Greg,

I will try to explain without the aid of pictures.

The reason, of course, that the side stays don't provide side to side support on the way up is that their connection point is aft of the hinge point (the mast step) and they don't do their job until the mast is nearly vertical. By taking the ends of the trap wires and tying them off to the front crossbar, it places them inline with the hinge point and an equal partner on the way up giving the mast no room to sway side to side.

I happen to have camcleats on the outboard ends of my front crossbar that make it really easy to take a loop of small rope through the dogbone and down to the cleat giving me a nice cinch point. But even without the cleats, tying it off in some way to the outer ends of the front crossbar would give the same support and convert the trap wires into temporary "guy wires".

I am on my way to get mounting bolts for my winch right now. I am just going to mount it on the front mast support nice and high (actually I have a center mast support that I am going to mount a helper pulley on). This in combination with a ladder or crutch under the top of the mast (to keep it off the rudder crossbar and traveler and give it a little help in the first few inches) should make it a snap to raise single handed.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will be trying her out this weekend!

Greg