I did some checking of my pins and shackles etc. and noticed that the shackles I had used for my port and stbd shrouds were too small. The remaining pin was a bit loose and was probably headed the same direction as the failed one. So I replaced with larger shackles.
Season is almost over so I will probably get the Wichard ones this winter. The few bucks is worth the peace of mind, especially in an area that ropes are around and potential for damage is higher. I was lucky that day. If the wind had been stronger, I would be facing the purchase of another boat as it would have been trashed on the rocks.

I checked out the mast while it was down and noticed that I had put some pins on the spreader upside down... They should be pointed (ring) down so if the ring came off it would remain in place. An aircraft mechanic friend of mine once told me that bolts or pins should be down, back or in.

On my H14 I use AN steel bolts with ESNs. There is some minor corrosion after 6 years, however I will replace with SS and ESNs. I also noted that the hound plate hole on my H14 is elongated so I will replace. Thanks jake.

Oh... and I also taped up all the rest of the rings and pins and put Locktite on the shackles.

Last edited by Frozen; 09/26/06 08:57 AM.