We have been so conditioned to think bigger is better…but is it really? You know what they say…a boats frequency of use is inversely proportional to its size. In other words, the smaller it is the more it is used. Maybe we should be putting our energy into getting top performance out of the smallest possible package.

Regards,
Seeker

Hi there,

I agree with this to a point. As far as F14, 16 or 18 is the boat for you, it depends a lot on your local and individual conditions.

For me and my area, my crew and I are around 165kg, sail in everything from dead flat drifters to 3m swell + a real ugly chop and 30+ kts and therefore an F18 is the boat for us.

If I had a smaller crew and was sailing on a lake or some area with less chop maybe a F16 would be the go.

On the other hand, if I lost 20kg and were sailing alone (once again on a lake or similar) it would be a difficult decision between the F14 & 16.

I seriously doubt that there would be many differences between the three in number of sailing days per year. Just as a yardstick we have had around 80 sailing days this past 12 months on the Tiger.

Reaper