phone is not legal, either, as everyone of them has a GPS for emergency 911 (a good thing to have). Add a smartphone with a racing/tactical app, and the rule makes the World Council look like they really don't know what they are doing.

BTW, I have your shrouds, and thanks!

Last edited by rexdenton; 05/22/12 01:38 PM.

Nacra F18 #856