2/3rds of the voters expressed to favour our first worlds, somewhere in 2004, to be held in an area with a significant F16 following.

I take this result to hart and will give priority to this option.

The only two location that come to mind are :

-1- South East USA
-2- Australia

Europe may expand the list but may be to late to influence the location. As indicated to me in some private e-mails, various local regulations require us to start planning now and request permits soon.

We can have a poll on what location is prefered by the potential participants but a few reasons favour Australia at this time :

-1- stronger wind conditions; with even an assured light wind in the morning and strong wind in the afternoon at locations like rottnest Island. In effect we can garantee better a balance in light and strong conditions.

-2- It is FAR cheaper for Americans and Europeans to fly and stay in Australia than it is for Aussies to fly out to the USA. I'm sorry but this is the case.

-3- Arguably there is a slightly stronger F16 presence, if not potential in Australia than there is in the USA.

-4- Australia has her sailing season in the Winter pause of sailors in the Northern hemisphere. Effectively; european and americans sailors could ship their boat in the time when it would do nothing in the shed anyway.

-5- South Africans and sailors from South -East asia, two growth area's are relatively near to aus anyway. It would also limit costs to SA sailors whose countries economy is not doing to well.

-6- The potential for forming a near professional group of organisors and arranging charter boats is very good with respect to Australia.

-7- Arguably the best 16 foot sailors are in Australia. In the last Taipan nationals we saw for example Glenn Ashby and Steve Brewin; both A-cat world champions.

-8- With a little luck we can find ourselfs a almost paradisic location that also has a very good F16 group nearby. I've discussed this with Phill (the current Aus class head) and he feels that such an event at a particular location under investigation could draw an absolute garanteed minimum of 10 boats from the Aussie pool alone. I'm hoping to attract at least the US, EU, S-Africa and S-Asia champion crews too by arranging at least 4 charter boats. I've had contact with the builders and they feel that there is room to arrange enough charter boats for them when put together. So these crews could just fly in with only their shorty in their suitcases and race.

Down side is of course that other particpants coming from abroad would need to bring their own boats or arrange for a skipper and boat locally.

But anyways, a minimum of 14 participants should be attainable and could possibly see crews from 5 continents are area's making the event a true World Championship.

When sponsoring can be arranged we might even ship boats to the event and back but that will be a feat. Although, you'll be surprised what some Aussie sailor have been able to arrange in the past.

So for now I propose to gie priority to having this event in Australia.

If anybody thinks we;ve overlooked important aspects or has a good alternative than I strongly welcome hearing about it on my e-mail. WouterHijink@hotmail.com

Other events that we are looking into at this time :

Europeans at Carnac 2003 or 2004

With kind regards,

Wouter Hijink

Wouter Hijink
Formula 16 NED 243 (one-off; homebuild)
The Netherlands