Two Replies

To Mike Dobbs

The easiest method I have found for this is to start with a tapered section of carbon wind surfer mast. Find one whose small end is smaller than you need and whose big end is bigger than you need. That way you should be able to cut what you need. Check the local shops, half a mast is normally real cheap from the scrap bin. I would cut a section too small and build it up with Carbon Epoxy. If you are serious let me know and I will tell you how to wrap it.

2nd reply

Hobie 18 Spin Pole

That is not new. It is about the same age as the Hobie 18 design. In fact I have a near identical NACRA 6.0 pole I will sell you cheap (you have to live close to Houston, shipping is $$$$).

It doesn't really let you sail higher or lower. It lets you pinch or luff(?, sail too deep) better.

It is best for distance races. It is great when the desired course is right on the ragged edge of being too high or low. Under those condition you can kill your competition.

Under normal conditions, it is extra weight and windage on the nose of the boat.

The pelican striker is needed, for strength. To make the system work, you have to run it under a bow foil or beam. When you do that it is like breaking something by putting your knee in the middle and pulling on one end.