05/26/07 05:43 PM
05/26/07 05:43 PM
R
ripcurl869 Offline OP
stranger
ripcurl869  Offline OP
stranger
R

To follow up on my other post: anyone with experience with both boats who can give an idea of differences? Speed, ease of use, single sailor (esp. when righting after a capsize), etc.

Thanks,

James

--Advertisement--
Re: Contrast and Compare: Wave and Hobie 14 [Re: ripcurl869] #108349
05/28/07 07:44 PM
05/28/07 07:44 PM
Utah, USA
AlphaGJohn Offline
stranger
AlphaGJohn  Offline
stranger

Utah, USA
Hey James,

I've sailed both quite a bit. I'll try to add some notes about what to look for on your other thread, but for beginners (or relearners) and kids, I'd vote for the Wave. Here's why (I've defined some terms that are probably familiar to you as you're getting back into it, but for the sake of the newbies like I was such a brief time ago, I've tried to explain some things I heard mentioned and didn't understand at first--please don't feel I'm talking down to you, James):

1. The 14 is a less robust boat. We, unfortunately, hit the docks hard from time to time or scrape on rocks. We don't worry about it too much with the rotomolded Wave; it was always a concern with the fiberglass 14 (which isn't as rugged under such [for us, unavoidable!] abuse). Since the 14 hasn't been made in some time, it's harder (potentially) to get one in good shape and harder to deal with a major problem (such as a stove-in hull) because the supply is limited. If you're into fiberglass repairs, then you might want the 14 over the Wave because you could make a repair to a hull (depending upon the nature of the problem), but the sturdiness of the Wave has been a real worry-saver for us.

2. The 14 is relatively easy to pitch-pole and flips over (in less dramatic fashion) much easier than the Wave. I think we've sailed the Wave a couple more years than we had the 14 now and I've flipped the Wave only twice, but never pitch-poled it (this is the term for driving the bow(s) [in particular, of the leeward hull, but it can be both] down into the water so that the stern flips up over the bows in the process of capsizing). Pitch-poling can be pretty scary. I have a nephew who's not been interested in going out with us again after this happened while he was aboard the 14. And pitch-poling is somewhat more dangerous, it seems to me than going over because you're flying that windward hull just that much too high (there's typically not quite as much force involved and you don't have to fly a hull anyway if you don't want to). In the 3 or 4 years we had the 14, I flipped it many times and pitch-poled hard at least twice. The 14's hulls just do not have the bouyancy of the Wave's hulls. In particular, if you want to have you and the kids aboard, go for the Wave; it's far more tolerant of a wide range of loads. The 14, on the other hand, was really designed for a single person and works best that way. The Wave sails great with one person, but we most frequently sail with 2 or 3 of us (often 2 adults) and we've had as many as 5 on without difficulty.

The Wave's greater bouyancy also makes it much more tolerant of fore-aft weight arrangement. On the 14, you need to be more concerned about hull trim (adjusted by where the sailors' weight is along the length of the hulls). On the Wave, if the bows are down a bit, it still sails all right (and the Wave's bows don't have a shape that makes them nearly so susceptible to diving under as does the shape of the 14's bows).

3. The Wave is easier to right. It comes with a mast float which can make all the difference (although you can get a mast float for a 14 if you get one with a "comp tip" mast). A boat that capsizes and lies with the head of the mast just under the surface is not nearly as hard to deal with as one that "turtles" (goes right over so the hulls are up in the air with the mast pointing straight down into the water. Think of a monohull boat which looks vaguely like a turtle with shell out of the water in this position).

But even if you keep the mast from going all the way down when you capsize, the Wave is still easier to right (although a mast float would help the 14 a lot). My guess is that the greater bouyancy of the Wave's hulls is part of the reason it's easier to pull over when capsized. I wouldn't vouch for the quality of my righting technique with the 14--or even our choice of righting line, but I managed to right it solo only once (we're hampered by sailing in a sallow lake, most frequently, that has a muddy bottom that grabs the top of the mast and won't let go--I never got it up by myself there). I've never needed help righting the Wave--which is important if your fellow sailors are kids that you mostly want to position so that they can get back on easily.

The 14 doesn't have any "standard" righting equipment either so you kind of have to try to guess what you'll need and set it up yourself (no doubt there are people in the right forums here who could advise you). The Wave rights easily with standard equipment (its righting rope is perfectly placed for fore-aft balance and it works very simply). The Wave's righting rope also makes a nice hand-hold for a passenger when you're heeled over or flying a hull).

4. The Wave is easier to sail. To trim the mainsail properly on the 14, you have to mess with the traveler (that is the attachment of the mainsheet tackle to the stern of the boat--the "traveler", which holds the lower pulley of the mainsheet tackle, slides back and forth across the stern cross-bar so you can get the best relative positioning of the stern end of the boom--you have to adjust this, it does not happen automatically). Now, you can ignore the traveler and just leave it in the center, but if you jibe like that, better be careful to keep the weight on the stern or you can pitch-pole.

On the 14, you'll probably need a hiking stick and you'll have to swing that around behind the mainsheet when you tack or jibe. The Wave's somewhat different rudder and tiller arrangement (and fore and aft balance) works quite well without the hiking stick (indeed, it doesn't take one). If you're hoping to teach kids to sail, simpler controls help, IMHO. It's so much simpler to tack or jibe the Wave when you don't have to mess with the traveler (in the case of a jibe) or the hiking stick (in the case of both tacking and jibing). Of course, you could disconnect the hiking stick so that's maybe not a fair thing to include here, but, generally, we didn't find it convenient to sail the 14 without it. One of the reasons a cat' is a fun boat is being able to jibe; why not get a boat that it's easy to teach this technique on?

5. The Wave not only has no traveler, but it also has no boom (the metal spar that is along the bottom edge of the sail on the 14). The advantage the Wave has is that you don't have the danger of being hit by the boom in an unintentional jibe (or even when tacking or jibing on purpose). The batten at the bottom of the Wave's sail can give your ear a real sting if it smacks it and it can hurt wherever it hits if you don't duck it, but it's not in the same league as an aluminum boom--that can potentially injure you. (I once sailed with a guy who said he had the hardest time training his little girls not to stick their heads up and look around for waterbirds when he yelled "Duck!" I would have thought on his H16 that once would teach you much more thoroughly than you'd really need!--same situation on the 14.)

In general, we've been happier with the Wave than the 14. I don't know that the Wave would be as good if hull flying was high on your list of priorities. We certainly haven't noticed that the Wave feels slower than the 14 (and if you want speed, you can get Rick White's cool-sounding hooter and keep up with H16's--at least if you can sail as well as Rick ;-). We've enjoyed the not so hot, but still kind of fun Hobie jib on the Wave. We didn't have a 14 Turbo so I can't compare performance there for you.

One last thing. If you've never sailed the 14, I'd strongly recommend that you find someone who'll let you try theirs before you buy one; if there's any way to try it in both moderate and higher wind, so much the better. If I had it all to do again, I'd definitely go with the Wave from the start.

Happy catting!

John Craig Utah County, Utah '95 Hobie Wave
Re: Contrast and Compare: Wave and Hobie 14 [Re: AlphaGJohn] #108350
05/30/07 09:44 PM
05/30/07 09:44 PM
R
ripcurl869 Offline OP
stranger
ripcurl869  Offline OP
stranger
R

John,

Thank you so much for the detailed response. That makes the decision so much easier - the Wave (to which I was more inclined anyway) wins the battle hands down for me. I was really surprised to hear about the pitch-poling.

I now have a new dilemma in that my wife wants me to look at the Getaway!! Far more money and a goodly amount more boat but it has the capacity and comfort she is looking for (she has a bad back and wants to be able to cruise around in comfort). Still, the Wave might be the place to start but I think I can handle the Getaway - except maybe for righting her (it's a lot of boat to bring back up at my weight of 200# and I intend to solo whatever boat I get a lot)??

Again, thank you so much. Any comments on the Getaway would also be much appreciated.

James

Re: Contrast and Compare: Wave and Hobie 14 [Re: ripcurl869] #108351
05/31/07 11:26 PM
05/31/07 11:26 PM
N
Norm Offline
stranger
Norm  Offline
stranger
N

My back ain't so hot and I find that cruising with the Wave with the padded backrest is as comfy as can be. My wife couldn't believe it when I told her it was an option. It pops off easily with quick connects if removal is an issue.

Its fine for your wife to suggest the larger vessel since, with a bad back, she won't be called upon to deal with the extra weight of the Getaway, including the increased difficulty in raising the mast!

I love my Wave.

Re: Contrast and Compare: Wave and Hobie 14 [Re: Norm] #108352
06/04/07 11:43 PM
06/04/07 11:43 PM
R
ripcurl869 Offline OP
stranger
ripcurl869  Offline OP
stranger
R

Norm,

My wife has come about: she now wants a Wave... Thanks for the comments, she found them very amusing!

James

Re: Contrast and Compare: Wave and Hobie 14 [Re: ripcurl869] #108353
06/16/07 02:13 AM
06/16/07 02:13 AM
Bay of Islands, NZ
W
warbird Offline
old hand
warbird  Offline
old hand
W

Bay of Islands, NZ
Wave's tiny. So long as the wife wants to help push it on the beach go Gettaway. Way more fun. Don't skimp, your wife has given you permission to spend the dosh, get wings and just have a bloody good time.

Re: Contrast and Compare: Wave and Hobie 14 [Re: warbird] #108354
06/16/07 07:02 AM
06/16/07 07:02 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Wave is not tiny. It has more deck/trampoline area than a Hobie 16 or a Hobie 18, so it definitely does not feel tiny when you are on it. It's very roomy and comfortable. Mine does not feel crowded even with two adults and four grandchildren on it.

Re: Contrast and Compare: Wave and Hobie 14 [Re: Mary] #108355
06/16/07 07:19 AM
06/16/07 07:19 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
And the Getaway is VERY heavy by comparison, and the mast is much harder to raise and lower, while the Wave is a one-hander.
Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 428 guests, and 75 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022