The drawback to being a sailor in Baton Rouge is there no good body of water in the immediate vicinity, but that is overcome by the numerous places to sail within a few hours drive. The most logical was mentioned by Clayton, go to Lake Pontchartrain at the Pontchartrain Yacht Club. (I believe Jackson Street at Lakeshore Drive). There is a small but nice grassy area to launch. There is also a concrete boat launch, although you have to sail out of the harbor channel (no big deal).

You should also try False River, near New Roads, only a half hour drive from BR. There was once a Baton Rouge Hobie Fleet, and they held a few regattas at False River. Its a different venue from Lake sailing with waves, but is picturesque and great sailing when the wind blows. There are public boat launches there, and the Pelican Yacht Club. My very first sail on a cat was on False River, while a student at LSU. Go Tigers.

A little farther, but still only a little more than an hours drive, is the Gulf Coast, where you can launch in Bay St. Louis or go a little further to Long Beach. The Long Beach Yacht Club has plenty of cats, easy launching, and a bar. The coast area is well worth the drive.

Clayton was also right on with Cypremort Point. It usually has great winds and is easy to launch at. Although I haven't been there in years, I'm sure you still need to bring your mosquito netting!

Last edited by WJJ; 08/24/02 01:03 PM.