05/03/08 05:46 PM
05/03/08 05:46 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I was going to check out a used Prindle 16, and I keep reading that the rudders are their weak point. Being a complete novice, I don't know that I could tell what shape this boats rudders are in (unless the problem is that they break off!).

Can anyone explain what the problem is and/or what I could look for?

Thanks!

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Prindle 16 bad rudders [Re: ] #141893
05/07/08 09:23 PM
05/07/08 09:23 PM
J
jcasto1 Offline
enthusiast
jcasto1  Offline
enthusiast
J

If you can find a P16 with rudders that are working and compare them to a NACRA rudder system or Hobie, you'll see instantly the weak points of the old Prindle system.
If you're not worried about one-design class rules, and you have access to other parts, you could adopt a Hobie or NACRA rudder system onto a P16, I suppose.
Rudder issues should not keep you from getting a P16 however. It is a fine boat in many aspects.

Jim Casto
NACRA 5.5 & NACRA 5.7
Austin TX
Lake Travis
Re: Prindle 16 bad rudders [Re: ] #141894
05/08/08 06:52 AM
05/08/08 06:52 AM
Long Island, NY
gregP19 Offline
enthusiast
gregP19  Offline
enthusiast

Long Island, NY
It's not the rudders themselves-it's the system for raising and lowering them that needs a little TLC. It's nothing you can't figure out just by looking at them-and it's certainly nothing that should keep you from getting the boat. Spare parts are easy to get. I'll give you details if you send me a PM.

G Gove Blade #728 Long Island, New Yawk
Re: Prindle 16 bad rudders [Re: jcasto1] #141895
05/08/08 07:25 AM
05/08/08 07:25 AM
Atlanta
bvining Offline
veteran
bvining  Offline
veteran

Atlanta
Most rudder systems for beach cats have some weak point, someone needs to design something better.

Here's my criteria for a good rudder system.

1a. Good light feel on the tiller, good rudder profile, able to be adjusted toe in, toe out, forward, aft, etc.
1. Easy to put down quickly, from a seated position in front of the rear beam. No hanging over the transome locking it down.
2. Able to be part way down for shallow water steering.
3. Kick up at speed if you hit something without breaking anything, no breakaway rods, or cams that wear out.
4. Easy to clear weeds from either side at speed. From a typical seated steering position.
5. Easy to pop up once you hit the beach from either the boat or the water.
6. Not be to heavy and have a good rudder profile. (This excludes the Dotan rudders, in my opinion)
7. Able to use whatever rudder shape, so the head allows you to interchange differient cord lengths, longer or shorter, any size. Not something you'd do more than once, but make the head able to take different rudders.
8. Be dependable, not break, not get sand in it. This excludes the Marstrom which is fragile, and the Hobie cam system which wears out, gets sand in it, etc. Basically be simple and bullet proof. Or have easily sourced, commonly available parts, no proprietary cams, etc.

The Bimare system doesnt make the grade it doesnt pop up, and you have to hang over the transome to lock it down, no part way down feature, hard to pop up at the beach, have to jump off before the beach.

Marstrom rudders are nice, but they are fragile.
Dotans are clunky and heavy and the rudder profiles are not great.
Hobie has that cam system (at least the ones I've seen) that wears, or gets sand in it.

The closest I've seen to a meeting my criteria is on the Dart 16. Simple, easy to pop up and down, pretty unbreakable, good feel.

Any of you to that challenge of designing a better system?

Bill

Re: Prindle 16 bad rudders [Re: ] #141896
05/09/08 07:34 AM
05/09/08 07:34 AM
uk
TEAMVMG Offline
veteran
TEAMVMG  Offline
veteran

uk
There is a steel hook that threads into the blade and locks on to a sprung loaded bar in the stock. Over years of use, the hook takes a beating and starts to split/straighten out.
I'm sure that these hooks are available and are easy to replace. If the hook mounting in the blade is damaged, epoxy filler will cure it.
Prindle rudders are pretty straight foward and work really well if you give them a bit of maintainence/lube now and again.

Paul

teamvmg.weebly.com
Re: Prindle 16 bad rudders [Re: bvining] #141897
05/09/08 07:56 AM
05/09/08 07:56 AM
Sebring, Florida.
Timbo Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Timbo  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Sebring, Florida.
I liked the Inter 20 rudder lock down system, very easy to use and durable. If you were to replace the heavy blades with new light carbon blades it would be really nice. I'm not sure how much speed you are going to save with a ligher system if it is not reliable.

I know I've had boats pass me while messing about with my rudders when they popped up unexpectedly and I had to stop sailing to reset them. A strong and reliable system is more important than saving a few ounces, even a pound or two, on the rudderheads I think. But I did miss an entire race when the rubber crossbar connector failed on the Inter 20 system. That is it's weak point and you have to replace them often, and then tape it, or suffer the consequences.

My old Prindle system needs work, new springs I think, or maybe a new cross bolt where the metal hook connects. One always pops up as soon as I get it going fast. I've taken to tieing a knot in the pull-down line to keep it from coming all the way up while blast reaching.

Last edited by Timbo; 05/09/08 08:01 AM.

Blade F16
Re: Prindle 16 bad rudders [Re: Timbo] #141898
05/09/08 08:18 AM
05/09/08 08:18 AM
H
Hullflyer1 Offline
enthusiast
Hullflyer1  Offline
enthusiast
H

The Prindle rudder system works quite well when properly adjusted and maintained. The cam is adjustable and by moving it in or out either makes the rudder harder or easier to kick up. Make sure that the springs are free to move, do not over tighten the nut and bolt that holds them in place. Make sure that the knot at the end of the pull down line is small and will not rub the rudder casting when pulling the rudder down. Make sure that all the rollers and spacers in the system are in good shape and moving freely. I had Prindles for close to 20 years and once the system was adjusted I rarely had a problem.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 474 guests, and 59 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022