03/31/03 11:09 AM
03/31/03 11:09 AM
Key Largo, FL & Put-in-Bay, OH...
Mary Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

I am asking this in my capacity as editor/publisher of "Catamaran Sailor" magazine.

As you all know, the Worrell 1000 has been canceled for this year. It is a major blow to both competitors and fans. And I am sure it has been very painful for Michael Worrell, as well, because this race is his life's passion.

But, without questioning and criticizing management of the race, it would be nice to have input from everybody as to how YOU think this race should be done in the future?

Obviously, the race organizer has ultimate control over the format of this race, and that is as it should be. But I'm sure he would be interested in hearing the opinions of the sailors who have participated in the race in the past and would like to do so in the future.

There are so many questions, and many opinions have already been offered in other forums. It would just be nice to get all the opinions and ideas consolidated here in one place so that we can all get a better idea of what the sailors want and what would be the best format for the event and how this event can best further the cause of promoting the sport of beach-cat sailing. It is Michael Worrell's event, but it is also the most important and prestigious and challenging event in the world for beach cats. If we don't want it to die again, as it did for several years, we need to find out what people really want from this race -- as competitors and as spectators.

Michael Worrell may own the name Worrell 1000, but he does not own the venue and course. So my question is: If you were running the race, what would be the format?

Here are a just a few of the questions that have already been asked, and some answered elsewhere:

Is it good for it to be done on one-design boats as opposed to "run what you brung," and racing boat-for-boat? Or should it be raced on Portsmouth handicap?
Do you think it should just require an entry fee and everybody be on their own to have a boat and arrange for their own rooms and logistics?
Or do you like the "package plan" that was supposed to be in effect this year, where boats and all the logistical stuff is provided?
Should next year's race be for all Formula 18HT's? Or should it be for all Formula 18's? Or should it possibly include both of those Formula classes? Or do you think the current plan to do the 2004 race on Nacra F-18's is the best?
What would be the most fun and most accessible to the most number of people, boatwise and pricewise?
What is the real purpose of this race (at least for the majority of the participants) -- to try to win it? Or just to DO it and try to FINISH it?
Is it getting too complicated? Is it getting too expensive?
Do you like the idea of competitors all putting in $20,000, in addition to the package price and entry fee, so that cash prizes can be awarded? Or would you rather not have cash prizes (at least in that kind of format)?
Should it start going back to that basic premise of the barroom bet -- see if we can get from here to there?
And what about the "development class" that was so popular back in the 1980's? Do you think it would be good to have that again?
Underlying everything is the big question -- would anybody else want to undertake the organization and running of this race under a different name? It only lasted a couple years under the name World 1000, and then there was an eight-year hiatus until Michael Worrell took it over again. Nobody stepped in to take over during all that time. Would anybody be willing to do so in the future? Hmm?

-- Have You Seen This? --
Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Mary] #18027
03/31/03 12:24 PM
03/31/03 12:24 PM
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Guer_J Offline
stranger
Guer_J  Offline
stranger

San Juan, Puerto Rico
This is my opinion as a rookie & amateur sailor but big fan of the Worrell for the last 3-4 races. I think is a good idea to use formula racing, either F18, F20 or F18HT (F16?). But, choose one, I like the format that the first one on the finish line wins. Portsmouth or including more than one Formula class on the same race would be confusing for the spectator and would loose interest.
On the other hand, this race is excellent for some kind of experimental and/or developmental class. This would make the race very interesting and eye candy for the spectator and also may bring some new tech advancement to beach-cat sailing in general. Maybe set some very lose rules and the fastest boat to the line wins...
Now , prize money: How could organizers are talking about a 1million prize money , and were not able to actually put the race together for this year? . Thank God that the entry fee for the 1million $ was not in place for this year...

Jaime

Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Guer_J] #18028
03/31/03 01:39 PM
03/31/03 01:39 PM
Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
Thanks, Mary, for putting this up for broad, open discussion. When I saw your post, I immediately thought of the marathon I'll be running at the end of May. I've never run one before, and, Lord knows, I’ll lose no sleep wondering whether I'll finish in the top 100 (or thousand). All I want to do is finish, and satisfy my own personal desire to run a marathon.

Same goes for the Worrell 1000. I live in a state where seasons are referred to as "winter, followed by two weeks of damned poor sledding". In addition to environmental factors, I have young children and lots of outdoor hobbies that compete for my time. I know that I'll never be on a level with those of you who can remain more focused and sail year round. I do, however, often entertain the notion of someday entering the Worrell - for nothing more than to finish. (That goal, given the humbling nature of the sea, can be challenge enough.)

As with the big name marathons, the Worrell may require a certain level of qualification requirements, but those should be more safety related rather than a way to limit the event to top competitors.

In terms of organization, I find myself favoring the formula format.

. . . including more than one Formula class on the same race would be confusing for the spectator and would loose interest.
Jaime

I’m not so sure that multiple classes would be a problem, however, given that most folks "see" the race in terms of standings tables rather than live from the beaches along the course. The more options there are for entrants, the more the race will remain within the realm of possibility for us dreamers.

Thanks again, Mary, for kicking this off. I look forward to a generous amount of discussion of what folks would like to see for the Worrell 1000’s future.

Kevin Rose N6.0na #215 Lake Champlain (New England's "west coast") Burlington, Vermont
Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Kevin Rose] #18029
03/31/03 06:17 PM
03/31/03 06:17 PM
Mary Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

Kevin,
I don't know if you will get your wish about people talking about it a lot on this thread and on this forum. Maybe it is because the people who frequent this forum are not really interested in races like the Worrell 1000. Or maybe it is because they don't want to respond on a forum where they are registered and somebody might know who they are. They would rather complain and criticize anonymously on the Old Forum than offer positive input on the New Forum.

So here is my humble opinion:
I think the race should be open to all boats 18-20 feet that want to do it, but they have to have spinnakers (because this is usually a downwind race, and the race committee doesn't want to be up all night waiting for boats to get in).

AND, it should be scored on actual-finish-basis, no handicap.

AND, development boats should be allowed.

AND, everyone should bring their own boat and take care of their own logistics.

(Teams, should, of course, be pre-qualified and approved by the organizer on the basis of experience.)

I think that would make for a very interesting race and attract a LOT of boats. It would also attract a lot of interest because of the diversity of boats and especially because of the development class. In the "old days" of the race, the development class was the big attraction. And it was also inspiring a lot of new and interesting ideas for multihulls. We have not seen any of that happening since the development class was eliminated from the Worrell.

Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Mary] #18030
03/31/03 08:54 PM
03/31/03 08:54 PM
Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
I don't know if you will get your wish about people talking about it a lot on this thread and on this forum.

Hmmm. Given the traffic that this site sees during the Worrell 1000, I'm guessing that there are a lot of folks scratching their heads following the cancellation announcement. Come on, y'all. Where are your thoughts?

In addition to Mary's questions, what race format would entice YOU to enter the Worrell 1000.

Kevin Rose N6.0na #215 Lake Champlain (New England's "west coast") Burlington, Vermont
Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Mary] #18031
04/01/03 01:57 AM
04/01/03 01:57 AM
B
Brian5 Offline
stranger
Brian5  Offline
stranger
B

Mary, I know I won't be doing the race in this incarnation, but I love to follow it! I think the guidelines you gave sound VERY excitng! It would be incredible to have a lot of different boats competing! I wish Mike had reconsidered, and opened the race up for people with boats etc...Anyway I love your idea! Brian

Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Mary] #18032
04/01/03 08:33 AM
04/01/03 08:33 AM
MERRITTISLAND, FL
Matt M Offline
addict
Matt M  Offline
addict

MERRITTISLAND, FL
Mary,

I agree with you. Only a couple of rules; stick with the spirit of the original event.

1) More than 1 class could would be Ok but no more than 2-3 to keep max # of boats in each one. First to finish wins. This is easiest on the race commitee, easiest for spectators and provided imediate info to the racers.
2) Sail what you brought. The conditions in 1000 miles will be so varied the probability of each boat having a day in its favor is pretty good. Brand new production boats are comming out all the time, why should they be treated any different than somebodies home project. An equal oportunity event.
3) Most importantly keep it as low cost as possible. 2 weeks off work with travel, and loging is expensive enough. Most sailors I know do not have the time or drive to set up a sucessfull advertizing campain. Massive sponsorship should not have to be required. (As a side not to that, you can not expect to have the participants fund a purse for the event. A lot of people entering an event like this would have goals of being mid pack, or just finishing. Those people will not be attracted to an event if they then have to fund 20K for someone elses purse. I feel getting the enrolment up and then feeding some media to get event sponsored smaller purses would seem to me a slower but more sound way of growing this feature.)

Participation in all cat regattas is down. My take on this type of event is that it should be no different than every race. We should concentrate on increasing attendance. I personally love the competitive aspect of racing, but I go to events for the people and the "party". For me there needs to be both to make it worth spending time attending an event.

Matt

Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Matt M] #18033
04/01/03 08:47 AM
04/01/03 08:47 AM
beaufort, sc
dannyb9 Offline
enthusiast
dannyb9  Offline
enthusiast

beaufort, sc
i'm with you too mary, 18-20 ft and run what you brung. that would really open up the possibility of participating to a lot of people who would love to do it. and create some nascar style chevy vs ford rivalry, might even get some manufacturers interested.

marsh hawk
The formula idea would allow more boats [Re: Mary] #18034
04/01/03 09:23 AM
04/01/03 09:23 AM
Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
RickWhite Offline

Carpal Tunnel
RickWhite  Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Key Largo, FL and Put-in-Bay, ...
My feeling is that a Forumula 18 class would be the best bet and have only one class -- again to keep it simple and understandable to the vast audience that we have been able to acquire while reporting this event on this website.
In the Forumula class you certainly can have development boats as well as the many boats already in the mix for the f18 class.
Guess this is saying that the F18HT would not be allowed since they are much, much lighter than the specs for the F18, but if you are going use a Formula, you need to stick to the formula.
Since this is a long endurance race, you may wonder why I did not specify the Formula 20. And I would except no one can seemingly agree on anything in the F20 Class -- it has been many years in the making and still no F20 action in the U.S. Too bad, because a 20-footer would be a better boat than the 18-footer for this event.
On the other hand, perhaps this 1000-mile event could be the beginning of a solid F20 Class. Just set the maximum dimension for the Forumla and if it fits, you can race. If it doesn't, you can't. Maybe that would end the bickering for the F20 class.

When Michael Worrell introduced the idea of the package deal, I was astounded. Good deal for the teams, but what a burden to be put on the organizer. When we host the NAMSA Tradewinds Midwinter Open Cat Nationals here in Key Largo every year, we would never dream of handling housing, transportation, and boats for the 109 teams that show up. Can you imagine the logistical nightmare that would be?
The event needs to charge a fee that would cover the expenses of the organizers, and let each team be on their own -- stay where they want, drive what they want, get from spot to spot however they want, etc. Of course, for newbies to the event a booklet on suggestions for logistics would definitely be needed (i.e., how to handle the ferry situtation to Hatteras - make your own reservations, go early, or go around by roads)

As for a purse, it would be great if it were put up by another source, but certainly not a lotto deal put in by all the sailing teams.

Rick

Rick White
Catsailor Magazine & OnLineMarineStore.com
www.onlinemarinestore.com
Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Mary] #18035
04/01/03 10:41 AM
04/01/03 10:41 AM
Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
If you were running the race, what would be the format?

[color:"green"]Both F18 and F20 foot classes. The F20's would just have to get their act together.[/color]

Is it good for it to be done on one-design boats as opposed to "run what you brung," and racing boat-for-boat?

[color:"green"]While I do like one design in concept, the "run what you brung" format seems like it would promote the broadest participation. [/color]

Or should it be raced on Portsmouth handicap?

[color:"green"]No[/color]

Do you think it should just require an entry fee and everybody be on their own to have a boat and arrange for their own rooms and logistics?

[color:"green"]Yes. [/color]

Should next year's race be for all Formula 18HT's?
Or should it be for all Formula 18's?
Or should it possibly include both of those Formula classes?
Or do you think the current plan to do the 2004 race on Nacra F-18's is the best?

[color:"green"]I'll have an eye on this year's inaugural running of the Tybee 500 to see how the multi-class format works. While I agree with others that the race would be best if run with one class, I think that multiple classes would open the race up to broader participation from those who don’t want to go out and purchase a new boat each year. [/color]

What would be the most fun and most accessible to the most number of people, boatwise and pricewise?

[color:"green"] “Run what ya brung”, and forget about the big purse if it comes out of the racers’ pockets. [/color]

What is the real purpose of this race (at least for the majority of the participants) -- to try to win it?
Or just to DO it and try to FINISH it?

[color:"green"]Having not participated, I can only speculate, but I would say that finishing is the goal for many. [/color]

Is it getting too complicated?
Is it getting too expensive?

[color:"green"]Don’t know if it’s getting too complicated, but it sure seemed like it was heading down the road of too expensive. [/color]

Do you like the idea of competitors all putting in $20,000 . . .

[color:"green"]NO! [/color]

Or would you rather not have cash prizes (at least in that kind of format)?

[color:"green"]If someone out there is making tons of money that they don’t know what to do with, sure, have them donate it to the purse. But only if an equal amount gets distributed among all racers in the form of incentives/ spare parts/food/parties/etc. [/color]

Should it start going back to that basic premise of the barroom bet -- see if we can get from here to there?

[color:"green"]I think the race has evolved beyond that . . . [/color]

And what about the "development class" that was so popular back in the 1980's? Do you think it would be good to have that again?

[color:"green"]The race was unknown to me back then. I’ll be curious to hear from those involved. [/color]

Would anybody else want to undertake the organization and running of this race under a different name?

[color:"green"]Ah, now Mary, you’ve saved the biggest question for the end. Despite what’s happened to this year’s race, or the way that it’s been handled in the past, or the way that might be handled in the future, we have to give Mike Worrell credit for the time and money he’s put into the event over the years. Folks in this forum and elsewhere are never short of opinions, but I’m sure the line of individuals who’d want to step in to fill the void is pretty darned short.[/color]

Re: The formula idea would allow more boats [Re: RickWhite] #18036
04/01/03 11:32 AM
04/01/03 11:32 AM
Mary Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

My feeling is that a Forumula 18 class would be the best bet and have only one class
Rick

I totally disagree with my office-mate and stand by my opinion and recommendations. I think a one-class race -- even a formula class -- is BORING.

It should be a boat-for-boat race, all one fleet, scored strictly in order of actual finish, but with a wide variety of boats allowed to enter. Let the best boat (and team) win.

Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Mary] #18037
04/01/03 12:12 PM
04/01/03 12:12 PM
Neb
flounder Offline
enthusiast
flounder  Offline
enthusiast

Neb
I say keep the rules simple and inclusive. I see no reason to run the race only on one make / model / class of boat. If people want to see the best of the best racing then let them race whatever boat they want. Keep it simple, nothing over 21' or under 16'. Production hulls / masts / rudders only. Modified rigging / sails are allowed.

No more Portsmouth Rating. If you want to even the playing field, toss out the Portsmouth Ratings. Once the racers know there is no advantage to sailing a slower rated boat, they will go out and get what they think will win it with all out speed. Maybe the top 5 teams will end up
sailing F18 hulls... maybe not.

This could be the event that becomes the proving ground for tomorrow's technology. By adding a one million dollar purse and doing away with rating restraints, you drive technology and you create a sporting spectacle... the fusion of technology, nature and man.

Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Mary] #18038
04/01/03 02:41 PM
04/01/03 02:41 PM
chesapeake bay
davidn Offline
davidn  Offline

chesapeake bay
Mary,
Boats: I waivered back and forth between you and your "office mate" on the boats that should be involved. A formula class at least so there are more than one manufacturer. Your "run what you brung" idea is more interesting but in a year or two would coalesce around a single boat that proves itself dominant (although this could happen with a formula class as well).
Format: Keep the cash out of it, especially if you're just collecting it from the competitors. There are sponsors that will help with the bills, especially if you have media coverage and the racers will race it for a trophy and the glory. It brings back the corinthian element.
Race to win?: Some do, but I bet at least half race to finish (that would be my measure of success).
Last thought: It would be a shame to lose the race as it is one of the few (only?) cat events to make it to the general sailing public's awareness and was ready to go mainstream in a sort of X games type fashion.

No! Who will run an event like this! [Re: davidn] #18039
04/01/03 08:39 PM
04/01/03 08:39 PM
Annapolis, MD
Mark Schneider Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Mark Schneider  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Annapolis, MD
Hey
The important question is not how to run it... rather WHO WILL run it.

Just remember the following harsh facts.
Few volunteers are stepping forth and running events. For example.
Tradewinds is put on by Rick White and a small handful of volunteers from CABB. If Rick said... not this year... what are the odds that the event flies?!

When the Tampa fleet told Hobie... No, we won't run a Hobie only event.... There were NO OTHER Fleets or indiviuals who jumped up to host the midwinters. Instead... the dealer (Kirk at Key sailing)was forced to step forward (without his sailing club though) and has held the event the last two years.

The Down the Bay run by CRAC has not been held in a couple of years... WHY??? For no other reason then we don't have any volunteers to replace the saintly BJ Watkins to run it! AND WE HAVE ASKED! Before BJ... Hans Meijer deserves an enormous amount of credit for reviving the race, promoting the race and generating one of the original big distance races in the US.

The New England 100 comes and goes for periods of time depending on who will volunteer to organize the race. I am sure they have a record of the true supporters who have done more then their fair share in making the event happen.

Three new distance races are on the schedule for 2003. Rick Bliss is spearheading the Tybee 500. Steve Piche is driving the Texas 500 and Carl Roberts is pumping the Michigan 500?? So far... it looks like the they will be very succesful. This is outstanding. Thank you in advance Rick, Steve and Carl. ...

BUT, WHY do we believe that these folks will want to do all of the work next year??? Hell... they might want to race it.
We can not EXPECT them to step forward again...
We can PRAY that they will but...
Who knows what the future holds.... In general... you would be more hopeful if a club of people were behind the events... but... for Now... GREAT! Let us be sure we do not loose sight of the individuals who make a huge commitment of time and their own money for seeing these events through. And they get to run them any damn way they please (note the restriction on supercat 22's and 12' wide boats)

Mike Worrell probably could have managed this problem differently and upset many fewer people.... the would have and could have list is long....

But we must never loose sight of the fact that HE has committed the time and energy to running the race in the past and plans to do so in the future.

Mike's goal is to not run a glorified DTB or NE100! He is committed to running an international event, with prize money. Obviously... this is not the same as original intent of the race ... NOR is it friendly to the sailors who just want to compete because it is an adventure! Nevertheless... that is what he wants to do!

Until someone else steps forward and convinces us that he is committed to running a similar event and is in it for the long haul perhaps with different goals... Go Mike Worrell!

crac.sailregattas.com
Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Mary] #18040
04/01/03 09:51 PM
04/01/03 09:51 PM
Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Team_Cat_Fever Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Team_Cat_Fever  Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Roanoke Island ,N.C.
Hi Mary,
I agree with most of what you said except the development class being involved . That was tried and was Very expensive. I believe Carl Roberts and Randy both had boats in that year, not sure who else. I do know that few if any of the development boats made it. So on top of creating an arms race you introduce some serious safety concerns.It's bad enough with a known commodity.
Hope to see you and Rick at the Miami-Key Largo
Todd A. Hart
Team Cat Fever

"I said, now, I said ,pay attention boy!"

The cure for anything is salt water - sweat, tears, or the sea
Isak Dinesen
If a man is to be obsessed by something.... I suppose a boat is as good as anything... perhaps a bit better than most.
E. B. White
Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Team_Cat_Fever] #18041
04/03/03 05:42 PM
04/03/03 05:42 PM
Mary Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel
Mary  Offline OP
Carpal Tunnel

You are right about the development class raising safety concerns. But people who are concerned about their own safety aren't going to do the Worrell 1000 on any boat.

And if a development boat isn't going to be able to make it through the whole race, that will certainly become apparent during the early legs along the Florida coast.

And, as Randy Smyth told me, even the Hobie 16's used to break up in this race.

And, people have a lot more safety and communications equipment with them on the boats now than they did back in the 1980's.

You are right that building a development boat can be expensive, but the only people who would do it are the people who can afford it -- and/or who feel a calling to design a better boat.

A development boat built today would undoubtedly be much safer and stronger than some of the concoctions we saw back in the 1980's, because construction and rigging technology has made so many advances -- and we have a much greater pool of knowledge about what works and what doesn't.

Having a development class for the Worrell will give people incentive to experiment with new (and old) ideas -- not necessarily with the goal of winning the race, but just to see whether the ideas will work.

A development boat does not necessarily mean a whole new boat built from scratch -- it can be a production platform with a different type of rig.

Development boats attract a lot more spectators to the beach just to look at the different designs and ideas -- and also make the race more interesting for the media, too.

And, tied in with the safety concern, having a development class might result in somebody coming up with the perfect boat for this kind of race -- fast, strong, light, hard to capsize and easy to right, and, most of all, a boat that loves going in and out through surf and sliding up onto beaches.

The "dream boat" won't happen unless we open an avenue and give some incentive and motivation for experimentation. In my opinion, the Worrell is the perfect avenue and the perfect showcase.

Re: How should the Worrell 1000 be done? [Re: Mary] #18042
04/03/03 06:33 PM
04/03/03 06:33 PM
bobgrubb Offline
stranger
bobgrubb  Offline
stranger

I will post again but my first inclination right now without (Damn I just burnt those burgers like down in Belize)hesitation is to have catsailor magazine with an increased subscription price bear the brunt of a new race up the coast remember though that Mike Worrell may not own a lot of the so called hidden rights to run the race, his name stands strong like Hobie does in the Alter in this particular case more irons in the fire is good and all indians and no chiefs will save the day.Backwards ,yes ,but now this man feels that he is not appreciated and also wronged by the cat sailing communitie . I personally have been involved with Chip C. attempts here in Delray and now we run our little event Pirate style.Do not douse MW. from the ranks open this race up in the old MAD MAD MAD World style that will create its own excitement..........I'll be back...

Re: The formula idea would allow more boats [Re: Mary] #18043
04/03/03 07:12 PM
04/03/03 07:12 PM
M
Mark L Offline
Mark L  Offline
M

Why not return it to it's roots, and have it with few or no designated check points, allowing it to be a true "iron man" event. Sailors would have to pick the best times and places to rest (big time stategy decisions). Each boat would have to have it's own shore team following it up the coast. Too bad there's no time on distance handicap system, that would allow for a reverse start resulting in the first to the line winning the event.

This greatly simplifies the running of the event for the organizers. They would just have to fire a gun in Florida and wave a checkered flag in Virginia. The problem MW is going to have with running anything like the all inclusive race/fee type of event like been done recently, is now not many people are going to be trusting him with "up front" money. This greatly limits his options as to what type of event he can run.

Good luck, ML

Re: The formula idea would allow more boats [Re: Mark L] #18044
04/03/03 09:47 PM
04/03/03 09:47 PM
Burlington, Vermont USA
K
Kevin Rose Offline
enthusiast
Kevin Rose  Offline
enthusiast
K

Burlington, Vermont USA
The thought of returning the Worrell 1000 to its roots brings to mind events like The Race. Virtually no rules. Just get around the planet as fast as you can and hope that you don't self-destruct in the southern ocean.

While there are the obvious safety concerns, returning the Worrell to its roots certainly does have great appeal as a media event. In today's age of reality TV, we'd have a true "Survivor" spectacle.

To what extent are race organizers liable in such an event?

Re: The formula idea would allow more boats [Re: Kevin Rose] #18045
04/03/03 11:25 PM
04/03/03 11:25 PM
Wilmington,NC
Dlennard Offline
addict
Dlennard  Offline
addict

Wilmington,NC
Mary and Kevin,

The reason not to do the race with the build your own boat format is that I understand in years past most boats did not make it to the finish. It would not be very good for media and spectators to watch a few boats trying to make it up the coast and not even being close to each other. I agree it would be fun to see the designs though.
As far as putting in all the check points, it is better for media and spectators to watch a start and finish each day. If you just raced the whole distance without any stops teams would be spread out all over. Spectators would only come to the start and finish (that would be two media events compared to 26 with check points).
I think F 18 or F 20 would be good and you would be sailing boat for boat and could have different manufactures competing aginst each other.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Damon Linkous 

Search

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 741 guests, and 84 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Darryl, zorro, CraigJ, PaulEddo2, AUS180
8150 Registered Users
Top Posters(30 Days)
Forum Statistics
Forums26
Topics22,405
Posts267,056
Members8,150
Most Online2,167
Dec 19th, 2022