Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) #167465
02/06/09 02:33 PM
02/06/09 02:33 PM
Chesapeake Bay
MD BlowBoater Offline OP
MD BlowBoater  Offline OP

Chesapeake Bay
Ok guys, I posted a while back when I first got my NACRA and the help was awesome. Now that it's getting warmer around here this weekend I figure I should do some work on her.

The dagger boards are a little banged up.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
-The whole leading edge is scraped up as well. Can I fill in the chips and recoat the entire boards? What would I coat them with? I'm clueless.

Bottom of Hulls
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Looks like they coated the bottom with something, no idea what it is. It is rubbed through in one spot into the gel coat and there are smaller chips here and there. I'm guessing this is because they lived on the beach to protect it a little but I won't be doing any beaching and if I do it will just be to pull it up on the sand at little islands in the Bay.

Any advice on smoothing this out? Maybe sanding down that coating they put on it?(The bottom looks thin, you can see light through when the sun is bright but it all feels solid, no soft spots, is that normal?) And what should I patch the chips with?

Any help is much appreciated.

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: MD BlowBoater] #167477
02/06/09 04:23 PM
02/06/09 04:23 PM
Maryland
Kris Hathaway Offline
addict
Kris Hathaway  Offline
addict

Maryland
Sweat equity into an abused beachcat. Been there. Done that!

You will become very proficient with gel coat finishing, Grasshopper, which can be very rewarding once you get the right equipment and practice. The brown/tan stuff looks like epoxy that is a repair from beaching and colliding with another object(s). If the tan epoxy is sound, fair it out with something like West Systems epoxy and build up the worn spots. If you are really compulsive, grind/sand off the tan epoxy to see what really lies beneath. Thereafter, shoot some gel coat. Goes on heavy (20mils?) per coat and requires prep sanding (150 grit?)to achieve a mechanical bond. I prefer to use non-waxed until my final coat to keep it tacky during build up via chemical bond between coats (I prefer 3 for you project and about 20 mins between coats).

Let it cure well (1-3 days depending upon humidity and temp). If need be, sand off any drips after curing with 220ish. Quick wet sand with 600 and then the magic. Rough cut polish (its like tooth paste consistency) with an electric grinder and buff wheel. Followed by regular marine polish with grinder and then hand paste wax and electric buffer.

I'll defer on boards.

Last edited by Kris Hathaway; 02/06/09 04:24 PM.

Kris Hathaway
Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: MD BlowBoater] #167479
02/06/09 04:39 PM
02/06/09 04:39 PM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
does that daggerboard have a wood core? It appears to have been cut off on the end. To my knowledge, wood cores were not used in Nacra factory boards.

Jake Kohl
Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: Kris Hathaway] #167480
02/06/09 04:48 PM
02/06/09 04:48 PM
Q
Quarath Offline
journeyman
Quarath  Offline
journeyman
Q

Sorry to Hi-jack but I am looking at doing the same thing on a Prindle 18 where the bottoms are worn thin. It's just worn through the gel coat I think and starting on the fiberglass. do I do the same thing with epoxy or do I need to layer on some fiberglass. I have never done this and have no clue but I am a do it yourself kind a guy and would really like to learn.

It there any step by step pages or books anyone knows about? What kind of sprayer can you spray on gel coat with? I have a spray gun that came with a compressor that I have never used. I would like to refinish/coat the entire hull as the current gel coat is pretty dull and faded.

I also may want to custom paint some with an airbrush but am not sure what paint to use for that and was wondering you can then put a clear gel coat finish over that?

Last edited by Quarath; 02/06/09 04:50 PM.
Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: Quarath] #167482
02/06/09 05:26 PM
02/06/09 05:26 PM
Chesapeake Bay
MD BlowBoater Offline OP

Chesapeake Bay
Thanks! I think the tan(epoxy) is pretty sound. I just want to smooth it all out a little. That stuff is going to be in the water most of the time so I'm not super concerned about the appearance. Do I have to worry about the epoxy finish or can I sand it all smooth after it hardens? (I guess I'll find this out when I look at the instruction for the stuff but first hand info is always better)

So I should use another epoxy to build up the chips and thin spots?

The boards are structurally sound. They just look rough. Would spraying on some gel coat hold up to usage for a while?

Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: MD BlowBoater] #167487
02/06/09 07:45 PM
02/06/09 07:45 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
Hi Guy,

Jake, I believe has some instructional videos of how to do Hull repairs that are very good .... Jake where can this gentleman see/view your videos???

Also Jeremy at Surf City Catamarans has some excellent videos also.

In the Hobie HotLine they have been running a series on doing hull repairs to Hobies .... your repairs are no different in reality.

In the pics it looks like someone used "MarineTex" to repair your hulls previously (availible at West Marine .... and DON'T you even think about using it!!!)

I use WEST Epoxy because of the ease of useage w/ the metering pumps available ... and there are thickeners availible to make it "THICK" ....

Find a local Automotive Paint Supplier in your area for wet/dry sand paper ... if you wish to spray gellcoat, and you use a seperate shop aircompresser make sure you use a Micron Air Filter to capture/remove compresser oil at the sprayer.

The better the repair and prep work ... the better the finished repair .... extra time spent sanding in the early stages .... saves time and materials in the end and leads to a better end result

I fill-in/repair my daggerboards every couple years and recoat them w/ WEST Epoxy ... I then sand them up to 2000grit Wet/Dry and then polish ... There is no such thing as a tooooo smooooooth daggerboard or rudderblade.

MD you have my E-Mail address ... or send me a PM, I'll tell you some of the tricks: brushes, mixing, gloves, tape for masking ... But view Jakes and Jeremy's video's ... excellent and you can learn so much just watching thats impossible to be explained adquately w/ words

Oh find DEFENDER Industries and Jamestown Distributers(?) ... you'll be purchasing you cloth and other supplies from them most likely.

HarryMurphey

Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: HMurphey] #167497
02/06/09 09:42 PM
02/06/09 09:42 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
I wonder .....

.... there are two easy ways to get a daggerboard to look like that ...

... Cut it with a saw ... or drag it on blacktop road at "speed".

Anyone want to place bets ....

Harry

Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: HMurphey] #167498
02/06/09 09:45 PM
02/06/09 09:45 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
You should try to avoid gel-coating over Epoxy. It's do-able ,but has a less than perfect success rate.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #167515
02/07/09 06:54 AM
02/07/09 06:54 AM
Netherlands
DennisMe Offline
addict
DennisMe  Offline
addict

Netherlands
Don't even think about just slapping on epoxy and sanding it down later. That stuff is really tough to sand. It is hard and also clogs up sandpaper real fast.
Aim to get it right the first time around!
Dennis

Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: DennisMe] #167519
02/07/09 08:25 AM
02/07/09 08:25 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
I don't have any videos (and I've neglected my website for a while), but there is some detail on my website about doing fiberglass work and bottom jobs. If you really want to go overboard with it, my first part of an unfinished two-part series is here:

http://www.teamseacats.com/index.php?s=bottom+job http://www.teamseacats.com/index.php?s=bottom+job

Epoxy itself does not sand well and it makes a good filler only if you don't plan for it to be the last layer. Epoxy yellows quickly with exposure to sunlight leaving it looking pretty bad. Ideally, you want to fill minor imperfections with a body filler. There are marine specific versions but I've had good success with the premium bondo brand...make sure you use the premium. Body filler is not very durable and will definitely need to be top coated with gelcoat...but it's a really involved process to do all this and get a good result...and there's not much instruction on it. If you think you want to go this route, read that article and ask some questions - it might finally motivate me to complete part II! grin

Jake Kohl
Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: Jake] #167522
02/07/09 08:45 AM
02/07/09 08:45 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"...but it's a really involved process to do all this and get a good result"

Yes and no. What are you trying to achieve?

If it's perfection then Jake is right 100%!

If you just want a sound boat for recreational sailing, and you are going to be dragging the boat on the beach, you don't need to be nearly so fussy. You can even apply gel coat with a roller. . . or not at all!

I had an old H16 that was more beer drinking platform than racer. When the bottoms needed to be done, I only sanded the repair with 80 grit and left them unfinished. The boat sailed just fine, and after a couple of "hard" landings you couldn't tell what the bottom was finished with.

Last edited by pgp; 02/07/09 08:53 AM.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: pgp] #167523
02/07/09 08:52 AM
02/07/09 08:52 AM
South Carolina
Jake Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Jake  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

South Carolina
well put pete...I went for the sort of anal-retentive finish that was better than new. For most people and most recreation, it's just not necessary.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jake Kohl
Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: Jake] #167524
02/07/09 08:55 AM
02/07/09 08:55 AM
pgp Offline
Carpal Tunnel
pgp  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Do you have any shots of the blocks that serious racers put their boats on? That might help this guy decide which direction he wants to go.

Pete Pollard
Blade 702

'When you have a lot of things to do, it's best to get your nap out of the way first.

Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: Jake] #167529
02/07/09 10:40 AM
02/07/09 10:40 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
I'm actually doing the bottom job on my boat right now and Jake's tutorial has proven very useful. Getting the longboard is the key. It'll save you hours of time and without it, you risk your hulls getting all fubar'd.
[Linked Image]

Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: ThunderMuffin] #167530
02/07/09 10:47 AM
02/07/09 10:47 AM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Plus, strapping your loose hull to the sawhorse isn't a bad idea either.

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #167531
02/07/09 10:51 AM
02/07/09 10:51 AM
Portland, Maine
T
ThunderMuffin Offline
Carpal Tunnel
ThunderMuffin  Offline
Carpal Tunnel
T

Portland, Maine
yep. So when the whole thing blows away, you'd have metal sawhorses with sharp legs punching holes in all kinds of things. Better to just take the hulls off and put them on the ground.

Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: ThunderMuffin] #167547
02/07/09 05:12 PM
02/07/09 05:12 PM
Chesapeake Bay
MD BlowBoater Offline OP

Chesapeake Bay
Wow, those are some pretty hulls. I don't hope to achieve anything near that realm of repair. I basically just don't want it to sink on me and be fairly smooth so she glides through the water a little better. Once I take it apart and flip the hulls over I think I'll get a better idea of what needs to be done.

How hard is it to get a good finish when spraying on gel coat? Do you recommend being an experienced painter? Maybe down the road I'll restore the boat and get that nice gloss back to the entire hulls(maybe a different color? red, dark blue, would that work?)

Last edited by MD BlowBoater; 02/07/09 05:14 PM.
Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: MD BlowBoater] #167561
02/07/09 07:55 PM
02/07/09 07:55 PM
South Florida & the Keys
arbo06 Offline
Pooh-Bah
arbo06  Offline
Pooh-Bah

South Florida & the Keys
Evercoat, polyester glazing putty. Sandable, primer freindly, marine product.... look iy up and see if it fits yer application. I think it does.

Eric Arbogast
ARC 2101
Miami Yacht Club
Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: arbo06] #167650
02/08/09 11:44 PM
02/08/09 11:44 PM
japan
erice Offline
old hand
erice  Offline
old hand

japan
i had similar wear on the bottom of my nacra hulls

fortunately nothing had been done to them so i was able to clean them up nicely with 2 thick gel coat mixes brushed on with a paint brush, not perfectly fair but i don't race

if you've got a previous epoxy bottom job already on your hulls then you are probably best to continue with epoxy

something in epoxy inhibits the catalytic reaction in gelcoat, polyester resin, so it just stays tacky and either never sets or sets so weak that it peels off in next to no time

for your daggerboards, just clean them up with sandpaper and then give the bases a couple of coats of white gelcoat

for the leading edge chips/holes you could just fill them with 5minute araldite, or drip some white gelcoat in there a few times

eric e
1982 nacra 5.2 - 2158
2009 weta tri - 294
Re: Dagger Board/Hull Repair (Minor) [Re: erice] #167715
02/09/09 01:52 PM
02/09/09 01:52 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
What Eric is refering to is the "Amine Blush" that occurs in the final stages of the epoxy curing (at least w/ WEST Epoxy). Also note that research has shown that epoxies bond better to "cured" polyester resins then fresh/new polyester resins do. But there are a few tricks ...

1) Surface prep is KEY ...
2) You can not rush ... curing times are critical.
3) Gelcoat is designed to cure WITH OUT AIR ... so unless you are using it in a mold you need to have the formule w/ parafin(wax) so it will harden
4) If spraying gelcoat w/ an "aircompressor", compressor oil droplets can cause the gellcoat to never harden. You must use air filters to eliminate the aerosolized (small droplets) oil. Or you can just brush the gelcoat w/parafin on and sand the heck out of it w/ wet/dry paper ... start w/180 grit to cut the wax off then 220, 320, 400, 600, 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000, ... now polish w/ polishing compound and it will look like Jake's!!!

Now, you can accelerate the epoxy's curing w/ heat and UV light. The trick to "amine blush" to let it run it's course which take 3-4 days in a garage/inside .... if outside w/ strong sunlight/UV radiation that time can be reduced. Sand the cured epoxy up to 600 to make sure the repair is Ok ... then resand the repair w/ 220 wet/dry to rough up the epoxy repair so that the gelcoat will adhere to the epoxy.

It's been my observation that most people "rush" the curing times .... with predictable results.

First you need to determine how much is missing from the bottom of your daggerboard, as there are several option on how to do that repair ... 1/2" or 1" or 6" it will make a difference on the technic used.

Harry Murphey

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 409 guests, and 98 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022