04/08/09 12:10 PM
04/08/09 12:10 PM
R
Razkid Offline OP
stranger
Razkid  Offline OP
stranger
R

I just got back from vacation where I learned to sail on a Hobie Wave and loved it! A friend has an old Hobie 16 that has been sitting in his back yard in MA for at least 5 years and said I could have it. There is no sail but the trampoline is still on the frame. It is dismantled with the pontoons and mast sitting on the ground and the tramp leaning up against a shed. The person he got it from said something was worn out where the mast attaches. Is this repairable? It is probably about 20 years old but is there a way to tell? Are there any problems that I should look for before I take it? I figure the trampoline will have to be replaced along with the missing sail. Thanks for any info you can provide

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: Another nubie needs advice [Re: Razkid] #174291
04/08/09 12:57 PM
04/08/09 12:57 PM
Thunder Bay ON CAN
M
mmadge Offline
enthusiast
mmadge  Offline
enthusiast
M

Thunder Bay ON CAN
sounds like it is missing the mast step base,yes that is fixable.Check the hulls for soft spots particularly on the deck in front of the pylons.You will need to replace most of the standing rigging.I would suspect you will need to put min. $500 to get it in sailiable condition.Still not a bad deal to get on the water when you probably spent $50 to rent a boat for the day.For the age of the boat check the serial # at the back of the transom,last two digits is the year.

Last edited by mmadge; 04/08/09 01:03 PM.
Re: Another nubie needs advice [Re: mmadge] #174307
04/08/09 02:42 PM
04/08/09 02:42 PM

X
xanderwess
Unregistered
xanderwess
Unregistered
X

I would find the closest Hobie Dealer and get them to help you determine what the boat needs and make sure it is SAFE. There is a lot to know and alot you can miss, so have an expert help you get this boat up to speed.

Re: Another nubie needs advice [Re: ] #174322
04/08/09 06:58 PM
04/08/09 06:58 PM
SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay
HMurphey Offline
addict
HMurphey  Offline
addict

SE Pa. or Chesapeak Bay

Ma is Massachusetts I do believe ....

Chris, don't we know someone in Massachusetts ????? Who better to inspect that H16 then the HCA-NA membership chairman .....

Mike/Brucat we have a mission for you !!!!!

Harry

Re: Another nubie needs advice [Re: HMurphey] #174400
04/09/09 06:24 PM
04/09/09 06:24 PM
R
Razkid Offline OP
stranger
Razkid  Offline OP
stranger
R

Thanks for your responses. Being new to this I don't know some of the terminology. Are the pylons what the trampoline frame attaches to on the pontoons? When you say transom, do you mean the serial number is on the back of one of the pontoons? What causes a "soft" spot and how is it repaired? Do you recommend aftermarket sails and trampolines?

Re: Another nubie needs advice [Re: Razkid] #174408
04/09/09 08:19 PM
04/09/09 08:19 PM

C
Coolstr85
Unregistered
Coolstr85
Unregistered
C

Originally Posted by Razkid
Thanks for your responses. Being new to this I don't know some of the terminology. Are the pylons what the trampoline frame attaches to on the pontoons? When you say transom, do you mean the serial number is on the back of one of the pontoons? What causes a "soft" spot and how is it repaired? Do you recommend aftermarket sails and trampolines?

exactly what you said. where the trampoline frame attaches to the hull or "pontoon". check right in front of that as older 16's commonly have soft spots in that area. Soft spots are where the fiberglass has detached from the inner foam. push your hand along most of the boat and if you feel an area that is soft it will push in. its a lot more obvious then you might think. if you just have a couple small soft spots, its not that big of a deal and an easy fix. if the whole hull is soft, its probably not worth the hassle. go to hobiecat.com and look in product support. theres a writeup of how to fix soft spots and it even gives you a recommended product.

yes the transom of a boat is the back area of the hulls. and a serial number should be on both of the hulls. the last two numbers of that serial number will be the year of the boat. if you do a search of this forum there is information on what all the other numbers mean as well.

most people dont recommend after market trampolines. although cheaper, they usually wont hold up to the salt air and pressure of people climbing all over them. hobie brand ones last much longer in most, if not all, cases.

there are some great aftermarket sails out there and they will save you money. the only problem, and its kind of a major one, is ONLY hobie sails are class legal. so if you ever want to race in a hobie 16 event you must have hobie sails. but if your not ever planning on racing and just cruising around, then sure, there are some very good aftermarket sails out there.

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 407 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,404
Posts267,055
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022