Bribie Island, QLD
M
MCGriffith Offline OP
journeyman
MCGriffith  Offline OP
journeyman
M

Bribie Island, QLD
After competing in a race out at lake samsonvale against some very good racers last weekend, i recieved the following advice, not enough downhaul, however that was about the extent of the advice. Now i know the purpose of the downhaul, pocket position, the greater the wind speed the more it pushes the pocket in the sail aft hence the need for more downhaul to keep the pocket in the right position. However, that knowledge aside im still finding it a little difficult to know just how much downhaul i need, so i went out and bought a pair of ronstan indicator strips that i see so many people using, my question is, exactly how do i position them, is it a rough placement, or is it a precise thing, so many centimetres above the goose neck etc. Also, i know that setting the downhaul isnt an exact science with a certain number on the strip to a certain windspeed, that its all about looking at the sail and setting it for what the sail looks like and the winds you expect to encounter on the water, and that every sail is different, but, just to get a general idea, roughly what setting on the downhaul scale should i be setting it for different wind speeds, and if possible are there any tips any one can provide about visually checking the sail for correct downhaul, i.e. how do u set and check you downhaul settings.

Cheers.
Michael

Last edited by MCGriffith; 11/21/08 01:33 AM.
-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Downhaul [Re: MCGriffith] #161034
11/21/08 02:06 AM
11/21/08 02:06 AM
Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
ncik Offline
old hand
ncik  Offline
old hand

Brisbane, Queensland, Australi...
It is generally feel. Pull more on as the wind increases. Different conditions require different approaches. But generally in medium wind...

If it feels like you are going slow, pull some on to flatten and reduce the drag of the sail.

If it feels like you are going sideways, pull some on to reduce power in the sail by flattening it. Also requires bearing off a little and moving forwards to increase boat speed and weather helm which will increase lift of the centreboards, rudders and hull.

Re: Downhaul [Re: MCGriffith] #161036
11/21/08 03:06 AM
11/21/08 03:06 AM
Somers, Westernport Bay, Victo...
Peter_Foulsum Offline
addict
Peter_Foulsum  Offline
addict

Somers, Westernport Bay, Victo...
Michael,

I fully agree with Nick.

Before you fit your position the indicators, have a sail around and take a marker with you so you can mark the position of the sail on at an adjacent point on the mast when the downhaul is fully released. This will probably be different from what you see when you first hoist the sail on the beach.

Also measure how much overall downhaul can be achieved and mark that too. Use the top mark as your locator for the strips.

Regards,

Peter

Mosquito 1814
Macka Mozzie

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 454 guests, and 76 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022