03/10/08 09:33 AM
03/10/08 09:33 AM
Santiago, Chile
Andinista Offline
enthusiast
Andinista  Offline
enthusiast

Santiago, Chile
The 5.2 has no effective way of keeping the rudders in the up position(at least not with the bungeesystem), so off they go! Its safer for the boards anyway

I took out the bungee and use a unique line to raise and lower each rudder. It's very easy to keep the rudders up with a fast knot. It is the first thing that I do after landing on the beach where I usually sail, to avoid the waves pushing thre rudders. The tube edge has to be protected to avoid cutting the line, electric tape or duct tape works. I use this method only for towing very short distances. For longer distances (if ever) I would tie them up somehow. Before the mentioned modification, I used the same line to tie them in the up position. (facing up, not backwards)

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Trailer - Rudders On or Off? [Re: Andinista] #135223
03/10/08 09:47 AM
03/10/08 09:47 AM
Santiago, Chile
Andinista Offline
enthusiast
Andinista  Offline
enthusiast

Santiago, Chile
This modification caused me a problem: the loop of the rudder line catched the end of the rear beam (hard to imagine, I know, but it happened). The line was too long, I shortened it and solved the problem.

Re: Trailer - Rudders On or Off? [Re: Andinista] #135224
03/10/08 10:39 AM
03/10/08 10:39 AM
Appleton, WI
blockp Offline
blockp  Offline

Appleton, WI
I trailer with them on. I'm only 3 or 4 miles from my launch site, but I usually sail after work. I need to be able to setup quickly and get on the water before the wind dies down at night. That being said, I don't like the risk or them falling or the weight of them bouncing so I built a support for them.

Sorry no pics. The boat is 60 miles from here in storage so I'll try to explain.

I welded a "receiver" to my trailer. Actually a couple 2x4 stake holders for a utility trailer that have 8" or so of flat bar to separate them. It's welded at an angle that if following a straight line from my new 2x4 receiver it intersects with the rudder a few inches from the end of the rudder. I cut a 2x6 to fit in the receiver. Used a dado blade to put a notch in the other end of said 2x6. The rudder rides in this notch and I put a bungee over the rudder to keep the rudder from bouncing off the 2x6.

It's much more secure than either of the other 2 strap systems I've come up with for supporting the rudders. I'm no longer stressed out while driving the few miles of poorly paved roads to the launch. And they're very quick to put on and take off.

I just re-read that description... it's pretty poor so I've attached a paint drawing that's equally as poor as the verbal description. Hopefully between the two of them, you get the idea.

Attached Files
137247-RudderSupport.JPG (47 downloads)
Re: Trailer - Rudders On or Off? [Re: dave mosley] #135225
03/10/08 02:21 PM
03/10/08 02:21 PM
Bay of Islands, NZ
W
warbird Offline
old hand
warbird  Offline
old hand
W

Bay of Islands, NZ
The 5.2 has no effective way of keeping the rudders in the up position(at least not with the bungeesystem), so off they go! Its safer for the boards anyway

For this problem I take the jib sheet and tie a slip knot. I wrap this around a rudder so high it cannot slip down and pull tight to the rear beam, I go across to the mast and tie it down to beam and then to other side of beam and out to rudder.
This keeps the rudders up and the mast down. I then pull a bright flag into each of the knots at the top of the rudders.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 344 guests, and 86 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022