01/23/03 08:35 AM
01/23/03 08:35 AM
Columbia South Carolina, USA
dave mosley Offline
veteran
dave mosley  Offline
veteran

Columbia South Carolina, USA
I had a whole series of pix with this and it was a landing, not a takeoff that did this bunch in. They got sideways in a wave flipped, and the rest is history. Notice you dont see any swimmers in this pic. That surf just swallowed them up.
David

The men were amazed, and said, "What kind of a man is this, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?" Matthew 8:27

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: just do it. [Re: dave mosley] #15590
01/23/03 08:55 AM
01/23/03 08:55 AM
Charleston SC
h17windbtch6333 Offline OP
h17windbtch6333  Offline OP

Charleston SC
yeah, re-entry happens right before you land. for the space shuttle it's plowing thru the atmosphere at 11,000 knots, for us it's that narly surf.

Re: worrell 1000 compaign [Re: Kevin Rose] #15591
01/23/03 09:12 AM
01/23/03 09:12 AM
Tampa, FL
dave taylor Offline
dave taylor  Offline

Tampa, FL
i did not mean that anyone can just go out and sail in the worrell. i have a pilot's license, and am completely competent to fly gliders in vfr conditions. i know what to do in the event of a tow rope breaking on tow (happened once at 200 feet). i know how to land the airplane (even in 30 knot crosswinds). i have had the training and am prepared (as best as possible) for what might occur. i do not try to fly in instrument conditions or even take off in cross wind conditions over 12 knots (the wind picked up while i was in the air). when i fly, i bring a radio (to talk to the ground station), cell phone, compass, gps... i do not depend on these items and have indeed had failures of various equipment at different times, but i have them in case something goes wrong. this is what i meant when i stated "if i fall over and never see the boat again, i have an epirb and someone from the coast guard will come and get me". i should have said might or should come and get me. again, we take risks every day. just how big a risk we are willing to take should be based on our training, skill, and preparedness. if you are not prepared and do not have the skill, you shouldn't enter the race. you don't see me entering the race. i'm sure there are things that you (all of you) will do now that you would not attempt at some earlier time in your life because you are prepared for what might occur, but were not prepared before.

Re: worrell 1000 [Re: dacarls] #15592
01/23/03 09:43 AM
01/23/03 09:43 AM
MI
sail6000 Offline
old hand
sail6000  Offline
old hand

MI
Hi Dave

THANKS -again --

-reading thru some of the comments by others ,-
funny how some resent others and provide their negative commentary and adjectives towards those in the race -
thought that was what the old forum was for and those types .--oh well -
there are numerous people like you that have covered all aspects of the race they can ask .
plus 36 teams -72 participants signed up plus gr crews -race staff media etc this year in 03 ,-

Any that have questions can contact us as well ,-always happy to answer any questions about the race or help other teams or future teams in distance races -

oh well ,-it is interesting to read others perspective on it -
Carl

Re: worrell 1000 compaign [Re: dave taylor] #15593
01/23/03 09:46 AM
01/23/03 09:46 AM
Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
Dave,

[color:"green"]> i'm sure there are things that you (all of you) will do now that you would not attempt at some earlier time in your life because you are prepared for what might occur, but were not prepared before[/color]

Funny thing is, for me anyhow, it's been just the opposite. There were a lot of things I did earlier in life out of ignorant bliss, yet somehow managed to survive. I watch my kids pull some hairy stunts on occasion. After trying not to freak out, I'll occasionally sit them down and ask, "Did you ever think of what would happen if "?" happened?" They'll look back and say, "Wow, could that really happen?" Then, you wonder how much sinks in because before you know it you're seeing the same stunt again.

Kevin Rose N6.0na #215 Lake Champlain (New England's "west coast") Burlington, Vermont
Re: worrell 1000 compaign [Re: Kevin Rose] #15594
01/23/03 10:10 AM
01/23/03 10:10 AM
Tampa, FL
dave taylor Offline
dave taylor  Offline

Tampa, FL
kevin,

just like you sit down with your kids when they do something dangerous, and i assume that if you actually saw them preparing for a trip to the hospital, you would stop them, doesn't the race committee take resumes and approve or disapprove sailors that they deem are not prepared for the trip? please do not construe this as me saying that it is the job of the committee to determine each sailor's competence. it is still up to the skipper of the boat.

i sailed in a race from clearwater to key west last year. we sailed through a pretty nasty storm. at the end of the storm, we were all on the boat and had sustained no injuries. we were prepared for the situation and took all precautions we could. there was another boat that didn't fare so well. their mast dropped into their deck about 4 inches. they had switched all of their battery banks on, and had emptied all of the charge in both banks. the radio would not work without batteries (the antenna wire had broken in the semi-dismasting). they could not start their engine, and were 40 miles off of the coast of florida. my point is, if we had known about the weather before we started, we would not have gone on the trip, but we were prepared for bad weather, etc and faired very well. the other boat that had not prepared was not so lucky. they wound up floating for a few hours until a shrimper came by and offered assistance.

people will always do stupid things. we used to have a helmet law in florida. it is no longer in existence. there is something interesting about passing a law to protect a brain that is too stupid to protect itself.

Re: worrell 1000 compaign [Re: dave taylor] #15595
01/23/03 11:27 AM
01/23/03 11:27 AM
Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
Dave,

Hopefully I'm not being misinterpreted in all of this. The point I was getting at was that we need to accept full responsibility for the things we take on and weigh the risks without the expectation that someone is standing by to bail us out. We own both the decision to go, and the outcome.

Of course, there are many things that can happen that may be out of our control. That's the nature of life. For that reason we have the Coast Guard and other SAR units whose mission it is to come to the aid of those in trouble, often at great risk to themselves. They do a great job. My opinion, however, is that the existance of such folks should in no way influence the decision of go vs. no go.

Kevin Rose N6.0na #215 Lake Champlain (New England's "west coast") Burlington, Vermont
Re: worrell 1000 compaign [Re: Kevin Rose] #15596
01/23/03 01:31 PM
01/23/03 01:31 PM
Tampa, FL
dave taylor Offline
dave taylor  Offline

Tampa, FL
i couldn't agree more.

Re: definition of "prepared" [Re: dave taylor] #15597
01/23/03 01:49 PM
01/23/03 01:49 PM
samevans Offline
enthusiast
samevans  Offline
enthusiast

I take issue with your use of the term "prepared".
You stated that "if we had known about the weather before we started, we would not have gone on the trip".
How can you call yourself "prepared", if you hadn't checked the weather?
Checking the weather is the MOST important item when sailing off-shore, because if conditions exceed the maximum capabilities of you or your boat, you die. Then we have to put up with another "shark-bite" lawsuit.
You CANNOT pack enough stuff or "be prepared" to survive everything.

The is a great deal of evidence that helmets contribute to accidents and the severity of the injuries, specifically spinal cord damage.
Allowing riders the choice of being able to see and hear better, thus avoiding accidents is simply freedom of choice.

My favorite Worrell pic... [Re: dave mosley] #15598
01/23/03 01:58 PM
01/23/03 01:58 PM
Long Beach, California
John Williams Offline
Carpal Tunnel
John Williams  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Long Beach, California
Don't think I'm being mean - Will and Jim are both friends of mine... This pic just really captures for me that "Oh crap..." feeling that you can get, even when everything has gone well for the whole leg. Until...

John

Attached Files
15699-uhoh.jpg (79 downloads)

John Williams

- The harder you practice, the luckier you get -
Gary Player, pro golfer

After watching Lionel Messi play, I realize I need to sail harder.
Re: worrell 1000 compaign [Re: h17windbtch6333] #15599
01/23/03 03:45 PM
01/23/03 03:45 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
I'd say If you really have a burning desire to do the race for the right reasons then go for it.It is not an elitist group(or wasn't in the past).It's a group of some of the best people your gonna meet anywhere. That was a big reason I did it 4 times. Finishing is the number one goal for everyone, the farther up the better. If your wondering if Mike would accept your resume, call him and ask him,the sooner the better. He's very approachable and helpful. As far as owning a boat or not, it is certainly a huge benefit.You obviously can figure out a lot more ahead of time, and every second DOES count.Look at going into the last leg this year. Safety is just an issue of using your head and not going over your limits. The worst scenarios I've personally been through were Jensen and the 97? Steeplechase. Yeah they were hairy and few others came close but if your real worried about doing anything dangerous you'd pretty much lead a real boring life.Those are the things you remember.
If you've got any questions shoot me an E-mail at Todd@teamcatfever.com
Todd A. Hart
p.s. Oh yeah, it's expensive ,no way around it.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: definition of "prepared" [Re: samevans] #15600
01/23/03 06:19 PM
01/23/03 06:19 PM
Tampa, FL
dave taylor Offline
dave taylor  Offline

Tampa, FL
we checked the weather before we started the race and the front was supposed to move through before we hit it. unfortunately, it took a day and a half to reach where the front was at the time of the weather report and it had stalled. i was not concerned that we would have problems in the storm. it was more of an issue of comfort. the boat was completely seaworthy and we were never concerned about losing the boat. we were prepared for what we ran into. we had even replaced the rigging prior to the race.

by the way, good point on the helmets, but what good is avoiding a spinal injury if you crush your skull in the process? the statistics are with me on this one. helmets save lives, just as seatbelts and life jackets do.

Re: worrell 1000 compaign [Re: h17windbtch6333] #15601
01/24/03 05:28 AM
01/24/03 05:28 AM
Cape Town, South Africa
Steve_Kwiksilver Offline
addict
Steve_Kwiksilver  Offline
addict

Cape Town, South Africa
I think you used the right word - "campaign". An event of this nature is not to be taken too lightly. If your idea of race preparation is to take along a map and a crate of beer, then yes, stick to cruising protected waterways (unless you`re from Australia or New Zealand !).
In terms of being an "elitist" event, I think that the fact that they change boats frequently, as well as the fact that it does cost a lot to do, probably excludes the average sailor, which is just as well - I`d hate to see the rescue
reports if you threw a whole bunch of weekend sailors at the Worrell. The race also attracts interest from some of the best ocean-racers, which also makes the possibility of the average guy qualifying a bit smaller.
Looking at the last Worrell from the South African team`s perspective, it was sailed on a tiny budget, since you can take the cost and multiply it by 10, so a $5000 entry fee is about 7 months income for an average guy.
If the desire is strong enough, you will make it happen.
It all depends on how big your dream is, and how much you are prepared to put into it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 681 guests, and 108 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022