11/26/02 12:06 PM
11/26/02 12:06 PM
Dallas, Texas
thom Offline
enthusiast
thom  Offline
enthusiast

Dallas, Texas
Last year there was a sail along [basically] in South Padre Island. I believe they called it the Bandit Run. it was run by the Ruff Rider folks. I was going to attend [like I always am until business gets in the way] but this time my crew backed out. I plan to go next year if its on. I don't know who to contact about this but there were alot of folks that expressed they had funnnnnnnnn......

thom

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Promoting Cat Sailing [Re: thom] #13322
11/26/02 01:02 PM
11/26/02 01:02 PM
Fulshear, TX
SGalway Offline
journeyman
SGalway  Offline
journeyman

Fulshear, TX
The Bandit Run (Ruff Riders) was far and away the best non-regatta I have ever attended. The overnight was at a beach that was accessible by 4x4, so that meant gear could be trucked in. The food was absolutely FANTASTIC! The route was up the ditch to Mansfield cut, then the next day offshore back to South Padre. This lets you get a little of everything. As far as I know there was really only one rule, stay within sight of land.

I would suggest that anyone within 1000 miles of South Padre Island next Labor Day weekend make this a MUST DO activity. You can bet our group will be back.

Visit www.ruffrider.net for more information.

Shannon Galway
Fulshear, TX
YoNav! Flying Phantom
www.yonav.net
Re: Promoting Cat Sailing [Re: reidqa] #13323
11/29/02 10:32 AM
11/29/02 10:32 AM
Sydney, Australia
TornadoALIVE Offline
TornadoALIVE  Offline

Sydney, Australia
Hi Mike,

You paint a picture that racers don't know how to have fun.

We have plenty of amatures at our club that just come for a cruise around the bouys and share a drink and tall stories after it. They sail old boats, could not care less about the latest go fast equiptment and are not concurned about going faster but how to enjoy it more.

The racers have also been know to have parties at regattas that will rival any cruiser's. Week long regattas with week long headaches. Girlies on boats, night sails and cruis'n to other places, including to the bottle shop on the other side of the bay to load the tramp up with new supplies.

Clubs can provide the oragnisation, facilities and safty equiptment to have the best time. Club racers also tend to be a lot more experienced than cruisers, which increases the saftey.

There are no rules as to how a club must engage in sailing.

Why not a Cruising Club!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Promoting Cat Sailing [Re: TornadoALIVE] #13324
12/02/02 07:20 AM
12/02/02 07:20 AM
reidqa Offline
journeyman
reidqa  Offline
journeyman

Hi,

No, racers do have fun, I am referring to a different mindset much like the one you posted about people in your area, that cruise (excellent term).

Here in NJ it's the cruisers that have the ball, with informalities. The racing bunch is formal, with club and one-upmanship. The hardbodies can be seen on the tramps, and beach fire party into the late night is the thing to do, once the temps reach into the 80's.

This is why I am restoring a classic than buy a new boat, it's the 60's and 70's all over again.

I will agree with you concerning your countrymen, my conversing with fellow Australians is that you guys got the party down pat.

I live on the beach, and boating sailing to a layman is the following.

1: Buy House
2: Buy Boat
3: Sell Boat, boring or too much money to keep up with everybody.

So us hard-liners tend to be the party folks, once again another mindset.

Yes, a group for the new term "Cat Cruisers" would be applicable.

Mike

Re: Promoting Cat Sailing [Re: SGalway] #13325
12/03/02 01:12 PM
12/03/02 01:12 PM
Austin, TX
spinakerjohn Offline
spinakerjohn  Offline

Austin, TX
I think the 1st Bandit Run got lucky this year. The wind usually blows on the nose at 15 mph going out Mansfield Cut. And don't forget the waves. I had a 5hp on my Stilleto 23 and bearly made it out a couple of years ago. And 30 miles of tacking back to SPI?

I missed RR for the first time in 12 years. Running the ditch to Corpus Christi is usually a reach/run for a day and a half. Hope Scott Kee will reconsider the course. But he lives in Port Isabel and get a lot of support from SPI. Scott has been a big influence on cat sailing in South and Central Texas. He is personally responsible for keeping this great regatta going for a decade and a half. He is Mr. Ruff Rider.

Thom, if you can find the time and crew you should sail down from Corpus to SPI and race back. Eight to ten boats, including F-boats and Stilettos, make the trip the last week in August. Might be racing each other cuz the rest will make a right turn into the wind.

Spinakerjohn

Re: Promoting Cat Sailing [Re: spinakerjohn] #13326
12/03/02 05:32 PM
12/03/02 05:32 PM
Dallas, Texas
thom Offline
enthusiast
thom  Offline
enthusiast

Dallas, Texas
All depends on the nationals in FWB. If I still have the F25c I may try some traveling/sailing. Hows the painting coming along? Its about as miserable as Dallas gets today...

thom

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 426 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022